Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2014 5:33:16 AM EDT
What's the best way to remove rivets from a truck frame.
I have ground off the heads and can't get enough swing with a hammer and punch to get the rest out.
harbor freight air hammer?
replacing leaf spring shackles on 94 ford.

any insight or trick to get bushing out of leaf spring would be appreciated
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:52:23 AM EDT
[#1]
It goes much easier if you get some friends to help you remove the bed. 6 bolts, disconnect the electrics and 4 screws to remove the fuel filler to get it off. It makes life much simpler when you have room to work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What's the best way to remove rivets from a truck frame.
I have ground off the heads and can't get enough swing with a hammer and punch to get the rest out.
harbor freight air hammer?
replacing leaf spring shackles on 94 ford.

any insight or trick to get bushing out of leaf spring would be appreciated
View Quote

When I replace the shackle on my suburban I burned the head off with a torch and used a air hammer to drive them out.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup air hammer, quick work.

Bushings, a torch is your friend. Unless you have a press, but then you probably wouldn't be asking. Torch to burn out the rubber, messy but it gets it done.

But first let's talk about shop safety.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you simply replacing the shackles themself or the shackle mounts also?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:12:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have done a ton of these... Get an air hammer as the bed is in the way to get any force with a hammer which is what you are finding I'm sure. The dorman replacement kit includes bolts for the frame mount...but I still stitch weld the bracket to the frame in a few places for safety, along with the bolts. The shackle bolt that is thru the spring eye is usually rusted also and frozen to the bushing sleeve.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 4:09:27 PM EDT
[#6]
got four of the rivets out but thinking I need to take it up to the bosses shop where he has larger tanks
I might have a problem with the bushing out of the leaf spring
I am replacing the shackles and brackets as well as the bushing in the leaf spring
If I don't have to replace the bushings in the leaf I wont but yes the bolts are frozen and I will probably damage them with the heat

WHERE HAS THIS AIR HAMMER BEEN ALL MY LIFE? wow is that nice
I probably pissed off the neighbors with all the pounding I was doing last few days
I can see myself getting some more air tools soon and a bigger compressor
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top