Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2014 11:15:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Insulated?

insulated the crap out of mine, & a simple sealed oil heater does the trick.

Now, winter here gets down into the teens and twenties at worst.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#3]
You are going to want the ceiling insulated. I didn't have mine at first and I was getting ice dams. Plus, you'll want a fan circulating the air. Above my knees it was fairly warm but below, not much change. This was with a kerosene heater.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Mr Heater.  Northern Tool usually has a pretty good price on them.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Modine Hot Dawg.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd go with a Reznor UDAP forced air garage heater. We used to install modine, but have had some issues with them, so we switched to Reznor. Haven't had any issues and we installed a ton of them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The lowest price I found was around 1k. Little out of my price range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go with a Reznor UDAP forced air garage heater. We used to install modine, but have had some issues with them, so we switched to Reznor. Haven't had any issues and we installed a ton of them.

The lowest price I found was around 1k. Little out of my price range.

Moines are the go to standard in these parts for garage heaters.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I have two radiant heaters hanging from the ceiling.  Takes a while to heat the place up but does a great job.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Radiant heaters.  Like standing in the sun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:41:51 AM EDT
[#14]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mr Heater.  Northern Tool usually has a pretty good price on them.  I love mine.

Im guessing you meant this?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577751_200577751

Yep.  That's it.  Well, depends on what size of an area and how much insulation it has to decide on what size.  They make them in 50k btu and 80k btu.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I can install a ceiling fan. That was on the to do list for summer.

Insulating the ceiling may not happen this winter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are going to want the ceiling insulated. I didn't have mine at first and I was getting ice dams. Plus, you'll want a fan circulating the air. Above my knees it was fairly warm but below, not much change. This was with a kerosene heater.

Yeah bud, you need to insulate your ceiling before you spend $ on anything else. That's where most of the heat is lost.

You mentioned rafters, is yours a vaulted ceiling? Do you have collar ties or ceiling joists?

If you want long term bang for the buck you need to plan on sealing off your ceiling, otherwise it's just a barn. Insulation, sheetrock and fire tape at a minimum. It's not that hard to do nor that expensive, both materials are much cheaper than a heater. If you have some basic know-how they're easy enough to install on your own.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:00:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Check with some local HVAC contractors.You might find a gas fired unit heater that has been removed ----for whatever reason.
My son hs 3 or 4 of them in his garage that were removed from a building that upgraded to a central system.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#17]
With ceiling and walls insulated I can keep it at 50 deg with a $20 electric heater with a 10 deg outside temp. Obviously at an increased electric bill.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:29:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:29:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:35:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I know it needs to be done. Its a vaulted ceiling with joists. I would have to drop my 8' lights  and put drywall up. Along with the garage door opener. Its not hard, its just going to be a PITA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah bud, you need to insulate your ceiling before you spend $ on anything else. That's where most of the heat is lost.

You mentioned rafters, is yours a vaulted ceiling? Do you have collar ties or ceiling joists?

If you want long term bang for the buck you need to plan on sealing off your ceiling, otherwise it's just a barn. Insulation, sheetrock and fire tape at a minimum. It's not that hard to do nor that expensive, both materials are much cheaper than a heater. If you have some basic know-how they're easy enough to install on your own.

I know it needs to be done. Its a vaulted ceiling with joists. I would have to drop my 8' lights  and put drywall up. Along with the garage door opener. Its not hard, its just going to be a PITA.

So don't drywall it, at least not right away. Put in the rolled pink insulation, it's cheap anyway.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:58:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Think that would make that much of a difference?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So don't drywall it, at least not right away. Put in the rolled pink insulation, it's cheap anyway.

Think that would make that much of a difference?

Yeah, a HUGE difference.

