Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2014 4:44:46 PM EDT
I am going to work on a 1998 Glastron SSV 195 with Ford 302 V8 2 barrel carb. I checked with O'Reilly's auto they have gasket set for the motor but it is 420.77 bucks for the set! That is for the marine 302.

I am wondering if the marine version of 302 is the same as automotive version of 302? Because the mustang gasket set is only 122 bucks at NAPA.

Problem with the motor is when it reaches operating temp and the thermosat opens, it floods the engine and hydrolocks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy crap!  That's a big difference.  I've done a lot with 5.0's, but never marine engines.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:54:18 PM EDT
[#2]
is the water coming from a cracked head or a leaky headgasket?

With current info I am going with cracked head for 1000 alex
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Marine head gaskets have a stainless steel core. Automotive head gaskets are regular steel. Auto type head gaskets will rot out quickly in a marine engine. The rest of the gaskets are the same, timing cover, oil pan etc..
How hot is the engine running? 140-160 degrees for a carbureted marine engine is the norm.  Rotted/cracked exhaust manifolds and "elbows" are usually the culprit with a hydro-locked marine engine. This or overheating.
< --- boat mechanic.
ETA - The auto and marine 302's are the same except for the camshaft grind and differences in head gaskets as I posted. Buy a set of marine head gaskets and the rest automotive type. Of course the exhaust elbow gaskets will be marine because they don't use them in cars.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marine head gaskets have a stainless steel core. Automotive head gaskets are regular steel. Auto type head gaskets will rot out quickly in a marine engine. The rest of the gaskets are the same, timing cover, oil pan etc..
How hot is the engine running? 140-160 degrees for a carbureted marine engine is the norm.  Rotted/cracked exhaust manifolds and "elbows" are usually the culprit with a hydro-locked marine engine. This or overheating.
< --- boat mechanic.
ETA - The auto and marine 302's are the same except for the camshaft grind and differences in head gaskets as I posted. Buy a set of marine head gaskets and the rest automotive type. Of course the exhaust elbow gaskets will be marine because they don't use them in cars.
View Quote

Can a marine rated head gasket withstand the daily use ( higher constant engine temps) thats found in a  road vehicle?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Can a marine rated head gasket withstand the daily use ( higher constant engine temps) thats found in a  road vehicle?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
< --- boat mechanic.

Good question. I would think so as the only difference I'm aware of is the use of a stainless steel core in the marine gasket.  The newer EFI marine engines run at about 175 degrees and remember, marine engines run at high RPM's, not loafing along at 1800-2000 RPM's like in a car. More like 4400-4600 for long periods of time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the information, I am not sure exactly what is the problem yet as I have not taken the head and mainfolds off yet, so I have no idea where the water is flowing in from. I was just told what the symptoms are. So I am just doing research on how much the parts would run for this project that I'm doing for my brother in law. He wants me to fix a neighbors boat then if it works, he gives the neighbor $2500 for the boat as that is what they agreed to.

The head gasket alone costs 117 a piece for marine version. Probably will end up getting the individual head gasket and look for mustang gasket kit without head gasket.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Take the exhaust elbows off first. They are the #1 cause of water in the cylinders.  A cracked head is possible especially if the engine has been overheated at some point in it's life but elbows are #1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top