Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2014 4:35:47 PM EDT
I have some small repair projects that I've been considering buying a plastic welder for. I've read that IDing the plastic can be difficult and is essential to using the correct rods/filler.

Anyone here do it?
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have done pvc welding but how about SCHMEAR method of repair

It works great if you have a vaccum pump, it will pull crap into the joint

http://www.leisuretimeok.com/service/cracks.htm

schmear pellets

Try pvc primer if it starts to soften plastic good to go

you will need the pvc  primer if you go with shmear

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I purchased a kit from Snap On that comes with multiple types of rods and flat pieces of different types of plastic filler. Has instructions and video. The trick is identifying the type of plastic your putting together. That way you can use the proper filler. If you use to much heat it will make the repair point more brittle. It takes some practice but works well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#4]
if you can spare a piece of the base material you can use that as filler (works when welding metal and cannot identify the exact material type).

a buddy of mine modifies his glocks by cutting out a wedge, heating the frame and shaping it, then using the removed section to weld the seam back together with a soldering iron.

if not, try contacting the manufacturer of xyz product and see what materials they use.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I purchased a kit from Snap On that comes with multiple types of rods and flat pieces of different types of plastic filler. Has instructions and video. The trick is identifying the type of plastic your putting together. That way you can use the proper filler. If you use to much heat it will make the repair point more brittle. It takes some practice but works well.
View Quote

We have the same kit at work, I end up using epoxy to fix what is broke. It does work ok for cosmetic damage not so for strucural repair on say an A pillar mount. Harbor freight has a kit similar to the SO.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I have some small repair projects that I've been considering buying a plastic welder for. I've read that IDing the plastic can be difficult and is essential to using the correct rods/filler.

View Quote

Anyone here do it?

Used to do a lot of plastic welding - pvc, ldpe, hdpe, pu, pp, abs, etc.

Cleanliness is key, next to using the right filler rod.

Being able to weld also helps, although I taught hundreds of people how to do simple welds.

What specific questions do you have?

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have done pvc welding but how about SCHMEAR method of repair

It works great if you have a vaccum pump, it will pull crap into the joint

http://www.leisuretimeok.com/service/cracks.htm

schmear pellets

Try pvc primer if it starts to soften plastic good to go

you will need the pvc  primer if you go with shmear

View Quote

Most people with older airplanes are well familiar with this technique, of necessity,
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I have done quite a bit of drive belt welding with a specialty kit.  Too bad that machine was a shitty design.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:09:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Make sure you have a good ground!  
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I used Urethane Supply company's Plastifix kit and it worked great.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:33:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
if you can spare a piece of the base material you can use that as filler (works when welding metal and cannot identify the exact material type).

a buddy of mine modifies his glocks by cutting out a wedge, heating the frame and shaping it, then using the removed section to weld the seam back together with a soldering iron.

if not, try contacting the manufacturer of xyz product and see what materials they use.
View Quote

Solder uses filler that melts below around 800 F.
Filler above that is brazing.

Melting the base material is welding (with or without filler).
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:49:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I used a soldering iron and a zip tie as filler on a radiator nipple for the catch can that broke off. Still holding 1.5 years later :)
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:55:17 AM EDT
[#13]
this stuff works as advertised.........even if my BIL does own the company and the  patents.......
It was developed specifically to repair holding tanks on RV's.

http://www.plasti-mend.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top