Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 9:31:25 AM EDT
I came into quite a bit of 4' chain link for free. I am going to use it to fence a pretty good sized yard at a rental house I have. The house is in a very blue collar, well...redneck area.....While buying some metal for another project at the local scrap yard I saw they had a huge pile of very good condition, red, 6' T posts, heavy duty posts. I asked the guy how much they wanted for them and he said $2 apiece......

Can I use T posts to hang the 4' chain link? Will I need to concrete the posts in place? My thought is to drive the posts in on 8' centers- shorter than many folks do, no concrete, drive them in 2'. Then run a good sized piece of wire, 9 Gauge, along the top of the T posts, string the chain link and "tie it off" at the top to the wire and posts. None of the runs are too long and I would build good braces on the corners.

Yes, I know, not the "proper" way to do it but top rail, concrete and "chain link" posts and caps etc... will add quite a bit of expense to the project- the chain link posts would be 5x the cost of the T posts for example.....This is a rental place and just adding a fence so people can keep their kids and dogs in will add value to it and make it more attractive to potential renters.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Meh, I say go for it... I'm a redneck stuck in an "up-scale" subdivision... I have chickens despite the C&R's that say not to, and I fenced my backyard with t-posts & chainlink to keep them in...

Nobody has complained yet, nobody would dare to sue me over it because it's the least of the worries in the subdivision... and by the time it becomes an "issue" I hope to be long-gone...

FWIW, I did ask the next-door neighbors if they would mind if I got chickens before I actually did so...
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh, I say go for it... I'm a redneck stuck in an "up-scale" subdivision... I have chickens despite the C&R's that say not to, and I fenced my backyard with t-posts & chainlink to keep them in...

Nobody has complained yet, nobody would dare to sue me over it because it's the least of the worries in the subdivision... and by the time it becomes an "issue" I hope to be long-gone...

FWIW, I did ask the next-door neighbors if they would mind if I got chickens before I actually did so...
View Quote

I can buy 10 gauge wire on a 2000' roll- more than enough to do the whole place for $100. I figure if I run one wire at the top of the post and maybe another midway and tie the mesh off both places- and of course to the posts as well on 8' centers that should hold the mesh pretty well and it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than top rail, fittings, the special chain link posts, concrete etc.....Lots less work, no holes to dig, no concrete to mix....build the corners, drive the posts, string the wire, roll out mesh, stretch and tie up. I can do the whole place for under $300 this way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The 'controlled area' fencing we installed at our nuclear plant had nothing at the top of the chain link.  Makes it more difficult to scale by climbing or leaning a ladder onto.  Round posts or T posts ... as long as it's securely attached it should work fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top