Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 9:55:14 AM EDT
The house we bought has a gas space heater in the garage and it runs off a tank out back (had a 100 gallon tank that needs refilled).

The regulator and tank connector are not connected to anything . . . just hanging out there in the air.  

Should I mount the regulator to something and get a flexible connector from the regulator to the tank?  Anything to watch out for?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you post some pics?  That would help.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:27:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you post some pics?  That would help.
View Quote

I'll have to do it after I get home from work.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry I took so long.  Just life getting in the way.

</a>" />

Just the regulator free-floating, not attached to anything.  There is a nearby 4x4 that supports the deck that I was thinking of attaching it to and then getting a flexible hose to go from there to the tank.  Worth the effort?  A danger to myself and others?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]
That hard copper line and tank fitting will/is supporting it fine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any reasonable place to start looking for where it went through 15lbs of propane in 24hrs?  Just tighten up the connections?
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 4:04:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any reasonable place to start looking for where it went through 15lbs of propane in 24hrs?  Just tighten up the connections?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop stop stop!!!

You NEED to know where that propane is going right now!  The reason is, propane is heavier than air (as opposed to natural gas which is lighter than air).  That's what makes propane more dangerous than natural gas.  It pools in low spots waiting for an ignition source.  If the propane is leaking outside, you should be safe....but of course you need it fixed.  If it's leaking inside, that could be really bad.  

Get a squirt bottle of soapy water and spray it on all the connections.  Where you find bubbles...there's your leak.  15 lbs in 24 hrs is a LOT.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Stop stop stop!!!

You NEED to know where that propane is going right now!  The reason is, propane is heavier than air (as opposed to natural gas which is lighter than air).  That's what makes propane more dangerous than natural gas.  It pools in low spots waiting for an ignition source.  If the propane is leaking outside, you should be safe....but of course you need it fixed.  If it's leaking inside, that could be really bad.  

Get a squirt bottle of soapy water and spray it on all the connections.  Where you find bubbles...there's your leak.  15 lbs in 24 hrs is a LOT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop stop stop!!!

My exact phrase.

There was no inside leak, I checked that when I first hooked up the bottle (that and it didn't blow up).
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:56:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Stop stop stop!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop stop stop!!!

Wow!  That's almost four gallons of LP.

I'm suspicious of the installation.  A pro wouldn't put paste on flare or compression fittings...

OP, while you're checking for leaks, check the vent on the regulator too. Don't get soap in the vent, sniff or apply soap to your finger and place it at the surface of the vent hole.

With that large of a leak you should be able to smell the source.  It could also be a defective valve at the heater but if the garage is closed you should be able to smell the gas.

ETA- OP, you type faster ^^^
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Only taper pipe thread fittings need dope.
It will cause leaks on flare and gasketed fittings.

The threads on those are machine threads and are NOT sealed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Okay, so you are recommending removing the tape?  I already removed it from the fitting on the tank side (I knew it didn't need to go there).

Or should I say . . . remove the tape that is on the flare fitting on the copper tubing.  It should stay on the fittings that connect to the regulator?  Asking as I tightened the fittings yesterday and tried to get the heater to start up and it wouldn't even light the pilot.  No gas smell around the fittings outside.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:14:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Use soapy water on all connections to find possible leak. 4 gallons propane in 24 hours sounds about right.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Use soapy water on all connections to find possible leak. 4 gallons propane in 24 hours sounds about right.
View Quote

For what?  It isn't like I ran the heater at full blast for 24 hrs.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]
NVM wrong thread
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 7:01:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Okay, so you are recommending removing the tape?  I already removed it from the fitting on the tank side (I knew it didn't need to go there).

Or should I say . . . remove the tape that is on the flare fitting on the copper tubing.  It should stay on the fittings that connect to the regulator?  Asking as I tightened the fittings yesterday and tried to get the heater to start up and it wouldn't even light the pilot.  No gas smell around the fittings outside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remove anything that is not on a tapered pipe fitting.

Flare fittings rely on metal to metal deformation to seal.

Gasket fittings rely on the gasket.

Getting junk between parts that does not belong there can prevent a seal from forming.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Asking as I tightened the fittings yesterday and tried to get the heater to start up and it wouldn't even light the pilot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Asking as I tightened the fittings yesterday and tried to get the heater to start up and it wouldn't even light the pilot.

It will take time to purge the air from the line, that's why the heater wouldn't light right away.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:19:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It will take time to purge the air from the line, that's why the heater wouldn't light right away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it took about 10 minutes before.  I spent a good 30 minutes holding down that stupid knob.  I will have to disassemble the regulator/tank/compression fitting and thoroughly clean it and re-tape only the fittings that need it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:47:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Getting junk between parts that does not belong there can prevent a seal from forming.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tonight I was finally able to get out and get this completely taken care of:

Brought the regulator and all parts that I could disassemble into the garage and cleaned the massed thread tape off.   Re-taped the threads going into the regulator (not gasketed or flared).  Tightened the fitting in the shop, then took them out and re-assembled everything.  It took about 30 seconds for the pilot to light.

While I was standing there with the spray bottle of soap in hand I decided to double check the connection at the heater.

It bubbled around the flare connection.    And I had checked it before.

All tight, no more bubbles.  I will turn off the tank overnight . . . no need to tempt fate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top