Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2014 6:07:46 PM EDT
I am going to put up another pole building. I want to use it as a garage, workout, and work shop/reloading shop.

I am thinking of something the size of 30x42?

What brand do you guys recommend or should I just buy a box store package and put it up?

I have two others and am not going to go with that brand again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
HMMMM. nobody has built a name brand pole building they really like?

How about the ones I should stay away from????
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 6:07:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The only national one I know of that I have heard good things about is Morton.  

I would check with some local builders.  Often, they can beat the price of a nationally known builder.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Morton is pretty much king here in the midwest.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Amish

I would not go any other way.  We use a company from the Lancaster area and they drive down for the day usually.  Sometimes they stay overnight.  Quality has be very good and the price is good too.

Shop around and see who works in your area.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two morton buildings now. The older one  was pretty reasonable to buy. I only had a few issues with it and they were not warrantied.
The newer one I have is a lot bigger and was not as reasonable. As a matter of fact, it was high compared to other buildings then.
Now, I have a huge issue with this building. I was going to build a new Morton and called the Morton man. We drew up a building and the price gave me sticker shock. I changed a few things(more cost) and when he came back, I asked him to look at the roof on the newer building as the paint had faded and was flaking off like crazy. He said he would fix it when he built the new one. Now, I find out it is not under warranty. They said it was flaking because of acidity in the air.....wonder why my older one is not flaking?

so, I need to find one to try to get up before winter hits. The amish thing might work, but I heard they sometimes start a job and then pull off to start another and another and you have trouble getting it finished?
I guess I will just look around.
I like my newer building but not the roof paint.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had construction done by Amish builders and in my experience, they build quick, square, and level.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've had construction done by Amish builders and in my experience, they build quick, square, and level.  

YMMV
View Quote

I think I will look into that. I guess if I had some sort of time frame I should be okay.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:40:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought mine from Sutherlands. I am very happy with it. Its well built and I have had zero issues with it over the past 8 years or so that I've had it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Im in Ohio and looking also. Menards seems to have everyone beat on package pricing for the materials. Was going to construct myself but does not look like im going to have the time. I've been told to go with the Amish builders. Still looking into it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Check with your local lumber yard.  I am building a 32'x60'x14' on this slab in the next few weeks.  I contacted 3 local lumber yards.  At least around here, they will work with local contractors and supply you a "package" with labor included.  If you are building yourself, they will design the building and provide you a material quote for free.  My 3 quotes differed by about $4k from the cheapest to most expensive, so it pays to shop around.  Menards is really cheap too, especially when you buy at one of their 11% rebate sales.  They will design for free and can likely recommend a contractor.

There is a member of this site that ships pole building kits nationally.  I think his site is http://www.hansenpolebuildings.com/.  There is pretty good info on the site.

Also, check out http://www.garagejournal.com

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Even with the Amish there is a variety of quality and price, and they don't necessarily go together.  We got multiple bids and drove around checking out the work.  It was all pretty good, but the most expensive guy was probably 50% more and is quality was not the best either.

We ended up going with a relatively young guy who had only been out on is own about 3 years.  He was onsite just about every day and was very hands on.  He has great references and the work we checked out was top notch.

You can find their ads in the local "want ads" or see them at trade shows such as horse, farm, etc..  Of course, word of mouth is the best way.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amish

I would not go any other way.  We use a company from the Lancaster area and they drive down for the day usually.  Sometimes they stay overnight.  Quality has be very good and the price is good too.

Shop around and see who works in your area.
View Quote

I'd have to agree, the Amish builders in the west/southwest area do very good work. They installed a timber frame house for my father. The fit and finish has no equal, they may even work with Menards also...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top