Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2014 11:52:22 AM EDT
At least four times in the last 10 months since I closed on my house, my mailbox has been hit by cars/trucks side mirrors. Two people have come forward about it. The guy that did the most damage gave me $30 for repairs, which is better than nothing, but I didn't end up replacing it yet because it was just a little over a month ago and I've been swamped at work. The most recent person to hit it (yesterday) left a note on my front door. After contacting the individual last night, they are insistent on making it right, so I told them I would take a look at it in the daylight and get back to them. The additional damage this person caused is minimal compared to the guy that gave me the $30 ( He hit it with a newer F150 side mirror), so I don't feel right making them replace it considering they didn't cause the majority of the damage...

Anyway, I'm looking for DIY suggestions on what to do to prevent having to replace/repair my mailbox multiple times per year. I don't have an HOA that requires a specific mailbox and I would love nothing more than to have a box that'll totally dominate someones mirror if they hit it, but seems like I could get sued for that as broken as the legal system is.

What do y'all suggest for the DIY'er?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#1]
How about moving the mailbox?  If that is not an option, do what people around here do to protect it from snowplows:  Put up thick piece of plywood in front of the oncoming traffic side of the mailbox with your house number on it.  Hopefully the plywood would take the abuse and protect your mailbox.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Talk to your postman and see where they want it. you may be able to relocate it so it is not so prone to getting whacked.  other than that go with a plastic one that will pop apart vs getting squished like a metal one, or go the cement/brick approach and make it so the person who hits it will not be driving off.  (or one of the swinging  ones you just reset.)
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like it's sticking out in the road or something.  I third the option to move the thing.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#4]
In snow country (Maine) they hang their metal mailboxes from upside down L shaped poles with steel chains attached.  That way when the plows hit them they swing away.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I like this one.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Go to big rig machine shop, get the biggest burnt up crankshaft you can get.  Obtain several bags of quickcrete, plant shaft in concrete. Obtain a few cheap ass mailboxes, apply cheap ass mailbox, place others in shed. Paint color of choice.  

Railroad rail works also.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=crankshaft+mailboxes&id=4E48448FFAE080531F4CD0A0780D626F2F60607C&FORM=IQFRBA#view=detail&id=9B0A3EC0CF8383B83BE043AA506EE899F996249A&selectedIndex=13
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Pictures not loading
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one made out of 3/8 armor plate when the high schoolers and college kids decided to drive around smashing them with ball bats and golf clubs, it all stopped one night when a young man ended up with  part of a golf club shaft stuck in his back at the local hospital
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

THIS ^^^.  And maybe throw a reflector or a strip of reflective tape on the side.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#11]

I've seen these get taken out already... they look like a lot of fun to replace.  

OP, get a removable mailbox, and take it in the house with you when you get your mail.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a similar problem in that I live on a curve.  

What I did was create a mailbox post that would break away upon impact.  First I sunk the base into the ground and reinforced (the base hole) with concrete.  I cut through the mailbox post about a foot above the ground.  I got some cheap pine boards and made "splints" out of them to reconnect the top of the mailbox post to the bottom.  These cheap "splints" are fastened with short wood screws (nails may be better for this).

For a mailbox I got a cheap (10 buck) plastic mailbox at Lowes.  I reinforced the front flap with two wood screws to act as a more robust "hinge".

The mailbox has been struck three times so far.  The mailbox post shears where I hoped it would.  The post has become a bit chewed up from where the screws rip out, so I think using nails instead of screws would have been a better idea.  The pine "splints" generally shatter when the mailbox is struck.

I did not want to create a road hazard by building a steel or concrete (or stone) monstrosity.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
There are a couple of houses in my neighborhood that are prone to it.  They built around the mailbox with concrete and brick.  The next time a car hit it, the car lost.  

Plus, when the negligent driver has to call a tow truck for their car, there's more time to get a police report, which makes it easier to get money from their insurance to repair your property.

