Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 6:52:32 PM EDT
I am looking to get a welder and plasma cutter for a number or projects (make bumpers for my truck, metal bases for furniture and other metal sculpture projects) I have experience building gates and fences but only as an assistant doing the welds and prep work not setting up the machine.

I do a lot of woodworking and am a big fan of Festool/ high quality stuff ( buy once/ cry once) So miller seems to be calling my name. I don't plan on on doing anything over 1/2" and that is pushing it.

My big questions:

plasma cutter: looking at the miller 375: should I go with the X-TREME or just regualr? I would like a unit that I could possible hook up to a CnC platform in the future as well as hand held cuts.

Welder: I have only used a mig welder and it got the job done but for the work I want to do a tig welder would leave the best looking final product. There is a Craigslist list seller with a Miller Syncrowave 200  selling for 1800 which looks like a deal. I looked it up and it says you can use a spool gun to mig weld with but ill be honest it looks clumsy. Would you suggest using a stand alone mig and a stand alone tig?

I am not afraid to invest a little more into a tool that will get the job done and then some/ last me a lifetime but at the same time I am a hobbies/ small production shop not a professional that will be using it all day long every day.

The same seller has an acetylene torch for sale to, having a plasma cutter would having a torch too make a difference in the work I can do?

Thank You in advance!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]
All my welders are Miller, but Hypertherm is the plasma cutter you want.  I have the 375 Extreme and it does what I need, but I don't need it too often.

The Syncrowave is a solid machine, but make sure you can supply the power it needs.  I'm sure someone has run a spool gun off of a Syncro, but I never have.

If you think you are going to be welding half inch, the Miller 252 is what I would go with.

As for the oxy-acetylene set up, there is always a need to heat metal and you can always add a cutting torch.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]

I own a Syncrowave 200.  It's a solid machine and will handle your stick and TIG needs.  I have never heard of running a spoolgun off one though.  The price also seems a bit high.
The suggestion of a Miller 252 MIG is also a good one.  I own it's predesessor, the 251, with a spoolgun for those big aluminum projects.
You may want to consider a larger plasma cutter if CNC is a real possibility.  You will need the higher duty cycle.  Hypertherm is at the top of the heap for plasma cutter tech and reliability.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:35:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I am not fond of Miller welders, I am a Lincoln guy

With projects like metal sculpture, furniture bases, and smaller stuff like that, it screams for a tig welder. For that alone, I'd recommend something in the "Lincoln Precision TIG" line. I've used the 275 with great success. A benefit to using a "dedicated" tig machine like this, is that it can handle anything tig related.

A tig rig that has the following options: remote, adjustable pre and post flow, AC/DC (not the band), adjustable pulse frequency, start control, water cooled torch, and thermal shutdown makes a big difference.

You will be able to do ... well, everything. Mild steel, stainless, aluminum, and various alloys with no problem, and you will have the desired results.

Once you get a welder, you will find projects. A lot of the time, they are big projects. It may start out with a cart or something, but then it turns into "Man, I could really use some side steps for my truck ... and a steel bumper. A new trailer would be really nice, and I could make one for half the price of a store bought one!" For those projects, you want a welder that will do the job, and do it well.

For these projects, I like a stick welder. Then again, I am preferential to the manual processes. A stick welder with proper training can do any bigger projects you can come up with. I mean anything.

Most tig machines, including the Syncrowave, can run both TIG and SMAW.

------

Mig/Flux-core.
I don't like either very much, but still hold certifications in FCAW, I have let my mig certs lapse. Basically, Mig is to tig, and flux core is to stick. Mig you can do light and heavy stuff, and flux core is good for the big stuff. I have never really tried FC for small stuff, as there's really no need right now.

-----

I don't have much experience with plasma cutters, so I don't think I'll bring any info on that decision, except for get one.

-----

Oxy - Fuel setup? GET IT!

Like tinysd said, there is always a need to heat metal, especially for you fellers up north. A cutting torch is also an invaluable tool. You would more than likely end up using it weekly if not daily. Besides using a torch to cut and get your metal up to welding temp, you can: heat and temper metal, braze, and even weld with it.

I hope I've helped. If I can think of anything else to add to this thread, I'll edit this post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top