Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2014 3:06:13 PM EDT
I seem to remember hearing about a problem with blown-in insulation in walls settling and leaving insulation gaps at the top.  Is this really a problem?  I've heard conflicting opinions about it.

For the design of the exterior walls of the house I'm building, blown-in would be ideal, since there is a space between the siding and the studs - no front-to-back framing lumber.  Also blown-in insulation is less expensive.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Blown insulation will always settle. I had 12" blown into my attic in 2000 when the house was built. It is around 7"-8" thick now. No big deal on a flat but in a wall you will have gaps at the top in time. Simple physics.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I would look into expanding foam for exterior wall insulation.  Probably costs more initially, but won't settle over time and most likely has a higher R-value per inch when compared to other types.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:16:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would look into expanding foam for exterior wall insulation.  Probably costs more initially, but won't settle over time and most likely has a higher R-value per inch when compared to other types.  Just my opinion.
View Quote

This ^^^

At least look into it... and when you factor "energy costs" you have to consider that energy is just going to keep rising in price, it's a simple fact of the world we live in...
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Foam is great and provides a solid thermal break. When you are looking at blown cellulose, remember it's not the attic insulation from a home store that you would use. Blown insulation in a new construction wall application will be applied damp and with glue. It works well and also acts as a vapor barrier. It doesn't perform as well as closed cell foam, but it's pretty good at a cheaper cost.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:43:14 AM EDT
[#5]
My parents had blown in insulation done on their home when it was built in 1955.
In 1986, they had the kitchen remodeled and the sheetrock was removed revealing the insulation.
The insulation had settled about an inch below the hole where it was blown in.
I was surprised, as I expected it to have settled further.
I would imagine the type of insulation used and blowing it in until no more fits, has a lot to do with it.
I'm thinking that today's insulation would be less likely to settle?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:04:59 AM EDT
[#6]
House I'm in now had "wet" blown insulation in the walls.

I tore out one wall when redoing the basement and it had not moved at all.  

It actually dries rather firm, like a dry sponge, vs fluffy and came out in chunks.

Dry blown always settles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top