Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2014 1:32:32 PM EDT
So what sorts of things are good to build out of Teak wood?  I'm pretty new to wood working, but I'm going to be bringing home several pieces with me that are 36" long, and I can get them in virtually any thickness, in any cut, and S4S for free.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Adirondack chairs
picknic tables
planters
Battleship deck covering

Use polyurethane glue (gorilla glue) instead of normal wood glue do to the oils in the teak.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I made a dash panel for a guys jeep way back.  Turned out very nice.  Don't know what became of it.

I made trim work for a bathroom that would be around a shower.  I used epiphanes 2-part marine varnish.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Boat parts!  You can make all sorts of things for boats and probably sell them for a pretty penny too.

Or a 36" square box made from 8/4, full of 5/4 and send it to NC!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd kill for a real Teak shooting bench......
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Teak is a very oily wood that is extremely durable for outdoor use. It pretty much doesn't rot, so patio furniture, outdoor stuff, marine fittings and trim all make good use of its strengths.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd kill for a real Teak shooting bench......
View Quote

Will you travel or does it have to be a Texan?  

You can get teak at any woodcraft store.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Teak is very hard on your cutting tools.  It dulls them quickly.  

If you live in snow country, how about a "door mat" for kicking the snow off your boots before you go inside.  The door mat would be an open lattice that lets the snow fall thru.  The teak is tough, so it should hold up well to the kicking and scuffing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:06:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Teak is very hard on your cutting tools.  It dulls them quickly.  

If you live in snow country, how about a "door mat" for kicking the snow off your boots before you go inside.  The door mat would be an open lattice that lets the snow fall thru.  The teak is tough, so it should hold up well to the kicking and scuffing.
View Quote

That's actually not a half bad idea.

I'm well aware that teak's a hard and oily wood...I've been messing around with carving it and I'm constantly re-sharpening my tools.

I wish I could bring longer sections of it home, but it's all got to fit into one of my tuff boxes, and I can only fit a few pieces.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Used heavily in marine applications and or outdoor use.

Like Cedar it is not prone to rotting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top