Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2014 7:51:58 PM EDT
I have a fridge (Whirlpool).  I'm not sure of the exact issue but I will describe it and you can let me know what you think.  I have connected the waterline. The dispenser works properly, but with a bad taste.  I have replaced the filter and the taste is still there.  Also the ice maker does not fill.  I buy bagged ice and fill the ice dispenser; so the dispenser portion is working properly.  Ultimately the water taste bad and the ice dispenser will not fill. Any ideas??
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a fridge (Whirlpool).  I'm not sure of the exact issue but I will describe it and you can let me know what you think.  I have connected the waterline. The dispenser works properly, but with a bad taste.  I have replaced the filter and the taste is still there.  Also the ice maker does not fill.  I buy bagged ice and fill the ice dispenser; so the dispenser portion is working properly.  Ultimately the water taste bad and the ice dispenser will not fill. Any ideas??
View Quote

Copper line or plastic line?
New fridge?

Use copper line and an actual valve (small ball valves work well) for the feed.
The 'strap' valve is NOT allowed under codes just about everywhere.
They also rust and do not seal when closed worth a cr*p.

A new fridge can take a bunch of ice to start not having a bad taster.

Copper feed does not allow 'flavors' to penetrate into the water in the line.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#2]
A brand new fridge?
You have to discard the first several batches of ice.  Mine told me to discard the first two bins full.
If it's not filling the ice, there may be a shipping plug in the line or a line you have to connect.

When you replace the filter you have to flush about 2 gallons through it to red rid of the powdered carbon.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#3]
We have had a lot of foul tasting water issues cause by both braided stainless and braided nylon water lines. If you have either of these types of lines fill a glass/pot/bowl directly from the line and see if it tastes bad, and if it does then change lines. As for the i/m it could have a frozen fill tube or it could have a loose plug on water valve. If you give a model # you can get a better diagnoses.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies

The fridge is not new, it is our garage fridge. (Whirlpool model ED5PHEXRL00)
It is plastic tubing with a ball valve at the wall.  Apparently this is where the taste is coming from.  Still no idea on the ice maker though. I use bagged ice, but if there's an easy answer it would save wasted time.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#5]
New filter takes about 5 gallons to clear out.  Run 10 two quart pitchers first.

On the ice maker, unplug the fridge for two hours without opening the fridge part.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top