Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/10/2014 10:07:54 PM EDT

That is all.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Should have a good conversation with the Snap-on guy next time he is around.  Need a top box or 500 lbs of stuff on the top.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]
How is this news?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
its only funny because its funny.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should have a good conversation with the Snap-on guy next time he is around.  Need a top box or 500 lbs of stuff on the top.
View Quote

Won't be talking with a Snap-On truck guy...this happened at a Snap-On plant.  My co worker was trying to get the bottom (overloaded) drawer to close and it started to tip. The other drawers didn't have individual latches and started opening.  Chain reaction tipped it over.  Luckily he got out of the way and didn't get hurt, as all together it probably weighed over 1500lbs.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
A idiot I used to work with dumped a lower and top box over like that.  He was in a rage looking for something and started whipping drawers open from the bottom on up without closing them...

He made it about halfway up the lower box when the whole works dumped over on him.

Same idiot
Dumped a car off of a hoist
lit his hair on fire
got his head stuck under a truck
stripped countless lug nuts
etc
etc
etc

He's gone now, thank god.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Somebody cheated and didn't install the anti tip bracket.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:00:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you a Machinist?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:15:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you a Machinist?
View Quote

I'd say a hoarder judging by the tooling/metal stuff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Gravity....it's a bitch
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you a Machinist?

Yes I am, and no that wasn't my box.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Very first flicker of a thought from the thread-title "dis gon be good!"

The only real disappointment would have been if I clicked and there were no pics... needless to say, the pics did not disappoint... good lesson for all to learn.

FWIW, I actually shimmed my box to tilt slightly backwards so there is NO temptation for the drawers to self-open. When I got it, if it was positioned in the right spot on an uneven floor (not terribly uneven) and you opened one of the heavy drawers it would lean it far enough forward that a few of the others would roll out. I immediately foresaw the problem and corrected it by shimming the front wheels up so it leans back just slightly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]
What's more distressing is that the snack machine is empty.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:34:33 AM EDT
[#13]
We use to keep our tooling and tool holders in those high dollar drawer cabinets. The type where you can only open one drawer at a time. Some of the idiots would get the cabinets jammed with two doors unlatched and it was a pain to get both drawers closed.

We have since changed to vending machines for our tooling.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:57:09 PM EDT
[#14]
The warning label is supposed to stop that from happening.

If that actually did happen in a Snap-on plant tell the guys from Algona to ship you a new box already!  
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We use to keep our tooling and tool holders in those high dollar drawer cabinets. The type where you can only open one drawer at a time. Some of the idiots would get the cabinets jammed with two doors unlatched and it was a pain to get both drawers closed.

We have since changed to vending machines for our tooling.
View Quote

Lista cabinets won't let you open more than one drawer at a time, but you can still close them if you somehow get multiple drawers open at once. BTW, the trick to getting multiple open at once is to open them at the same time, essentially bypassing the latch system that engages when you open a drawer. The problem comes in when you slam one shut and it inadvertently latches all drawers shut. That's a PITA.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If that actually did happen in a Snap-on plant tell the guys from Algona to ship you a new box already!  
View Quote

We had a box sitting in storage that is already in the shop.  Now if they would just send me my top box...

ETA: Yes I really work for Snap-On
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Very first flicker of a thought from the thread-title "dis gon be good!"

The only real disappointment would have been if I clicked and there were no pics... needless to say, the pics did not disappoint... good lesson for all to learn.

FWIW, I actually shimmed my box to tilt slightly backwards so there is NO temptation for the drawers to self-open. When I got it, if it was positioned in the right spot on an uneven floor (not terribly uneven) and you opened one of the heavy drawers it would lean it far enough forward that a few of the others would roll out. I immediately foresaw the problem and corrected it by shimming the front wheels up so it leans back just slightly.
View Quote

same here

where is the plant?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:22:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks awfully close to an inspection table, that could have been a much, much more expensive accident.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:33:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Service manager at my last job did that with his tool box, right into a floor drain. His tool box was pretty unorganized and he couldn't close the drawers when he was looking for something. He'd just open more drawers frantically trying to find something and then the whole thing went in slo-mo. He even tried to stop it from tipping for a second.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:43:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, that's one way to get motivated to clean it out.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We had a box sitting in storage that is already in the shop.  Now if they would just send me my top box...

ETA: Yes I really work for Snap-On<a href="http://s116.photobucket.com/user/mhidpa/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140911_163011_zpsfg6yxmbw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/mhidpa/Mobile%20Uploads/20140911_163011_zpsfg6yxmbw.jpg</a><a href="http://s116.photobucket.com/user/mhidpa/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140911_163151_zpspa7f2tny.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/mhidpa/Mobile%20Uploads/20140911_163151_zpspa7f2tny.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: Yes I really work for Snap-On<a href="http://s116.photobucket.com/user/mhidpa/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140911_163011_zpsfg6yxmbw.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/mhidpa/Mobile%20Uploads/20140911_163011_zpsfg6yxmbw.jpg</a><a href="http://s116.photobucket.com/user/mhidpa/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140911_163151_zpspa7f2tny.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o7/mhidpa/Mobile%20Uploads/20140911_163151_zpspa7f2tny.jpg</a>

That is an amazing picture and I'm grateful to have grown up wrenching with Snap-On tools and the comfort they bring in a full day of using them!
Love using craftsman tools but any one that spends more than a few hours non stop could tell a difference if they switched.

