Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2014 8:45:18 AM EDT
my cousin needs to have her A/C charged.I don't want her to be taken so i am curious how much it usually cost to do so.  her system is about 5 years old
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Just had mine done yesterday. Cost me $75 for the service call and $30 for Freon.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried the AC in a can method and it overcharged my Volvo system.  Cost me $60 for a pro to diagnose the problem and let some pressure out of the system.

Lesson learned.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#3]

R410a not so expensive.  
R22 is hella expensive.  

In any case, if the tech finds that the refrigerant is leaking he should pull the refrigerant, fix the leak, and then put new refrigerant.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the area you live in. Around here (western NY) it's about $100 service fee plus $35 to $50 per pound of r22.

Technically, you should never have to add refrigerant to a system. It's a sealed system. If you do, there's a leak somewhere. If you're really worried about people taking advantage of her, pay the little bit extra for a reputable company to come out and fix it the right way.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:30:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

R410a not so expensive.  
R22 is hella expensive.  

In any case, if the tech finds that the refrigerant is leaking he should pull the refrigerant, fix the leak, and then put new refrigerant.  

ar-jedi
View Quote

And you cannot purchase R22 without an EPA card.

What A/C are we talking about?
Car?
House?
How do they know it needs a charge (only)?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#6]

OPs subject line says home.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Had to have ours done last year. I wanna say it was about $700.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#8]
5 years old should be r410

$100 service call and $15 to $25 per pound.  If it needs to be charged there is a leak.  Leak in either coil is easily $1000 job.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Its getting to the point that if your R22 system is leaking, you have to consider replacing the whole system
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Car?
House?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

R410a not so expensive.  
R22 is hella expensive.  

ar-jedi

Car?
House?

Home.  i know a little about a/c and i went over to take a look at it.   everything seems to be working except the air is not cold. clean filter, fan spinning. i checked the large lline and its warm.  should be ice cold.  this is a newer house and she has been trying to contact he company tha installed it and it seems they may be out of biz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top