Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 2:20:50 AM EDT
We moved in a few years ago and there is a window in our shower.

Bathroom is small, 5'x8'

Area above the bathtub is tiled but there is a window in it on the 5' wall

we use cheap mini blinds to keep the water off the window, but its a pain in the ass to change those out every few week because they get scummy

Id like to keep the window in there for the natural light and not have to repair/replace siding on the exterior

can I put a vinyl replacement window in there with pvc/aazak trim around it, and silicone the seams to eliminate having to have the blinds in there?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Not an expert on this stuff but your idea sounds pretty good. Just seal area around the window really well so water cannot seep through and I see no reason for it to be a problem.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#2]
you could do stained glass or a frosted glass so you dont have to worry about anything. in college my shower had a frosted glass window in it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Lowes sells frosted film in sheets. I put them up in my garage windows.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Replace w/ glass bock.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 12:37:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to suggest glass blocks, too.  They joints are grouted and are waterproof.  

If they get wet the grout will eventually get moldy.  You can use Comet cleanser or X-14 to bleach them or scrub them clean.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
We have a small window in one of our showers.  We put the static cling window film on that we got from Home Depot.  $25 a roll.  Been on almost 5 years without any issues.  Lets light in but keeps your privacy.  Lots of designs available.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I am in the middle of a remodel and relocated the shower to where the window was.  It is vinyl and the glass is frosted.  They framed the window and will tile up to the vinyl frame.

Here are some crappy phone pics

Before

After

Frame.  Direct light messes with the phone
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#10]
When I remodeled my bathroom, I removed the wood framed, lead crystal window over the bath tub and replaced it with tinted glass blocks since I was moving the shower to that area. It had just a garden tub under it with a small shower in the middle of the room.
Once I removed the window, I reframed it to fit the glass block window using pressure treated lumber.  Of course that is all sealed up and covered with tile, but one of those just in case measures.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I say glass block also but go to the Home Depot and ask about "mechanical set" you don't need mortar and it all gets caulked up at the end, perfect for showers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top