Craftsman had some limited made blue anodized titanium series ratchet set's that dad picked up long ago and they are the closest thing to a Snap-On in polished/deburred/ergonomics that I have used.

Show us some more pictures of the tools being machined out, love that
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I would still like to take that box and attempt to restore it I've been looking for smaller snap on boxes to start as a restoration project
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:06:48 AM EDT
[#23]
That's an old one
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I had an asshole of a mechanic, dumb too, working at a parts / service center where I was a service writer / parts sales etc.

He'd only been there a couple of weeks and everyone already hated him.

He got mad because we pranked him one day when it was slow and quit. He backed his truck up into a shop bay and started loaded his stuff in it. We were happy for him to go so we helped lay his box down in the bed with all the tools still in it because he was too mad and in too much of a hurry to take them out. And of course we were shit talking him the whole time.

When he pulled out of the parking lot, which was on an incline, he hollered " Fuck all y'all " flipped us the bird, and floored it while hanging a left into the four lane. About the time the truck was straight in his lane, out came the box, slamming hard onto the highway, and rolling over on it's side. Nearly all of his tools came out, and scattered all over the highway.

It was the best comedic timing I think I've ever seen in real life. We all busted out laughing, and then he came walking over sheepishly asking for help in getting his tools and box. We laughed and told him to fuck off.

It was a good day.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#25]
learned this lesson as well, except i noticed it was starting to tip forward so i was able to push the drawers in on the top and it didnt tip over. LUCKY ME
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Snip...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Snip...

Let me verify with the boss, I'll see if I can't post a short "how it's made" set of pics
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:42:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Haha! I've turned my box over several(3)times in 17 years.
I have a Craftzman box ball bearing roller sliders, about 4' long box. They get real heavy with bucking bars, air tools, drawers full of pliers, wrenches, ratchets/sockets, drills, reamers and whatever.
I was labor loaned to another area and pushed my box up to the roll up door, stopped my box by the door and walked over to hit the roll up switch, then my box rolled into the door as it started going up, tipped it onto its back. Drawers came apart and for the most part everything was contained in the box.
Other 2 times drawers rolled open and gravity took over. Big suck, but I'm still using the box!
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:08:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Is this because it's older?  When I used to work in a shop our master tech was a little chubby guy and he could open one of the middle drawers on his box and sit on it with nothing happening.  That is where he always sat if he needed a minute off his feet.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When I used to work in a shop our master tech was a little chubby guy and he could open one of the middle drawers on his box and sit on it with nothing happening.  
View Quote

Not unusual. If he had a LOT of weight in the box the weight in the box countered him. Bad things normally only happen when the center of mass inside the box itself transfers outside of the "wheel base" of the box.

Think of it this way, if you have a teeter totter with 500 pounds on one end and you put 300 pounds on the other it won't do anything. However, if you take that 500 pounds, and you transfer 300 pounds of it to the other end of the teeter-totter it will tip the other way. Same thing happens with a tool box. Not a problem if you add some weight to a "teeter-totter" that has enough weight to handle it without tipping. But if you TRANSFER weight from one side to the other (inside the box to hanging outside the box) it shifts the center of mass enough to make it tip...
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 12:30:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been fortunate so far, haven't had any of my boxes tip....yet.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Better quality drawer units only allow one drawer to open at a time.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Whoops.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Buy him a harbor freight box as a replacement  
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote
I've always loved our attention to detail

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:34:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glad I'm not the only one to notice that problem.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#37]
That happened at my last job, the toolbox fell over and pinned the die makers foot.
he was screaming pretty loud
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A idiot I used to work with dumped a lower and top box over like that.  He was in a rage looking for something and started whipping drawers open from the bottom on up without closing them...

He made it about halfway up the lower box when the whole works dumped over on him.

Same idiot
Dumped a car off of a hoist
lit his hair on fire
got his head stuck under a truck
stripped countless lug nuts
etc
etc
etc

He's gone now, thank god.
View Quote

from this earth or that job
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 10:27:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone can calm down.  That isn't a snack machine.  It dispenses gloves, and is broken.

ETA: Can't take process pics, but here is a pic of a display that shows the steps from billet to wrench.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Cold forged

We have vending machines for our tooling and machine supplies.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:24:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Not cold forged. Billets are induction heated to 1600°-1800°F before being struck. We have forges from 800 to 2500 tons.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Here is the video they made for the show "How it's made". Someone can inbed.

How it's made.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:49:48 AM EDT
[#43]
One of our old Snappy truckers always had the how it's made videos playing. Pretty cool stuff.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#44]
That's similar to our forging technique except we do our blanking after we induction heat and our presses are horizontal.  We also do cold forging too. Most of our parts are automotive engine and drivetrain parts.

I have always wanted to dump a load of brass in one of the vibratory finishers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's similar to our forging technique except we do our blanking after we induction heat and our presses are horizontal.  We also do cold forging too. Most of our parts are automotive engine and drivetrain parts.

I have always wanted to dump a load of brass in one of the vibratory finishers.
View Quote

You and me both.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#46]

hey OP, can you get me a replacement dead blow hammer?  
i hit something with it when it was 25'F in my garage and it fell apart.  

(*) informational note:
i threw it across the room after the broken coil spring i was trying to pry out jumped out of position and trapped my thumb against the lower control arm.  
is this covered by warranty?  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Sounds painfull. I doubt that I can do any more getting it replaced than your local truck guy or corporate.  But, if you meet resistance let me know and I'll find out who can get it done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top