Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2014 5:56:32 PM EDT
My  shop lighting has been in service 9 years, starting to  replace  F96T8  tubes, couple burn out per month.
As I use up my last case of spare  tubes, I wonder if  the new LED conversion  tubes are   up to  par yet ?
 Can't stand working under BLUE light, and  need a fair number of lumens.

current  lighting complement is   ( 16) F96T8 tubes, and (10) F32T8
   Any recommendation for brand and source of  T8 conversion LED  tubes, prefer direct AC power, integral ballast if possible.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, but the bolt-in replacements for tubes are still pricey. The light is much better than your typical fluorescent shop light.
link
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I've given serious consideration to replacing fluorescent tubes with rope lights encased in those plastic shatterproof tube guards.  Toss the ballast, re-use the wiring.  Haven't run the numbers, though.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I redid a couple of older semi-custom fluorescent fixtures with aluminum channel LED strips like these (not a recommendation for the specific seller, just one found quickly).  They're 1/2 meter each , available in warm white, and with the 5630 LEDs are pretty bright.  Unlike just using the LED strips with the self adhesive, they will stay put better.

That and a generic 12V power supply with sufficient wattage to support the number of strips you're using in a given fixture, also available from ebay; you gut the fluorescent starter and ballast, put the power supply in place, and wire up however many strips of LED are needed to replace the tubes.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Not so sure about the 12 Volt  power supply option,   seems like the cost of  copper welding lead to carry the necessary AMP draw  would add up fast.

We are talking about   replacing  100,000 Lumens.

The Fluorescents are   using about 11 amps @ 120 volts

Doing similar efficiency with LED, @ 12 volts would put us well  into the 110 AMP range.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think the math works yet for that stuff

I recently redid a commercial storage room

Replaced the sane fixture you have with electronic ballast twin dual t-8 8' fixtures

That way you just have one bulb that matches the existing fixtures

I think I paid $42 per american made fixture from a supply house

Got a pallet of Philips alto cw bulbs from hd for $2ea
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:54:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Trying out a six-pack of Cree 1600 lumen 18 watt led bulbs. Advertised as 5000K, they are, unfortunately blue in color, and sort of annoying. The supposed output of 1600 lumens doesnt seem to reach far from the open ceiling fixtures.
Not real impressed so far, compared to conventional F96T8 fluorescents, the LED  has a lot of catchin up to,do.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#8]
A single regular f96t8 bulb at 4200k puts out 5700 lumens so dropping to 1600 lumens per would be very disappointing
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A single regular f96t8 bulb at 4200k puts out 5700 lumens so dropping to 1600 lumens per would be very disappointing
View Quote
Yes, even a six pack of CREE  18 watt, 1600 lumen is a  thin, sickly pale blue  standing next to  a pair of F96T8.
The BLUE cast really  annoys mrs Fullpower.

Maybe the 2700K will have a more full spectrum, room fill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top