Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2014 1:05:33 PM EDT
I have a friend who bought a house last winter and now with all the rain we have had he is noticing that he has water leaking in the basement.  The basement is finished which is making this hard to find as he doesn't really want to rip out all the drywall.  We are trying to regrade the property on that side of the house as it is the lowest house on the block and I'm going to add drains but my question is should the window well be sealed to the foundation?  It's 5 feet deep and I can't find anything to suggest that it is sealed to the concrete.  If it needs to be sealed what should I use?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think I have ever seen a window well that was sealed to the foundation.  Water that enters the window well should be draining down, into the drain tile, and away from the house.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I have but was unsure if they had to be.  I think the water has to be coming in the side of the house. The drain tile is clogged somewhere or collapsed.  The window well is not filling up far enough to get to the bottom of the window for the water to be coming in that way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
how much water in the sump pit?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
how much water in the sump pit?
View Quote

This house doesn't have a sump pump it's built into the side of a a hill so the drain tile runs around the foundation and comes out the low side. I caulked up the side of the house the other day and then it rained no more water came in so I hope that works. Some of the windows up high weren't caulked well and neither were the vertical joints in the siding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top