Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2014 4:29:14 PM EDT
The pictures can do the talking.
I dinged my car and my brother's so far.

I was looking at this site, and it talks about a kit.  Is it necessary or can I move and cut the track and move the torsion spring assembly up?
http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instructions/garage-door-high-lift-conversion.php

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You are better off to by the kit that way you have everything you need. Watch your self when winding or unwinding the springs they are unforgiving and will hurt you badly if your make a mistake.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are better off to by the kit that way you have everything you need. Watch your self when winding or unwinding the springs they are unforgiving and will hurt you badly if your make a mistake.
View Quote

People get killed by those springs when incorrectly unstrung.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a spring snap on me the other day, and it was just a regular extension spring.  Sounded like a gun going off and bent my garage frame back an inch or so when it hit.  I'd hate to imagine what one of the more expensive coils that go on the front of a garage door would do when broke.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd put a roll up door in your shop. Costs more but if metal door more secure and will free up a ton of overhead space.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:33:37 AM EDT
[#5]
all you need is a so to come out and install highlift track no big deal
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not quite the springs need to be moved which will require longer cables which means the springs will need to be unwound and then rewound.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:53:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not quite the springs need to be moved which will require longer cables which means the springs will need to be unwound and then rewound.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top