Two lighting circuits.

Two outlet circuits (20a each for hand tools and small air
compressor).

One circuit for the outside lights, garage door opener, and
inside entryway light.

One 220v, 50a circuit for a ceramic kiln, the kiln will be
used outdoors.

I would like some expansion capacity.

I have already buried the conduit, 2” Schedule 80.  There are 2 90 degree bends.  I was going to use individual copper wire
(black, red, white and ground) but the HomeDepot guy suggested #2 aluminum URD
instead of the individual copper wires.
This will save over 50% of the cost for the copper.

I have several questions:

1.      Is
the recommended #2 cable a good choice?
Can I run it inside the house from the entry point 30 feet to the main
service panel without conduit?

2.      Should
I expect to be able to pull the #2 cable through the 2 inch conduit with 2 90
degree bends?  What sort of setup should I
put together to pull the cable?  I’m
envisioning lots of lube and a come along but what is the best way to attach
the cable to the come along?

3.      With
more than 6 circuits do I need a main breaker at the sub panel?

4.      What
would be a good sub panel selection?  I know
I need isolated ground and neutral bars and 2 ground rods at the sub panel.

5.      Is
there anything I have overlooked?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:19:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Get something the size of a 24 ckt/125 amp subpanel.  IDK why you need 2 ground rods, the sub will be bonded by the grounding conductor.  Won't hurt tho.    Gotta run, I'll check in l8tr
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IDK why you need 2 ground rods, the sub will be bonded by the grounding conductor.
View Quote

National Electric Code -- how does it work?

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious on the two ground rods as well. I only needed one when I re-wired my whole house from the meter all the way through the house.

I used 4/0 4/0 2/0 aluminum wire, black/black/yellow at Lowes, its $1.8* something I think a foot, really cheap compared to the other stuff. Are there different rules if the line is going in conduit?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:44:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:57:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I am looking for help/suggestions on a project to add asub panel to my garage.  

I want to upgrade the electrical capacity in the garage to accommodate:

Two lighting circuits.

Two outlet circuits (20a each for hand tools and small aircompressor).

One circuit for the outside lights, garage door opener, andinside entryway light.

One 220v, 50a circuit for a ceramic kiln, the kiln will beused outdoors.

I would like some expansion capacity.

I have already buried the conduit, 2” Schedule 80.  There are 2 90 degree bends.  I was going to use individual copper wire(black, red, white and ground) but the HomeDepot guy suggested #2 aluminum URDinstead of the individual copper wires. This will save over 50% of the cost for the copper.

I have several questions:

1.      Isthe recommended #2 cable a good choice? Can I run it inside the house from the entry point 30 feet to the mainservice panel without conduit?

2.      ShouldI expect to be able to pull the #2 cable through the 2 inch conduit with 2 90degree bends?  What sort of setup should Iput together to pull the cable?  I’menvisioning lots of lube and a come along but what is the best way to attachthe cable to the come along?

3.      Withmore than 6 circuits do I need a main breaker at the sub panel?

4.      Whatwould be a good sub panel selection?  I knowI need isolated ground and neutral bars and 2 ground rods at the sub panel.

5.      Isthere anything I have overlooked?

Thanks
View Quote

#2 aluminum is fine, but it has to be in conduit in the house. you could run SER aluminum thru to house and splice it in a junction box before it goes underground.
A separate building HAS to have a main disconnect.

I would buy the same type breaker panel as your house, just to have common breakers, unless the house is some weird panel.
You haven't said how long the run is, so it's hard to recommend  a pull set up. Can you borrow a fish tape?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]
If the garage is detached from the house you need the double rods and a full up service panel.

If the garage is attached to the house no rods, just a sub-panel.

Either way 4 wire feed and isolated neutral-ground in the panel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the garage is detached from the house you need the double rods and a full up service panel.  (***)
If the garage is attached to the house no rods, just a sub-panel.
Either way 4 wire feed and isolated neutral-ground in the panel.
View Quote

(***) side note: except in the case where only one branch circuit is extended to the detached structure.  
so a single 120Vac branch circuit, and in fact a 120Vac MWBC, does not require a separate grounding system nor a service panel -- just a disconnect.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help so far.

I don't think I want to have two different types of cable with the attendant splice so I will probably either go with copper (unlikely due to the cost) or run the aluminum in conduit from panel to panel.

To answer one question above, the distance between panels is approximately 60 feet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top