Another house I know, on a corner, got tired of cars sliding into their yard.  They had a landscaping crew put some large boulders on that corner of their lawn.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Concrete.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:54:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Take a 8' long 8" diamter Sch40 piece of pipe and sink in the ground 4'.  Cut holes in bottom of pipe and stick rebar through before pouring footer so pipe doesnt twist.  Now concrete fill entire pipe.  Place mailbox on top
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#17]
building a fortress mail box is fun and all...

but, most jurisdictions have strict guidelines mail boxes. If you build a serious tank of a mail box, and someone hits it causing bodily harm, you could be liable.

this is coming from a guy that's Grandpa was a welder/machinist and a kid hit is heavily fortified box that last 50 years of abuse (shotguns/baseball bats etc).

You aren't even supposed to use concrete when setting the post. I just installed one at my new house. 4x6 post with a $20 metal box. Holding up well enough.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
building a fortress mail box is fun and all...

but, most jurisdictions have strict guidelines mail boxes. If you build a serious tank of a mail box, and someone hits it causing bodily harm, you could be liable.

this is coming from a guy that's Grandpa was a welder/machinist and a kid hit is heavily fortified box that last 50 years of abuse (shotguns/baseball bats etc).

You aren't even supposed to use concrete when setting the post. I just installed one at my new house. 4x6 post with a $20 metal box. Holding up well enough.
View Quote

Citations of legal code, court-cases, news articles, and legal precedent are required when making claims such as this...

Do people get sued for planting trees along the road when somebody runs into them and gets injured?
Do people get sued for having boulders along the road when somebody runs into them and gets injured?
These things may happen but they are very, very rare, and I would wager that it would be unsuccessful in most states in the US (the ones that have reasonable, realistic courts).

FWIW, OP, I think you should make (or have made) a heavy duty mailbox. As a matter of fact, there used to be a guy on Sigforum (screen-name of ArcWelder or something like that) who had this same problem. He built a mailbox of 1/4" steel and never had another problem. He did such I nice job of it I believe it actually started manufacturing and selling those mailboxes. May want to head over there to see what you can find.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Here are the Rules for mailboxes from the Postal service
Rural Boxes
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rural Boxes
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Rural Boxes

The Federal Highway Administration recommends…
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:26:51 PM EDT
[#21]
USPS site says:
"Bury your post no more than 24” deep, so it can give way in an accident."

What about utility poles and such? Those suckers aren't giving way in an accident... It's pretty dumb that I can potentially be held liable for making it extra rigid if someone crashes into it on my property.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sounds like it's sticking out in the road or something.  I third the option to move the thing.
View Quote

Having lost several passenger side mirrors over the years, move it!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:00:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a friend growing up who had the same issue. His dad got fed up and built a new mailbox out of like inch thick steel. The post it sat on was two standard 'i beams' welded at a right angle and side that the actual box was not on was sunk like 6 feet in the ground. everytime someone hit it after that, he'd just have to go outside and spin the whole thing around so it was accessable from the road.

If i remember correctly, someone tried to sue him for damages, but it never went very far.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#24]

very Likely is built on a Styrofoam core.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:08:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine is a steel box that has a package drop that locks and is mounted to a 4"x4" steel pole set in concrete. It's the only one on my country road that hasn't been hit with a bat. There is a small corner dent that I can only assume someone hit with their mirror.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
If it's sticking out in the road, move it in towards the yard.  That, and put a stout mailbox there.
View Quote

I'd go with this. Before going all Mad Max with it, move it back from the road and maybe down aways in a better direction.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#27]
My parents' house is in a rural-ish area, on the main road into the area. Their mailbox is "protected" by trees on either side of it. My dad has a photo album full of photos of people who wrecked into their trees, but only once has their mailbox been hit. So I also suggest moving it, but if you have trees, move it next to those.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:18:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Put up 2 more mailboxes next to it - but fill those with concrete.
Nobody would be dumb enough to keep going until they hit all three, would they?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm in the country and just used the cheapest plastic $10 box they had at Lowes plus a 6' 4x4. Threw some screws and gtg. My mailbox is one of 6 at the end of the road. Someone came by and took them all out (kids with bat) all the metal ones got destroyed. Mines still good as new. I think it just flexed, rather than dented.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#30]
I think you should seek advice from rogueboss
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think you should seek advice from rogueboss
View Quote

