Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2014 1:18:26 AM EDT
I'm making a wall rack to hang all these clamps from. It looks simple enough to use, is there anything to watch out for?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Just make sure your depth settings on the jig and the stop for the drill bit are correct for the thickness of your material.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Good choice, there isn't a better pocket hole jig available. I've used mine quite a bit and swear by it.

First recommendation is probably obvious, make sure you drill some practice holes in scrap wood. Secondly, if you're using soft woods the pilot hole isn't guaranteed, you still have to aim some.

You don't need all four bolts to hold down your stock and when drilling 2+" material it isn't even an option. Two bolts will do fine. I've built several outdoor cabinets out of 3x redwood with only two bolts and never had a problem. You can work on it all day and the only thing that might need adjusting is the stock clamp to keep tension.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:34:15 AM EDT
[#3]
How's it going man? I'm just gonna follow the directions on this first project. I tried to do it by drilling staight through the side pieces into the cross members. I haven't managed to get a hole drilled straight through one piece of wood much less two. Even with a doweling jig, drilling through a 1x3 from side to side never came out straight.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I like to put some glue into the holes before I screw everything in.  Don't know if it does anything special, but I've noticed a few times my screws "stripping" so it couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one. They work well. Just make sure it's clamped down tightly.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one. They work well. Just make sure it's clamped down tightly.
View Quote

If you are using pairs of screws drill the first hole, run in the screw.
THEN drill the second hole.

It is all to easy to slightly move the jig with the leverage of the drill bit.

Some press on sandpaper on the bottom of the jig can help.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a paint paddle on the back side of the clamp so I don't mar up the finish on the wood.  I love those tools!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
This thing rocks!

I wouldn't put this in the house; but for hanging in a closet with a bunch of woodworking clamps hanging off it, it'll work.

It really highlighted how badly I need a real miter saw, this yellow piece of crap from Home Depot flexes like a contestant in a bodybuilding show.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top