Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2014 9:09:35 AM EDT
Hey guys, I've got a leaking bath tub faucet, so I decided to change it out. I went the route of changing the whole thing.   It's been a couple weeks and there's still no change. It may even be worse, I dunno.  Also, the kitchen faucet is leaking a little after changing out the o-ring as well.  Anybody have any clue what's happening?  Thanks for all replies.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#1]
what is your water pressure?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no clue.  I do know that had to change the reducer a few months ago.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Need to check the pressure. Over 60 psi can cause issues.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the box stores sell the pressure gauges in the sprinkler section.  They screw on the hose bib.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
You changed the entire tub faucet, and now the new on drips too?

What brand of faucet did you have?

What brand did you replace it with?

Any pics?

Water hammer usually presents before drippy faucets when pressure is the issue, but still a good idea to check it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Mine runs 80 psi.  No issues.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#7]
OP -

Are you on a well water system or municipal water??????

If you are on a well system put filters inline with the faucets and see if any crap is coming up from the well.

We used to have problems until we put an improved filtration system on the main line from the well.

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF you need 80 PSI for?

We set pressure at 40 PSI and all is perfect.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:25:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You changed the entire tub faucet, and now the new on drips too?     Correct

What brand of faucet did you have?   I don't know what the brand was originally, as it came with the house.  

What brand did you replace it with?   I'm pretty sure I got a Delta diverter spout

Any pics?     None right now.

Water hammer usually presents before drippy faucets when pressure is the issue, but still a good idea to check it.  What's a water hammer?  Is that where it sounds as if somebody's banging on the pipes?  That's what led me to replace the pressure reducer a couple months back.  Well, that and it was leaking.
View Quote

See above
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:25:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OP -

Are you on a well water system or municipal water??????

If you are on a well system put filters inline with the faucets and see if any crap is coming up from the well.

We used to have problems until we put an improved filtration system on the main line from the well.
View Quote

We are on municipal water.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some pex is only rated for 80 psi depending on hot water temperature.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

See above
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You changed the entire tub faucet, and now the new on drips too?     Correct

What brand of faucet did you have?   I don't know what the brand was originally, as it came with the house.  

What brand did you replace it with?   I'm pretty sure I got a Delta diverter spout

Any pics?     None right now.

Water hammer usually presents before drippy faucets when pressure is the issue, but still a good idea to check it.  What's a water hammer?  Is that where it sounds as if somebody's banging on the pipes?  That's what led me to replace the pressure reducer a couple months back.  Well, that and it was leaking.

See above

did you change the faucet (the whole brass valve body)in the wall, or just the tub spout where the water drips out of?

water hammer is the banging  you hear when a quick closing valve shuts, and the kinetic energy of the moving water in the pipes is transferred into a shockwave

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Every diverter spout I've ever had leaked.  I think they are intentionally made that way.

I believe we were all under the impression you were referring to a leaking valve, like the ones shown below, not a leaking diverter spout.

Please clarify which it is.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:06:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's what I've got.

Coming out of the bath tub. I replaced that attachment

The spout itself I just replaced

I replaced this a couple months ago due to a leak.  I have the pressure down pretty good, but the bath tub spout is still leaking.  I don't know enough about plumbing to accurately troubleshoot it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:58:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I just realized the bath tub spout that I showed above probably has nothing to do with the leak, since it's just an attachment.  I'm probably looking for the stem in the hot/cold handle, aren't I?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I just realized the bath tub spout that I showed above probably has nothing to do with the leak, since it's just an attachment.  I'm probably looking for the stem in the hot/cold handle, aren't I?
View Quote
yes

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
yes

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#17]
you may just need to replace the cartridge inside you mixer valve
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:10:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
you may just need to replace the cartridge inside you mixer valve
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking.  Unfortunately, the damn thing is stuck because of a stripped/rusted hex screw holding the handle in.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Just changed the cartridge.  Hasn't leaked yet, keeping fingers crossed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top