Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2014 11:24:24 AM EDT
I want to put a door on the back of my garage but I have to bury my electrical service line. I just got the permit today but now I am stumped as to what to purchase to connect the schedule 40 PVC to the meter and the size of the conduit I need. I have 200 AMP service and the wire that is currently there is 0/4 AWG 2/0 AWG AL XHHW-2. It has 2 main wire and the 3rd wire is braided around the first 2. My house is only 3 years old and has all the grounds in place so I should be set.
What are the connectors I need to connect the pvc to the meter box? The street side is 2 1/2 inch schedule 40 where it attaches at the meter then sleeved down to 2 inch for slip so I was thinking the same thing, but wanted to know if I can go with a smaller conduit size then 2 inch as a 2 inch LB is pretty big for where it goes into the house. The 3rd picture is what the connections I need but I don't know what is inside the meter and I will not have it disconnected until Tuesday but I don't want to be driving around to find parts when I want it reconnected a few hours later.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The fitting is called a "TA" Terminal adapter.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#2]
How did that pass inspection? I thought that if the meter wasn't back to back or within 6 feet of the panel that you had to have a disconnect to meet the NEC
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How did that pass inspection? I thought that if the meter wasn't back to back or within 6 feet of the panel that you had to have a disconnect to meet the NEC
View Quote

The code just says "adjacent" without a length or distance.
The allowed limit is up to local interpretation.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha it has been 6 feet or back to back in my area for as long as I can remember I assumed it was code.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
If I remember correctly code now states you have to bury it 24" deep. When I did mine it was 18"
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:25:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If I remember correctly code now states you have to bury it 24" deep. When I did mine it was 18"
View Quote

The NEC does not apply to the distribution side of household drops (even though they imply it does in some of the 'service' articles.
These actually apply to wiring YOU install between buildings or if the 'service' ends at a yard pole with a disconnect.
The POCO can do what it wants to protect its lines, or require you to follow their rules.

In some places (Virginia is one) the POCO owns and maintains everything up to the input side of the meter box.

For many years they had a preferred meter box and gave them away for service upgrades for the asking.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:40:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The NEC does not apply to the distribution side of household drops (even though they imply it does in some of the 'service' articles.
These actually apply to wiring YOU install between buildings or if the 'service' ends at a yard pole with a disconnect.
The POCO can do what it wants to protect its lines, or require you to follow their rules.

In some places (Virginia is one) the POCO owns and maintains everything up to the input side of the meter box.

For many years they had a preferred meter box and gave them away for service upgrades for the asking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. So a 200 amp run from the meter to the breaker panel no problem but my 60 amp between the 2 buildings for a distance of 3' they made me bury it down 18".
Sometimes their reasoning is just unexplainable
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:15:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Interesting. So a 200 amp run from the meter to the breaker panel no problem but my 60 amp between the 2 buildings for a distance of 3' they made me bury it down 18".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No everything thing from the meter can on is subject to the NEC while the wiring from the power company to the meter isn't
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I found the one part I was looking for. It is Arlington NM2520.

What type of wire do I need. I am using 4/0-4/0-2/0 AL XHHW-2 but I know that can't be used as the buried conduit is considered a wet location and the ground is unshielded. . The local supply house said URD, but as far as  know i can't use URD going into the house. The location of the breaker box makes it hard to have conduit in the house.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I found the one part I was looking for. It is Arlington NM2520.

What type of wire do I need. I am using 4/0-4/0-2/0 AL XHHW-2 but I know that can't be used as the buried conduit is considered a wet location and the ground is unshielded. . The local supply house said URD, but as far as  know i can't use URD going into the house. The location of the breaker box makes it hard to have conduit in the house.

View Quote

What about SER cable?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, that is a crappy wire job. That is about as cheap of a way to do it as possible.
If you are going to use aluminum, you will have to run 2'', I would run 2 1/2'' if I were doing it.
You want XHHW if it is in conduit, you will need to run conduit all the way to the panel.

If your garage is unfinished, I would put an outside main right below the meter, then run 3/0-3 & 1/0 ground SER Aluminum thru the garage, then into the basement maybe. It would be cleaner and way easier. If you have an outside main, you will have to separate all the grounds from the neutrals in the panel.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow, that is a crappy wire job. That is about as cheap of a way to do it as possible.
If you are going to use aluminum, you will have to run 2'', I would run 2 1/2'' if I were doing it.
You want XHHW if it is in conduit, you will need to run conduit all the way to the panel.

If your garage is unfinished, I would put an outside main right below the meter, then run 3/0-3 & 1/0 ground SER Aluminum thru the garage, then into the basement maybe. It would be cleaner and way easier. If you have an outside main, you will have to separate all the grounds from the neutrals in the panel.
View Quote

Since when is 3/0 good for 200 amps?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:21:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put 4/0 AI in mine

Edit....NEC wire size
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:43:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I put 4/0 AI in mine

Edit....NEC wire size
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put 4/0 AI in mine

Edit....NEC wire size

Crap, yes 4/0,
It will be a bitch to pull thru 2 ''.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:44:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Crap, yes 4/0,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put 4/0 AI in mine

Edit....NEC wire size

Crap, yes 4/0,

Yes thats my thought too. Hope OP has some big husky friends and beer money
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:19:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put 4/0 AI in mine

Edit....NEC wire size

Crap, yes 4/0,

Pulling lube is your friend.
Get the quart bottle if the tun is not all that long.
Pull all lines at the same time.

Make SURE you buy long enough cable.
NO SPLICES HERE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top