Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2014 12:08:32 PM EDT
I'm brainstorming some ideas on a gift for the wife for Christmas, and thought about making her something out of wood.  She's from the Baltics so I thought about inlaying Baltic Amber into the project somehow.  I don't yet know what I would make, but just wondering if any of you guys know how to properly do something like that and keep it in.  Do you encase it in resin?  Just use basic glue?  

What If I were to cut a hole in the wood (whatever it is) and put the stone in the hole, so light could shine through?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:25:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Epoxy for both

Second way should have a dadoe for the stone's edges to sit on. Still use epoxy though.

Be helpful to see the stone in question.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's something of what I'm thinking of...

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Those are beads, don't use beads, at least not full drilled beads.  Also those don't look like Baltic amber.  

There are a couple of ways to do it.

You can sand the back of the stone flat and glue it with epoxy.

You can sink a hole in the wood the same size and shape as the stone and glue it down in the hole.  you will probably need some burs to cut the seat the stone sits on.

You can drill the amber 1/4-1/2 way through (don't get it hot).  Drive a nail partway into the wood, cut the head off and glue the amber onto the pin.

You can attach a bezel to the wood, sterling would work best.  Then set the amber by pushing the bezel down around the amber.  This will take some skill and you will probably chip some of the amber if you've never done this before.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 2:18:18 AM EDT
[#4]
That would be difficult inletting as they are probably all different shapes.  Also, not having a concept of what you want to build yet makes it harder.  Will it be a box lid, or some sort of ornament?  It might be neat in a turned bowl, to put a bunch in some random band around the bowl
I think for best presentation you'd want to avoid seeing much epoxy around the edge of the amber and the hole.  
I'm wondering if you had the wood, steamed it for a long time, with pre drilled holes, if you might be able to press the amber in, then as the wood cools it contracts around to amber tight, no glue needed?  But you probably wouldn't get more than a few done at a time, and would something bad happen to the amber if its in a steam box or tube for 30 minutes or more and 250-300F?
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71IpEum%2By3L._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

OK, I've given this a little thought and here's the only thing I keep coming back to.  

Use this stuff

Mirror Coat

And incase your little stones in a panel.

You'll have to make a shallow "box" covered in wax paper for the dimensions of your finished panel.  Carefully mix the mirror coat (do it slowly to prevent bubbles in the mix) and pour a small amount into your "box".  Now lay your amber stones in the mix such that you completely cover the area of your "box".  Pour the remaining mirror coat over the stones so that they are completely covered.  Let it cure overnight.  Now you have a crystal clear panel with your amber stones imbedded that you can use.  Maybe use as a panel for the lid to a keepsake box or framed and hung in a window so the light shines through it.  

Note, I do not know how structurally sound this "plate" will be.  Thus, I'd keep it on the small side and make sure it is framed in something to support the sides.  Maybe no bigger than a piece of copy paper.  I've used this stuff before but only on bar tops.  It cures to a very hard, scratch resistant finish.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OK, I've given this a little thought and here's the only thing I keep coming back to.  

Use this stuff

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/400/143153.jpg

Mirror Coat

You'll have to make a shallow "box" covered in wax paper for the dimensions of your finished panel.  Carefully mix the mirror coat (do it slowly to prevent bubbles in the mix) and pour a small amount into your "box".  Now lay your amber stones in the mix such that you completely cover the area of your "box".  Pour the remaining mirror coat over the stones so that they are completely covered.  Let it cure overnight.  Now you have a crystal clear panel with your amber stones imbedded that you can use.  Maybe use as a panel for the lid to a keepsake box or framed and hung in a window so the light shines through it.  

Note, I do not know how structurally sound this "plate" will be.  Thus, I'd keep it on the small side and make sure it is framed in something to support the sides.  Maybe no bigger than a piece of copy paper.  I've used this stuff before but only on bar tops.  It cures to a very hard, scratch resistant finish.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71IpEum%2By3L._SL1500_.jpg

Use this stuff

http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/400/143153.jpg

Mirror Coat

That looks awesome!  I may just try that, if not on this project, on something else.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 10:00:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Those are beads, don't use beads, at least not full drilled beads.  Also those don't look like Baltic amber.  
View Quote

It's Baltic Amber, or close enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top