Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2014 7:13:43 PM EDT
58 Solar panels deployed , total STC  12,000 watts.

House runs, pretty much autonomous on a 4100 watt battery  based system,

The other 8 kilowatts  are going onto the grid.

Local utility pays  6 cents per KW-Hr.

There's gotta be a better  use for  that energy.

(20) SolarWorld 260 watt  mono, made in Oregon; deployed on grid 29 September, 2014

</img />

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Indoor vegetable grow room? Bell peppers, tomatoes, etc year round?

Uses the most power during sun hours... LED lights these days are impressive for lower power usage...
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Running 4500 watts to   water heater. and around 1500 watts of  lights at the moment.

Ran   engine block heater for awhile on Wife's vehicle this morning,  waste some power to make room in the batteries for more  solar amps.

Total production yesterday was 44 Kilowatt hours.

10 KW-Hr went in the batteries,  

24  KW-H went onto the grid,

and I used 10 KW-H at the shop.

Ran some numbers on lighting efficiency.

LED are getting better, but not  yet as efficient as the F96T8 tubes.

CREE 18 watt LED claim 1600 Lumens... 89 Lumens per watt ( initial,  spec is 70% decay  over 15,000 hour life ) ,  ACTUAL lifespan is unknown.

F96T8 SPX50 are  claiming 5650 Lumens from 59 watts  95 Lumens per watt, that is mean  output over lifespan of 20,000 hours, they seem to go about 8 years  in use  here.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you bragging?  

I think he's just bragging.  What do you think?  

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Where'd you get all these panels?

Second the greenhouse option. Make the man think you're growing a forest of weed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm assuming your sized your system for winter conditions and you have lots of excess power right now? I have a tiny little off-grid system, I just stop conserving so much when the sun is shining. If some Watts are lost, I don't really care.

Not clear on what you mean by '4100 watt battery based system.' At 48V this would only be 85 Ah, which can't be right. Or is it that only 34% (4100/12000) of the Watts produced by your panels are being used to charge the batteries?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Indoor vegetable grow room? Bell peppers, tomatoes, etc year round?

Uses the most power during sun hours... LED lights these days are impressive for lower power usage...
View Quote
You'd get a better ROI with MJ.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Where'd you get all these panels?

Second the greenhouse option. Make the man think you're growing a forest of weed.
View Quote
HOUSE power array consists of:
14 Kyocera 130 watt f
rom Japan.

8 Sanyo 220 watt Mexican modules,

2 Sharp 175 watt, and 2 BPsolarex 85 watt panels are charging

24 volt, 1600 AmpHour flooded lead acidbattery bank.

House runs exclusive from a pair of Outback inverters, since 2003..

2nd array is grid tied:

12 Panasonic 230 watt modules, from Tennessee,

direct feed to power grid via Schneider TX3300 inverter. 16 Kilowatt Hours today

3rd array, online since yesterday:

20 SolarWorld 260 watt mono modules, made in Hillsboro Oregon,

grid tied via Schneider TX5000 inverter.  Produced 28 Kilowatt Hours today
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#8]
So.....apparently your pics aren't working.  Please fix them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:47:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy a Tesla or 3 and charge them batteries. go completely energy independent
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you have any high demand applications that you do somewhat irregularly? IE, dehydrating things, casting bullets with an electric lead-pot etc? Those are all things you can do now to take advantage of the increased solar output. I'm assuming your output will be greatly diminished this winter due to the decreased light you will get...

Other options I can think of will just be spewed randomly as they come to me...

Do you have an interest in pre-made meals? I like to cook, I like home-made food, I don't always have time to make a good, wholesome meal so it's nice to have frozen, pre-prepared meals that can just be dropped in the oven etc and be done with little/no prep work that day. If so, you can do a lot of your prep of those items now vs. later. The increased energy usage of cooking/prepping those items plus the usage from freezing them would ultimately save you some energy down the road and help to consume some of the energy excess you have right now. Some ideas include pre-cooked taco meat so you can just microwave it and make tacos/nachos/etc, pre-prepped lasagna that you just put in the oven and bake, pre-baked dinner rolls that you just heat & eat. The possibilities are endless.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I like the greenhouse idea. I've heard that bit coin mining is productive but a major cost is electricity which in your case could generate income while you are riding the peak energy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the electric lead pot.

I have a few hundred pounds of scrap lead,  maybe I should round up a mold, and start making cannonballs or something.

2 Volt cell, 1200 Amp-Hour

</img />

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Series string of 12 cells:

</img />

Back up power, from 400 amp hour  battery string:

</img />

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#15]
East Array, 1760 watts, battery charging exclusive.

