Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 6:19:35 PM EDT
How much should i expect to pay a plumber to replace a pressure reduction valve?  I had a plumber come out  to do some other work and while he was there he checked the pressure and it is right at 90 psi.  He said it should be between 50 and 75psi.  The price he quoted me was almost $500.00  to change out a $67.00 valve.   Plumbing is one thing i wont fuck with, so no , i wont do it myself.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#1]
They make rebuild kits that only take a few minutes to replace.  Take a picture of it and carry it over to your plumbing parts house.  

Don't pay a plumber.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The biggest problem is usually the lousy installations on many.
You need  two valves to isolate the things and a a union joint in the isolated pipe section with the PRV.
Or you can dump all the water in the house piping into the room the PRV is in.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 12:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I replaced mine last year and spent about $90 for the valve, extra piping, and those nifty little connectors.  If I had actually known what I was doing, I probably could've done it for a lot less, but that said, $90 isn't bad at all.  I first worked my butt off trying to get everything cut out and installed, then realized I put it in upside down, lol.  But about 6hrs and a few trips to Home Depot later, I got it done.  

It's probably so expensive because the plumber is going to cut the piping and he may solder it back, which would probably be somewhere around 2-3hrs for a professional, including going to get the parts.  You can probably hire a cheapo Joe-Bob plumber to do it for less and they could still do a decent job.  

Looking back on it, it's really an easy job.  You might want to reconsider doing it yourself.  With a little more pre-planning than what I did, you can replace it and learn a little more about plumbing all at the same time.  

Take a pic of it and where it is in relation to your house, whether inside a wall (like mine) or outside.  If it's outside, $500 seems like taking advantage.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Its located under my water heater in my garage, he said it would have to be cut out because of how close it is to the underside of the platform the water heater sits on.He said it would take him about an hour to do the work. I completly understand the guy has to make money but he is charging $400.00 per hour for labor!  WTF?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Its located under my water heater in my garage, he said it would have to be cut out because of how close it is to the underside of the platform the water heater sits on.He said it would take him about an hour to do the work. I completly understand the guy has to make money but he is charging $400.00 per hour for labor!  WTF?
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#6]
If it's too high ask another plumber to quote you.

I installed a PRV on my main water line a couple years ago as the pressure we were getting at our place routinely was around 85psi.  I installed 2 soldered unions on either side of the valve, so essentially one side of the union is soldered, the other side is threaded.  So now if I have to replace the valve, I unscrew each union and slide it right out, then slide the new one in.  You should check about getting a similar setup for yours because you'll have to deal with it again after a certain number of years.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 10:02:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:06:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let's take away the cost of just the valve, plus the two ball valves, unions, pipe, and probably a check valve (required in some municipalities) and let's focus in on the hidden costs you don't see that are involved with the job...

1) The guy will probably have a warranty on the parts and labor. If it goes bad he eats it.
2) Time involved in picking up the parts you need, plus fuel and wear and tear on his vehicle. I have no idea how far he needs to travel from your house to a supply shop but the further out you live the more it costs.
3) Insurance/bonding
4) Licensing
5) Workers comp
6) Tools to perform the job properly
7) Advertising so you can find him
8) Continuing education to keep up on industry changes and sometimes licensing requirements

Now if you would, take 2min of your time and place a dollar amount next to the eight items I have listed above. I will check back later tomorrow and see how close you are to figuring out the true operating cost and what his companies real profits are off that $500 sale.
View Quote

This

And that's a quick list of costs!

Although $500 seems high to me too, but I have not seen it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a quick video.  I would relocate a new one out from underneath the water heater.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top