Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2014 2:07:47 PM EDT
I have a F-250 with a 7.3 diesel and have a leaking fuel pump, again! I replaced the original leaker with a Carter, and it lasted less than 2 years. Anyone have any experience with these pumps, or can recommend one I won't have to change out every few years? Sort of a PITA to change.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any experience with a Spectrum premium diesel pump but I own a general repair shop and Spectrum is my go-to supplier for gasoline pumps. Everything is electric and in the tanks so you know what a pain in the ass those can be. Carter was good at one time but something happened there and now they are terrible. The only one worse is Airtex. You couldn't pay me to put one of those in a customer's car.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't have any experience with a Spectrum premium diesel pump but I own a general repair shop and Spectrum is my go-to supplier for gasoline pumps. Everything is electric and in the tanks so you know what a pain in the ass those can be. Carter was good at one time but something happened there and now they are terrible. The only one worse is Airtex. You couldn't pay me to put one of those in a customer's car.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. Airtex was not reviewed very well, so definitely was not on my radar. I'll give Spectrum a try. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Professional mechanic here. I agree airtex is crap. None of my suppliers even carry carter anymore. Spectrum pumps are mearly OK, IMHO. We only use them when we cant get (or the customer cannot afford) a delphi/delco/OEM. They do fail in my climate...I warranty maybe 8-10 a year, which is probably only like 5% of what I install. Local factors like my customer base and the gas they buy are probably a large factor too.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Professional mechanic here. I agree airtex is crap. None of my suppliers even carry carter anymore. Spectrum pumps are mearly OK, IMHO. We only use them when we cant get (or the customer cannot afford) a delphi/delco/OEM. They do fail in my climate...I warranty maybe 8-10 a year, which is probably only like 5% of what I install. Local factors like my customer base and the gas they buy are probably a large factor too.
View Quote

Man, I already ordered the Spectrum before you posted. I'll give it a whirl. I did install it, replaced all hoses, and changed the O-rings out on the drain valve while I was in there.  A bunch of busted knuckles, a lot of swearing and a few adult beverages, I finally got it put in. We'll see how long it lasts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top