</img />

a few Kyocera 130 watt units,  near vertical array, charges batteries in winter:

</img />

pair of OUTBACK Power inverters the one on right has been in continuous service since 2003

</img />

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Run the meter backwards during the day and forward during the night.
View Quote
This one runs the meter backwards:

(12) 230 watt SHARP modules, grid tied via Schneider  TX3300

Cumulative production 7 MegaWatt-Hours  since July 2012

</img />

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
58 Solar panels deployed , total STC  12,000 watts.House runs, pretty much autonomous on a 4100 watt battery  based system,
The other 8 kilowatts  are going onto the grid.
Local utility pays  6 cents per KW-Hr.
There's gotta be a better  use for  that energy.
View Quote

Bake some cookies, while using a space heater and the air conditioner.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Winter sun is  at low angle, near vertical panel orientation is optimized for winter charging.
House runs off battery/Inverter system exclusive.

4100 watts of PV does most of the charging. Grid power supplements  in December and January.

</img />

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Have you ever considered building some supports and taking the panels off your house's exterior?  They could be free-standing or even roof top supports.  You might even get better utilization of the solar energy on your property (more peak power, more total daily energy).

Do you do these installations professionally, or perhaps, as a sideline business?

Did you design the system you have or did it just "evolve"?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:11:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Running 4500 watts to   water heater. and around 1500 watts of  lights at the moment.
Ran   engine block heater for awhile on Wife's vehicle this morning,  waste some power to make room in the batteries for more  solar amps.
Total production yesterday was 44 Kilowatt hours.
10 KW-Hr went in the batteries,  
24  KW-H went onto the grid,
and I used 10 KW-H at the shop.
Ran some numbers on lighting efficiency.
LED are getting better, but not  yet as efficient as the F96T8 tubes.

CREE 18 watt LED claim 1600 Lumens... 89 Lumens per watt ( initial,  spec is 70% decay  over 15,000 hour life ) ,  ACTUAL lifespan is unknown.
F96T8 SPX50 are  claiming 5650 Lumens from 59 watts  95 Lumens per watt, that is mean  output over lifespan of 20,000 hours, they seem to go about 8 years  in use  here.

View Quote

I was also going to recommend grow lights, either indoor or to supplement an outdoor greenhouse.  Depending on your location, usually to extend daylight hours or added Lumens/heat.

600 watt High Pressure Sodium = 90,000 Lumens/150 Lumens per watt (high efficiency reflector recommended)
Life span of 1-2 years continuous before significant decay.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Trollslayer:
 As you've observed, the HOUSE  charging system has indeed  evolved, starting out as   one pair of Kyocera 130 watt modules, one  24 volt OUTBACK inverter and a pair of deep cycle 8D batteries.

Initially, the inverter  maintained power to  my  refrigerator, range hood, and kitchen outlets,  strictly a back-up grid failure system.

It was able to keep the  reefer running for 48 hours, without generator or grid power..

I added panels and batteries over  the years. The  last addition  to the House system is the pole mounted   array of (8)  220 watt SANYO modules facing south,  at which time I  moved 6 of the Kyocera 130 watt modules to a west facing vertical   orientation.    the house array is optimized for winter production,  when I use more power.

It gives up a lot of annual potential, but   I can seldom use more than 18 or 20 Kilowatt hours  into the battery bank, exceptions are after   a week of cloudy days, or when EQUALIZING the battery bank.

.... One other benefit of  vertical  or near vertical mounting is  keeping snow from sticking to the panels.

. House can go 8  days on batteries, with careful  conservation.

Normal  heavy   use will take the batteries down after 3 or 4 days, with no sun.

Nope, not in the solar business.

The  solar power is  strictly hobby stuff for me.

I like energy, and  like  having my OWN personal supply.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Certainly a tilt is required even without snow, even in the tropics.  You need a flushing action to keep them clean.  Still, IMO, you should get them off your house and onto stand-alone mounts, even if the mount is vertical.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:43:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'm assuming your sized your system for winter conditions and you have lots of excess power right now? I have a tiny little off-grid system, I just stop conserving so much when the sun is shining. If some Watts are lost, I don't really care.

Not clear on what you mean by '4100 watt battery based system.' At 48V this would only be 85 Ah, which can't be right. Or is it that only 34% (4100/12000) of the Watts produced by your panels are being used to charge the batteries?

View Quote
The solar array(s) that power my house total 4100 STC watts.

