Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 1:52:35 PM EDT
We've been looking at these Phantom screens from Lowe's for a few months. Think it would be really nice in the fall and spring. Anyone have one they can speak to?
For those curious, see this link

http://www.phantomscreens.com/retractable-door-screens/disappearing-screen-doors/
UPDATE 1: We purchased ours on 9/30 and had someone measuring at the house on 10/2. He said it would be ready in approx. 3-4 weeks. I'll post an update when I have one.

UPDATE 2:  Installer was here today on 10/30 for installation.  Exactly 4 weeks turnaround from the date of purchase

First impressions...love it.

The installer was professional and on time.  Install took about 45 minutes which included him explaining how the product worked.  They left me with a can of dry silicon spray for maintenance and said it should last at least 5 years with normal use.

The color we went with matched my door trim very well.  

I really like the design of the unit.  There are clasps to keep the door shut at the top & bottom of the rail rather than having to modify the door frame.  The screen also 'flexes' away from the frame if you run into it (pets, feet, kids, huge angry bee, etc) as it's not fastened to the door at the top or bottom...so it simply rolls off the spool of screen.  When the pressure is released from the screen, it rolls back into place.  This prevents having to get the unit rescreened often due  to 'life'.

They will perform a complete overhaul of the unit onsite for $65 which includes replacing any damaged parts, cleaning the track, cleaning the wind mechanism, etc.  Add $25 and they will rescreen the entire unit as well.

I personally think this is a good buy and recommend it to anyone on the fence or to someone that's interested in a screen door.

And for the goods....

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Let me know after you buy yours!!

I'm curious...
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let me know after you buy yours!!

I'm curious...
View Quote

We are probably going to buy one soon. Most of the reviews I see online basically say as long as the buyer maintains it, it works gear. I.e. cleans the track and uses a silicon lubricant every month or so during usage times.

A lot of installer reviews seem to recommend it and say it's a quality product.

You'll likely get more use than someone from Texas but we do get a fair amount of true fall/spring where it would be nice to have.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never heard of this.  What is it?

I went to Lowe's web site to look it up (was going to post a hot link) but a search yielded nothing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never heard of this.  What is it?

I went to Lowe's web site to look it up (was going to post a hot link) but a search yielded nothing.
View Quote

Updated my op
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been looking at installing them for a couple years now, just can't get myself to do it.

My first thought is the inevitable drunk stumble or kid running through it on their way outside.  It happens, but usually when it does it's a simple cheap fix.  How does replacement work if broken?

My next thought is the pet's drunk stumble through it.  

Those are my only concerns, else I would've bought one a long time ago.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been thinking about a couple of these as well. Looking forward to hearing some opinions.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been looking at installing them for a couple years now, just can't get myself to do it.

My first thought is the inevitable drunk stumble or kid running through it on their way outside.  It happens, but usually when it does it's a simple cheap fix.  How does replacement work if broken?

My next thought is the pet's drunk stumble through it.  

Those are my only concerns, else I would've bought one a long time ago.
View Quote

From what I've read, a simple adjustment or correction costs around $50. I've seen reviews where they fully adjust and recondition the unit plus reinstall screen for as little as $70.

On the pet issue; I hear you. I have 2 dogs and I'm sure at some point I will deal with this. However.... The one time they crash through the screen and knock the door loose where it comes crashing down on them.... They will think twice about doing it again. That's my theory anyway.

I've read some installations they are able to build the track into your current threshold where there isn't any additional stuff to step over. We'll see.
Buying one tomorrow. I'll try to keep this updated with my opinion/thoughts and pictures after the install.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#8]
We've had two of them so far and had no issues with either one.  The reason for two is two different houses.  Dogs have no trouble running through the screen.  We had two small (less than 15 pounds) run right through the screen.  There was no damage done to it when that happened.  You just have to reset it.

We currently live in a condo in Florida and it gets used only during the "winter/fall" months down here b/c it's way to hot to leave the door open.  The wind flow is great when we do use the screen.  I did not install it, so I can't speak to that part of it.  Here are some pictures of our current set up.  If you want a different angle, just let me know.  

Don't mind the dirty floor.

</a>" />

</a>" />

</a>" />
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We've had two of them so far and had no issues with either one.  The reason for two is two different houses.  Dogs have no trouble running through the screen.  We had two small (less than 15 pounds) run right through the screen.  There was no damage done to it when that happened.  You just have to reset it.