I have no idea what this is referencing.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:36:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Talk to your postman and see where they want it. you may be able to relocate it so it is not so prone to getting whacked.  other than that go with a plastic one that will pop apart vs getting squished like a metal one, or go the cement/brick approach and make it so the person who hits it will not be driving off.  (or one of the swinging  ones you just reset.)
View Quote

The USPS has very specific rules about placement etc so it would be wise to ask them for info.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:35:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does this even happen?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a PO box.  Mine was taken out three or four times in six months.  One less thing to repair and my mail is more secure.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Get a PO box.  Mine was taken out three or four times in six months.  One less thing to repair and my mail is more secure.
View Quote

That's easy for somebody that lives in-town, or very close to town, or works in-town. The fact is, many people live a great distance away from the nearest town with PO Boxes so this suggestion isn't really practical.

If I had a PO box I would burn an extra gallon of gas and 50 minutes of my time EVERY TIME I went to get my mail. That is highly impractical.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cursed at birth I reckon but for the most part, bad luck.

Apparently some folks in rural areas like to place their box so the front of it is in line with the edge of the asphalt or too near to it.  When you have towing mirrors or get crowded by opposing traffic what can you do?   Heck, one box I hit twice because it was on a blind curve and the box was literally above the paved road!  

Ours and the neighbor's mail box have only been taken out once and that was by a snow plow when the state cleaned the shoulder after a heavy snow.  That's over a twenty four year period...  Our boxes are about three feet from the asphalt and we provided a gravel shoulder for the mail carrier to get partially off the road.

Drunk kids with ball bats is another issue.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Get a standard box and enclose it in red brick and mortar
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had one made out of 3/8 armor plate when the high schoolers and college kids decided to drive around smashing them with ball bats and golf clubs, it all stopped one night when a young man ended up with  part of a golf club shaft stuck in his back at the local hospital
View Quote

This
Made mine of brick. It may LOOK hollow, but it's NOT, lol
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#40]
1/4" steel welded box setting on top of a large spring of some sort
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#41]
My neighbor had this problem before he retired from the state police - figured it was a former arrestee.

He had someone bring in a Cut to 8ft Telephone Pole Section and bury it in concrete as his box post. He had a guy who made custom smoker (like a big grill you tow) out of this really thick steel and mounted it on the pole.  It got dented but it never collapsed - the dude with the bat who swung at it probably had a big surprise when he swung at that hunk of mailbox!  eventually the town came in and asked him to remove it as it was potentially a crash hazard.  He did and no trouble at all ever since.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:51:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Concrete filled well casing buried 5 feet set in concrete for the base pole.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've seen these get taken out already... they look like a lot of fun to replace.  

OP, get a removable mailbox, and take it in the house with you when you get your mail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a mailbox, doesn't it? Where would the mail go?

Link Posted: 10/7/2014 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Near to where I live there is a scrap metal yard, now the closest way to it is through a residential area. The people who live on the right side of the road in this area have lost at least 1 mailbox to overloaded junk trucks. People are erecting steel poles ahead of their mailboxes to protect them. If it were me would get some steel and weld up a box to mount my mailbox in and weld it on steel girder set about 5 feet deep anchored with concrete.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:24:57 AM EDT
[#45]
GITTUR DUN

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:43:37 AM EDT
[#46]
I've got one of these.  This style can get hit and you just replace the post most of the time.

Meets all Postal codes.

Amazon Step 2 mailbox

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#47]
My mailbox was hit last year and the car took out the post as well.  I'm sure it did a significant amount of damage to the car as I found fender & headlight parts stretched down the down as I picked up the exploded pieces of my post.

As a replacement, I grabbed an extra 6" pipe bollard from work and buried that in the ground for my post.  7' of post, 3' above ground...  The mailbox might get damaged again but the post isn't leaving where I placed it!  I don't mind so much getting a new mailbox every few years, they do wear out after all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top