Don't assume that DIY is the cheapest way either. There's an insulation company around here that can do the job for less than I can buy the material. Which is good for me, because insulating is one of the few jobs I won't do. I hate that shit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Definitely make a difference. Drywall may help in a small way by eliminating drafts if your install is a bit wonky, but the lion's share of the work of insulating your home is covered by the pink stuff. The drywall is there to look pretty and help prevent fire spread. ANYTHING you do at this point will be better than nothing, but going ahead with insulation is going to make a tremendous difference.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Just make sure you put in some rafter baffles to get airflow under the roof deck before insulating. If you get the paper faced insulation you can just staple it to the ceiling joist and gtg. I have seen people just spray the insulation white when they were done and not even use drywall. If you have the room check craigslist for used furnace 90% or higher so you can use pvc for exhaust go to any local sheet metal shop and have them make you a plenum you will be super warm for under $500 all day long
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#28]
My favorite if I'm not walking around a allot is a heat lamp. Seriously give it a try. fast and cheap.
Or a wood burning stove.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#29]
ill state the obvious but Heat rises, so even if you get a bigger better heater you will still end up heating up the rafters before you will start to feel it. it might be worth it to put up some plywood/drywall to making the garage a "smaller" place to heat, you will lose some heat due to the ceiling not being insulted but it should make it much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Make a faux ceiling from clear plastic sheeting for now. You won't have to re-locate your lights as they will shine through the plastic sheeting.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#31]
How much time do you spend in it?
My shop doesn't have an insulated roof. I have a hanging gas furnace. I just turn the furnace on when I'm out there and it blows warm air directly on me.It heats up enough to be comfortable in just a few minutes. I turn it off when I leave and it goes back to freezing. The small amount of heat I generate while out there doesn't have any real effect on the gas bill.

If I were trying to control the temp. all the time, then more insulation would be in order.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Look for an old natural gas forced air home furnace on Craigslist.  I got a good 60k BTU high efficiency used one for free from a friend who installs furnaces.  I put a 90 deg plenum on top so it blows hot air directly to my primary work area.  My garage is a 2 stall.  The walls aren't insulated but the ceiling is.  It will get up to 60 deg inside in less than an hour if it is below zero outside.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:56:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:24:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ok I put an ad on CL and a guy called me up. He has a Lennox LF24-150A-5 heater that came out of a commercial building. Its in pretty good shape and he wants 325$.

It looks a little big for what I need but I would rather have larger than too small. What are your thoughts on this heater? Is that price fair or should I offer less?

Thanks
View Quote

120k BTU?  

If so, it's probably too big.  Might have missed it but what sq ft is your shop?  Ceiling height?  

I'd probably be looking at a 50k Mr Heater new for just a little more than that price or possibly a 80k Mr. Heater.  I'm heating a 30x40 with 10 ft side walls and open attic rafters with an 80k btu Mr. Heater.  It's well insulated and it heats it VERY easily.  I had a 45k btu heater but it was a little on the small side.  It would heat it but took a long time to bring up the temps.  

Lowest temps I see in my area is usually about 0 degrees and that's only for short periods of time.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ok I put an ad on CL and a guy called me up. He has a Lennox LF24-150A-5 heater that came out of a commercial building. Its in pretty good shape and he wants 325$.

It looks a little big for what I need but I would rather have larger than too small. What are your thoughts on this heater? Is that price fair or should I offer less?

Thanks
View Quote

The downside to going too big is short-cycling. To prevent short cycling you'll have to go with larger temp swings. IE, you'll be freezing because the thermostat hasn't kicked the heater on yet and 2 minutes later after the heater has been running for a minute you'll be sweating bullets...

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#38]
And insulate your doors if they aren't.   If you don't insulate you'll be heating Mother Earth.

Also, Garage Journal is a forum all about garages.  They have a whole section on heating/air conditioning for your garage.   Check it out.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My favorite if I'm not walking around a allot is a heat lamp. Seriously give it a try. fast and cheap.
Or a wood burning stove.
View Quote

I agree.  I like the cheap halogen work lights.  I like to work with plenty of light anyway, so the heat is a welcome side effect.  About $30 and an extension cord.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top