14 x 130 watt kyocera

8 x 220 watt Sanyo

2 x 175 watt panasonic

2 x 85 watt BP

pair of Outback FM80 charge controllers

stacked pair of Outback Power inverters.

house runs 100 percent, from a 1600 Amp hour, 24 volt battery bank.

standalone system, utility grid is backup, along with a pair of Honda eu3000 generators, just in case of emergency.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#25]
nm.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Awesome, man
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 6:38:01 AM EDT
[#27]
wow, green with envy.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
wow, green with envy.
View Quote

This.

Would love to have the land to put up lots of panels. I visited Portugal a few years ago and lots of people have setups that actually follow the sun.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Very nice. Be prepared for all of that stuff to start crapping out on you in a few years though. Solar is currently a bad technology for many applications. It's too damn expensive, inefficient and doesn't last long enough to pay for itself. It's really nice to be off the grid though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#30]
The weak spot in LED and more efficient lights is the power supplies.
Electrolytic caps other than hermetic solid tantalum have very high failure rates and short lives.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's too damn expensive, inefficient and doesn't last long enough to pay for itself.
View Quote

Wait, say what?

Solar doesn't last long enough to pay for itself? Current solar prices are well under $1/watt, throw in the federal tax credit and ever increasing electric rates and the pay-off is rather short.

FWIW, I ran the numbers on the setup that I'm working on right now. At my current electric rates, the price I paid for panels, the stuff I scrounged (wire) and the few things I need to buy yet, the payoff is well under 10 years. The warranty alone on the panels is 25 years from a reputable company. The biggest risk is the batteries and charge controller; buy from a reputable source...

Have you ever used solar? Or are you talking out your ass based upon something you read on the internet? FWIW, my mentor on my solar project has lived off-grid, with solar power since the 80's. At that time he was spending over $7/watt on panels alone and it was more cost-effective for him to go that route. Fast forward to today and it is now VERY cost-effective for people that are even currently on line-power.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Electrolytic caps other than hermetic solid tantalum have very high failure rates and short lives.
View Quote

This phenomenon and leaking, low discharge rate batteries (even Duracells) have killed or will kill all your electronics.  IMO, they constitute built-in obsolescence.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Any local bauxite?  Take up aluminum smelting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:31:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:37:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Ham radio? Big HF base unit, or maybe set up your own repeater network? That way you can make your own comms too
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Get a hot tub, and use that power to keep the water warm.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Have 3 HF stations.
And a 2 meter machine on the hill.

All battery powered.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:07:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Have 3 HF stations.And a 2 meter machine on the hill.
All battery powered.
View Quote

How about a small forge?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:17:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Wait, say what?

Solar doesn't last long enough to pay for itself? Current solar prices are well under $1/watt, throw in the federal tax credit and ever increasing electric rates and the pay-off is rather short.

FWIW, I ran the numbers on the setup that I'm working on right now. At my current electric rates, the price I paid for panels, the stuff I scrounged (wire) and the few things I need to buy yet, the payoff is well under 10 years. The warranty alone on the panels is 25 years from a reputable company. The biggest risk is the batteries and charge controller; buy from a reputable source...

Have you ever used solar? Or are you talking out your ass based upon something you read on the internet? FWIW, my mentor on my solar project has lived off-grid, with solar power since the 80's. At that time he was spending over $7/watt on panels alone and it was more cost-effective for him to go that route. Fast forward to today and it is now VERY cost-effective for people that are even currently on line-power.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's too damn expensive, inefficient and doesn't last long enough to pay for itself.

Wait, say what?

Half your panels will not last ten years and your panel manufacturer will probably be out of business in three. Best case you get a prorated credit if they are still around. Solar is about being green and being off the grid. It's will not save you any money with the current technology.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:21:50 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Exactly. People buy LEDs and they wonder why they crap out after a few months or a few years. The LEDs, if cooled properly, will last years. The electronics (power supply) are cheap junk though, and will fail long before the LEDs do. Same thing with CFLs. I have ten year old CFLs that work fine and my newer ones only last a year or so.

Also, the power has alot to do with it. With incandescents, you can see the power dip and spike. With new style bulbs you don't see it but it's slowly frying the electronics.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Half your panels will not last ten years and your panel manufacturer will probably be out of business in three. Best case you get a prorated credit if they are still around. Solar is about being green and being off the grid. It's will not save you any money with the current technology.
View Quote

Interesting... do you have direct experience with this? What brand panels did you have that failed before the ten year mark and the company was out of business?

FWIW, Sharp and many other big-name manf's have been around a while and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon... do you have evidence to counter that?? I'm genuinely curious...
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:37:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Build a death ray.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Interesting... do you have direct experience with this? What brand panels did you have that failed before the ten year mark and the company was out of business?

