Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/24/2014 4:07:21 PM EDT
We picked up this 1988 Montero (2D) and have been kind of puttering around with it, fixing the little things it's needed for a while.

I was wondering what is 'normal' for these?

It hits about 2500 rpms and taps out on power. It's very difficult to get up hills. We replaced the fuel filter (which was quite filthy), and that seemed to help... but seems like we should be getting more out of it.

Any suggestions on what else to check/replace?

Pics of our new beastie
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
How many miles?

What engine?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Clogged cat converter.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many miles?

What engine?
View Quote

It's the 3 liter V6. About 280,000.

Previous owner kept years of maintenance records on it, but missed some things.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Clogged cat converter.
View Quote

Unfortunately, no.  It does have a bat cat, but the boys disconnected it and it didn't fix the problem.

Doing a straight-pipe is on the list, though.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#5]
When was the last tune-up?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuel pressure regulator and/or fuel pump.

My WJ was starting to get weak on the top end, new fuel pump fixed it after 250K miles or so.  Also replaced the fuel filter, which had the regulator in it.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there any compression left?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, no.  It does have a bat cat, but the boys disconnected it and it didn't fix the problem.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Clogged cat converter.

Sometimes they don't like having the exhaust disconnected... no engines need backpressure, but the scavenging effect from a proper exhaust helps with flow.  Air filter clean?  O2 sensors ok?

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clogged cat converter.

Timing chain jumped a tooth then.

Check fuel delivery first, then check timing chain marks to see if they line up.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The last owner did a lot. Changed all the fluids, had a rotation done, etc. Not sure what else a tune up entails.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Check fuel delivery first, then check timing chain marks to see if they line up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Clogged cat converter.

Alrighty, I can have him check that tonight.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The last owner did a lot. Changed all the fluids, had a rotation done, etc. Not sure what else a tune up entails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spark plugs...

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Could be the fuel injectors are getting clogged. Run some cleaner and see if it helps. Also check to be sure all the vacuum ports are clear, clean the throttle body, change the air filter, check the timing, and do a compression leak down test on all the cylinders.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Spark plugs...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spark plugs...

Don't look at me like that. I'm used to pretty, low mileage cars
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:30:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Compression check is easy to do when you have the gage.

Fuel pressure is easy, too, with the right gage.

You can borrow (free rental) both from your local O'Reilly's Auto Parts store.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to work in a repair shop years ago as a service advisor.  We had one come in with the same symptoms, IIRC it was bad injector(s).  Was a rather expensive fix as I recall, but much cheaper if you DIY.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I used to work in a repair shop years ago as a service advisor.  We had one come in with the same symptoms, IIRC it was bad injector(s).  Was a rather expensive fix as I recall, but much cheaper if you DIY.
View Quote

"Fuel injection makes you high, shove it up your poop chute--you know why. Virus!"

I'm betting this is the case. In college I had a shitbox lancer, and it felt like the "little engine who could" until it was fixed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#18]
oh god, injectors are like, $24... each.. refurbished
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is there any compression left?
View Quote

Maybe start here with that many miles.  If that works out OK check the fringe items.

Twelve responses in 3.5 hours.  I know this isn't GD but I think that's a record in this forum  You have a following.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#20]
An update - Fuel pump is getting replaced Thursday night, but we did put some seafoam into the fuel.

WOW, talk about a big help. It runs MUCH smoother and has more power. Not a LOT more, but we were able to hit 45 on a steep hill, that we couldn't get over 25mph on before the new filter and seafoam.

Looks like it's fuel delivery. we did notice the fuel pump isn't clicking on - at least not that we can hear - so we'll be replacing that anyway, as a just-in-case.

I think the seafoam will let us postpone new injectors for a while.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#21]
you may want to replace the door latches, too. last guy i knew that had one like that had to use a hasp. there may have been a bungy cord or two, as well. i remember the only thing that worked really well was the rain-x.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#22]
It has good days and bad days.

We finally gave up and towed it two hours to my parents' house, where it can stay unregistered without getting tickets. My little brother has been working on figuring out what the issue is. He says it's only running on two cylinders when it starts up.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 12:00:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I had Ford contour that would fall on it's face when given WOT.  The fuel strainer attached to the fuel pump was full of crud.  $1.50 and 1 hour later the car ran fine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Here is my WAG from the last time I worked on one....I'd bet your fuel pressure regulator has a bad diaphragm. Engine vacuum sucks excess fuel from the fuel rails into the intake causing the engine to run rich. If you shut the engine off, residual vacuum and fuel pressure will flood then engine to the point it won't start properly. Pop the vacuum line off the regulator, and observe it while someone cycles the key for you. You may see fuel squirt out of the the regulator...that is not normal.

These trucks also had a lot of issues with the distributors. The spark timing may also have been adjusted by some well meaning idiot. Might want to drag out a timing light and verify it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I hauled a 1991 Montereo up a snowy mountain trail in my 1988 4Runner.

All the while my buddy was trying to catch up shouting, " stop, stop, it's not stuck anymore".

Link Posted: 12/31/2014 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I hauled a 1991 Montereo up a snowy mountain trail in my 1988 4Runner.

All the while my buddy was trying to catch up shouting, " stop, stop, it's not stuck anymore".

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top