We currently live in a condo in Florida and it gets used only during the "winter/fall" months down here b/c it's way to hot to leave the door open.  The wind flow is great when we do use the screen.  I did not install it, so I can't speak to that part of it.  Here are some pictures of our current set up.  If you want a different angle, just let me know.  

http://<a href=http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/unsub073/DSC_1047_zpsf146fe26.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/unsub073/DSC_1050_zps13bb4e62.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/unsub073/DSC_1049_zps73d60b13.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

How long have you had yours?
Do you perform the regular maintenance they recommend?
Have you ever has to deal with customer service after the install?
Have you ever had a service call?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#10]
My parents have a double phantom screen door at the front of their house.  From what I have seen, it looks fantastic - does not look "out of place" there, and they really like it a lot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:07:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My parents have a double phantom screen door at the front of their house.  From what I have seen, it looks fantastic - does not look "out of place" there, and they really like it a lot.
View Quote

Sounds great.

We purchased ours last night.  We should be hearing from an installer sometime this week...he'll come out for measurements.  Then it's a 2-3 week fabrication, then they'll schedule the install. So total turnaround is about 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:24:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://<a href=http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/unsub073/DSC_1047_zpsf146fe26.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/unsub073/DSC_1050_zps13bb4e62.jpg</a>" />

http://<a href=http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/unsub073/DSC_1049_zps73d60b13.jpg</a>" />

We had the first one for 2 years at the house.  We've had the one at our current location for one year.
I have not performed any maintenance at either location.  No issues so far.
I have not dealt with CS after the install.
Never had a service call.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I use to install them years ago. Good product. My parents still have theirs and never had any issues and its over 10 years old. Replacement screens are cheap. If a dog runs in to it the screen pulls away from the magnet and the door retracts. I would ask for double magnets or a lock for the screen, sometimes they can be sensitive and retract to easily.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I use to install them years ago. Good product. My parents still have theirs and never had any issues and its over 10 years old. Replacement screens are cheap. If a dog runs in to it the screen pulls away from the magnet and the door retracts. I would ask for double magnets or a lock for the screen, sometimes they can be sensitive and retract to easily.
View Quote

Thanks for the post.  The gentleman that came out to measure said they are no longer using the magnets; all the doors use a latch system where the door locks into place when it's closed and requires you to depress a button on the handle to retract the screen.  I read this used to be an "upgrade" for about $50 but they've since made it a standard feature on the door.  

We're very excited to get ours installed.  We purchased ours on 9/30 and had someone measuring at the house on 10/2.  He said it would be ready in approx. 3-4 weeks.  I'll post an update when I have one.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:18:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I would ask for some magnets too. If a dog or a kid runs in to it you want it to retract.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know what the pricing is like? Website doesnt have it available.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

$429 for a standard door
$469 for a "custom" door (irregular size)

Price includes tax & installation.  I have an 8ft. door so mine was $469 OTD.  The person at Lowes said a regular screen door would cost $700+
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I have Phantom screens on the back doors of my patio.

Love'em.....very unobtrusive, and after 3-4 years, they work and look like they did on day 1.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

$429 for a standard door

Price includes tax & installation.  I have an 8ft. door so mine was $469 OTD.  The person at Lowes said a regular screen door would cost $700+
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$429 for a standard door

Thanks. I'll have to check them out. I have a French door that I have been trying to figure out what to do.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I have one of these retractable screen doors here at home.  Installed myself.  Very easy and quick install.

It's been working fine for approx. four years, even though it's installed on a door we do not open very often.  Mostly Summers and we open it to let the fresh air in and circulate the house.  However, the location takes a beating from the weather with direct Sun, rain, snow and even ice...   Still looks and works as new.  

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Lots of good feedback.... Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#22]
As a contractor, I've had these installed in some of my projects. Never had a problem with them, and everyone has loved them. I bought them through a supplier, not Lowes.

They do work very well, although whoever is installing it needs to take into account what door hardware is installed and if it will interfere with the operation of the screen. I had an installer move one because it hit the door hardware.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

As a contractor, I've had these installed in some of my projects. Never had a problem with them, and everyone has loved them. I bought them through a supplier, not Lowes.

They do work very well, although whoever is installing it needs to take into account what door hardware is installed and if it will interfere with the operation of the screen. I had an installer move one because it hit the door hardware.
View Quote
Great hopefully I'll get a call this week to have it installed. Weather is perfect right now!

Link Posted: 10/30/2014 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Installed today!  Updated OP...this thing is sweet
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I've seen one, I was impressed..good for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top