FWIW, Sharp and many other big-name manf's have been around a while and they aren't going anywhere anytime soon... do you have evidence to counter that?? I'm genuinely curious...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. You can spend alot of money with a good brand name like BP and it'll last a while, or you can buy the cheap stuff and it'll fail pretty quickly. Either way it never works out financially.

The internet is full of examples of solar companies failing in the last few years including the one I can see from my house called BlueChip Energy.

There are also tons of examples of high failure rates in the industry, including this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/business/energy-environment/solar-powers-dark-side.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I would actually love to see an example of a ten year old solar farm that didn't have to have lots of equipment replaced.

China took an inefficient technology and started making it as cheaply as possible. It's just like what happened with LED light bulbs several years ago. China pumped out crap that failed quickly: http://www.ledsmagazine.com/articles/2010/09/ftc-sues-lights-of-america-over-deceptive-claims-for-led-lamps.html

Give solar 20 years and it'll be where it needs to be. It's not ready yet.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:Yes. You can spend alot of money with a good brand name like BP and it'll last a while, or you can buy the cheap stuff and it'll fail pretty quickly. Either way it never works out financially.
View All Quotes
Quoted:Yes. You can spend alot of money with a good brand name like BP and it'll last a while, or you can buy the cheap stuff and it'll fail pretty quickly. Either way it never works out financially.

Who said a reputable company takes "a lot of money" to buy panels from? Have you even checked solar prices in the last couple years? You can buy panels from a reputable less than $1/watt in many cases.

Quoted:
The internet is full of examples of solar companies failing in the last few years including the one I can see from my house called BlueChip Energy.

You can't give me the name of a company that was bogus from the start as an example of one that failed. Of course the company is going to fail if they base their entire business model on lies and deceit. You want the real truth on BlueChip Energy look here Like I said previously, I'm talking about reputable companies. Companies that have been around for quite some time, producing quality panels for quite some time...
Quoted:There are also tons of examples of high failure rates in the industry, including this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/business/energy-environment/solar-powers-dark-side.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

For some reason that article won't open for me, but I bet it's an isolated incident (possibly installation related) or the panels are from a subpar manufacturer. Where is the follow-up that tells why they failed? What manufacturer made them?

Quoted:I would actually love to see an example of a ten year old solar farm that didn't have to have lots of equipment replaced.

Solar farm? I don't know of many, but they often aren't the best place to look either. Most solar farms are installed with the bottom line in mind, which means lots of cutting corners, lots of cheap product etc... And "solar farms" haven't been popular for all that long.

I can show you plenty of places that have had privately owned solar for a LONG time...

Are you mad at solar panels because you used to work at BlueChip or something? The problem with this becoming popular technology is that you have companies springing up all over the place that are making panels. Most of them don't have a clue what they're doing, or they aren't in it to grow a business, they just want the quick, easy money and to get out. That's the problem, they aren't in it for the long-haul. You have to seek out the companies that ARE in it for the long-haul...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#45]
From the NY Times article that you cannot open:

Published: May 28, 2013: LOS ANGELES — The solar panels covering a vast warehouse roof in the sun-soaked Inland Empire region east of Los Angeles were only two years into their expected 25-year life span when they began to fail.

Coatings that protect the panels disintegrated while other defects caused two fires that took the system offline for two years, costing hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost revenues.

It was not an isolated incident. Worldwide, testing labs, developers, financiers and insurers are reporting similar problems and say the $77 billion solar industry is facing a quality crisis just as solar panels are on the verge of widespread adoption.
View Quote

Also, here is a partial list of solar companies that aren't likely to honor their warranties:

2009 to 2010

Bankrupt, closed, acquired

Advent Solar (emitter wrap-through Si) acquired by Applied Materials
Applied Solar (solar roofing) acquired by Quercus Trust
OptiSolar (a-Si on a grand scale) closed
Ready Solar (PV installation) acquired by SunEdison
Solasta (nano-coaxial solar) closed
SV Solar (low-concentration PV) closed
Senergen (depositing silane onto free-form metallurgical-grade Si substrates) closed
Signet Solar (a-Si) bankrupt
Sunfilm (a-Si) bankrupt
Wakonda (GaAs) closed

Bankrupt, closed

EPV Solar (a-Si) bankrupt
Evergreen (drawn Si) bankrupt
Solyndra (CIGS) bankrupt
SpectraWatt (c-Si) bankrupt
Stirling Energy Systems (dish engine) bankrupt

