Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2014 10:18:43 PM EDT
posted in GD too:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1670236_Mold_on_attic_sheathing.html

Found during home inspection on a house I'm hoping to buy.

Attic has good ventilation, clear soffit vents, ridge vent.

Inspector said it's moisture caused by bypasses from the house. Fix = pull out batting insulation, go through and seal up all passages to the house with caulking / spray foam, insulate bathroom vent ducts, put in blown in new insulation.

Would you worry about / do anything about the moldy sheathing? Seems like it shouldn't be a problem once the condensation / moisture is gone, but I worry about it being there if I ever have to sell. Some say the spores can make their way into the house and cause allergy problems, I'm not so worried about that.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:39:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Walk....our inspector missed so much shit...all the defcon 1 stuff turned out to be defcon 3  or 4
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Walk....our inspector missed so much shit...all the defcon 1 stuff turned out to be defcon 3  or 4
View Quote

I'd really like to make this one work. Been looking for a suitable house for a couple of years. This one is in the right location, love the lot, love the layout. No sketchy problems other than this one found, and the inspector I have is REALLY good and  thorough.

I'm probably going to ask the sellers to hire a mutually agreed upon contractor to make the fixes that the inspector suggested PLUS have any signs of mold removed.

If they kill it because of that fine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Man that mold looks pretty major, I'd be real hesitant to work with that if I was the buyer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#4]
That does not look that bad there are a few spray on mold cleaners if you are really worried they can come out and use dry ice and blast if right off. Just find a good contracotr to look at the problem if there is a current problem and not a past problem
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Has it been checked to see if it really is mold? Most of it looks more like mildew that could have been caused by any number of things.

1. Has there always been soffit and ridge venting or was it added due to the issue?
2. Was the bathroom fan or laundry ever vented into the attic?
3. If you really want this house, have the owner remove the insulation, seal all areas that lead to conditioned space, dry ice blast the sheathing, treat area with concrobium, reinstall insulation.

Make sure that they use baffles at the soffit. If the ridge vent is a shingle over vent, have it replaced.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Has it been checked to see if it really is mold?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Has it been checked to see if it really is mold?

nope, not checked yet

Most of it looks more like mildew that could have been caused by any number of things.

1. Has there always been soffit and ridge venting or was it added due to the issue?

New roof this year, so they were definitely fixing problems before selling.

2. Was the bathroom fan or laundry ever vented into the attic?

Unknown. It's not now. there is an issue now where two bathrooms vent into the same insulated 6" pipe. I don't know how often they're both used at the same time, but inspector thought each should have a dedicated 6" vent.

3. If you really want this house, have the owner remove the insulation, seal all areas that lead to conditioned space, dry ice blast the sheathing, treat area with concrobium, reinstall insulation.

Make sure that they use baffles at the soffit.

Thanks, that's what I'm going to have the realturd ask for in the response to the sellers.

If the ridge vent is a shingle over vent, have it replaced.
Not sure how to tell. I can see it rise up above the rest of the roof and there are shingles on the top of it.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a little in one area, but that is because they vented the bathroom fan to the attic. It was maybe 1/10 of what you had.  I called a mold remediation company, paid $250, had it tested and got an estimate from them how much to fix it.  Mold in a home inspection report is a mortgage issue, just like termites and structure damage.  You won't get a mortgage if the bank find out and they do, when they get the inspection report.  

The sellers attorney should advise them it then that to be fixed, credit given to the seller for repairs or if you walk, they are supposed to inform the next buyer. Basically the seller is on the hook.  

I would not let them fix it and demand a credit and have it fixed or walk.  But walking without trying to resolve it on a house you like is a little crazy for me.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Have a spore test done to find out what you're working with before even considering it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top