Acquisition, sale

Ascent Solar (CIGS) acquired by TFG Radiant
Calyxo (CdTe) acquired by Solar Fields from Q.cells
HelioVolt (CIGS) acquired by Korea's SK Innovation
National Semiconductor Solar Magic (panel optimizers) exited systems business
NetCrystal (silicon on flexible substrate) acquired by Solar Semiconductor
Soliant (CPV) acquired by Emcore

Bankrupt, closed

Abound Solar (CdTe) bankrupt
AQT (CIGS) closed
Ampulse (thin silicon) closed
Arise Technology (PV modules) bankrupt
Azuray (microinverters) closed
BP (c-Si panels) exits solar business
Centrotherm (PV manufacturing equipment) bankrupt
CSG (c-Si on glass) closed by Suntech
Day4 Energy (cell interconnects) delisted from TSX exchange
ECD (a-Si) bankrupt
Energy Innovations (CPV) bankrupt
Flexcell (a-Si roll-roll BIPV) closed
GlobalWatt (solar) closed
GreenVolts (CPV) closed
Global Solar Energy (CIGS) closed
G24i (DSCs) bankrupt in 2012, re-emerged as G24i Power with new investors
Hoku (polysilicon) shut down its Idaho polysilicon production facility
Inventux (a-Si) bankrupt
Konarka (OSCs) bankrupt
Odersun (CIGS) bankrupt
Pramac (a-Si panels built with equipment from Oerlikon) insolvent
Pairan (Germany inverters) insolvent
Ralos (developer) bankrupt
REC Wafer (c-Si) bankrupt
Satcon (BoS) bankrupt
Schott (c-Si) exits c-Si business
Schuco (a-Si) shutting down its a-Si business
Sencera (a-Si) closed
Siliken (c-Si modules) closed
Skyline Solar (LCPV) closed
Siemens (CSP, inverters, BOS) divestment from solar
Solar Millennium (developer) insolvent
Solarhybrid (developer) insolvent
Sovello (Q.cells, Evergreen, REC JV) bankrupt
SolarDay (c-Si modules) insolvent
Solar Power Industries (PV modules) bankrupt
Soltecture (CIGS BIPV) bankrupt
Sun Concept (developer) bankrupt

Acquisition, fire sale, restructuring

Oelmaier (Germany inverters) insolvent, bought by agricultural supplier Lehner Agrar
Q.Cells (c-Si) insolvent, acquired by South Korea's Hanwha
Sharp (a-Si) backing away from a-Si, retiring 160 of its 320 megawatts in Japan
Solibro (CIGS) Q-Cells unit acquired by China's Hanergy
Solon (c-Si) acquired by UAE's Microsol  
Scheuten Solar (BIPV) bankrupt, then acquired by Aikosolar
SolFocus (CPV) layoffs, restructuring for sale
Sunways (c-Si, inverters) bought by LDK, restructuring to focus on BIPV and storage

Bankrupt, closed

Bosch (c-Si PV module) exits module business
Concentrator Optics (CPV) bankrupt
Suntech Wuxi (c-Si) bankrupt

Acquisition, sale, restructuring

Diehl (Germany inverters) inverter division sold to PE firm mutares AG
ISET (CIGS) moving into "microsolar"
MiaSolé (CIGS) acquired by China's Hanergy
Nanosolar (CIGS) restructuring for sale
NuvoSun (CIGS) acquired by Dow
Twin Creeks (kerfless Si) acquired by GT Advanced Technology
Wuerth Solar (installer) business turned over to BayWa
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 1:15:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Companies that are acquired, divested, or restructured; or that exit a line of business are still required to honor warranties.  Bankruptcy or closure of the entire business is another matter, obviously.

I don't have anything like OP has, but I've had 14 sharp 240 panels in service for about 18 months w/o a single issue.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:16:25 AM EDT
[#47]
I have 58 PV modules in service.
14 are made in mexico.

The rest are USA.

The panels operational life will exceed my own, most likely.

I still use the first solar panel I acquired, in 1989, a Solarex mx-60

After 25 years it is putting out around 90 percent of its rated power....like it always did.

I use it for charging batteries on snow plow truck, and other various homestead vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#48]
The Cold Climate Housing Research folks did a house up north of Fairbanks that incorporated a hot water storage tank that stored heat in the summer and used it to heat the house for most of the winter.  Maybe you could do something similar to that?  Would be much less efficient I would imagine since you are going solar=>electricity=>heat rather than solar=>heat as they had done.  Just a thought..
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 3:31:50 AM EDT
[#49]
4500 watt tank type water heater, keeps the shop bathroom warm, and soaks up a fair bit of surplus electricity.
been cloudy, rainy last couple weeks. Only made about 11 kilowatt hours yesterday, probably less then 4 today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top