Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 4:17:17 PM EDT
Hi All,

The wife and I are in the very early stages of building an off-grid cabin. We haven't even bought the land yet, but I have a ton of questions, and it's sure fun to dream. If this isn't the right forum, if you can, please point me in the right direction.

The cabin is going to be roughly 24'W x 32'D with an eight foot porch on the front. There will be a loft over the porch and 12' loft in the back over the bedroom(s). I consider my self pretty handy, but I am going to get some professional help to do the harder stuff like the loft and the roof framing. Prior to the cabin construction, we are going to build a 12x16 shed for practice and a place to stay while building the cabin.

It's going to be in the woods with no zoning restrictions or requirements to worry about.

Foundation has me all confused The property will be in central Wisconsin. I believe about a 40" frost line. What are my options for foundation? I don't want a basement. What about crawl space, piers, skids, slab? I have searched up and down and I am having a hard time coming up with a solid answer for cold weather. I am thinking piers might be the best way to go. It'd be nice to have it about three feet off the ground. For some reason, the thought of this scares me. I'd likely have to get help to make sure everything is straight and level. How about concrete/gravel piers up to grade and concrete blocks to get it up off the ground and then using skids?

I am planning on conventional framing rather than log. The cabin will have a 12/12 roof built with rafters. Can I do 24" OC studs with 2x4's? What about 2x6's? It's going to get framed like a big box to start. Then I will get it weather resistant and then worry about windows and what not later on. I will frame those from the inside and cut out the sheathing when the time comes. The reason for this is because I'm not sure what the window dimensions will be. Obviously I will need an entry door, but this is my plan as of now.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi All,

The wife and I are in the very early stages of building an off-grid cabin. We haven't even bought the land yet, but I have a ton of questions, and it's sure fun to dream. If this isn't the right forum, if you can, please point me in the right direction.

The cabin is going to be roughly 24'W x 32'D with an eight foot porch on the front. There will be a loft over the porch and 12' loft in the back over the bedroom(s). I consider my self pretty handy, but I am going to get some professional help to do the harder stuff like the loft and the roof framing. Prior to the cabin construction, we are going to build a 12x16 shed for practice and a place to stay while building the cabin.

It's going to be in the woods with no zoning restrictions or requirements to worry about.

Foundation has me all confused The property will be in central Wisconsin. I believe about a 40" frost line. What are my options for foundation? I don't want a basement. What about crawl space, piers, skids, slab? I have searched up and down and I am having a hard time coming up with a solid answer for cold weather. I am thinking piers might be the best way to go. It'd be nice to have it about three feet off the ground. For some reason, the thought of this scares me. I'd likely have to get help to make sure everything is straight and level. How about concrete/gravel piers up to grade and concrete blocks to get it up off the ground and then using skids?

I am planning on conventional framing rather than log. The cabin will have a 12/12 roof built with rafters. Can I do 24" OC studs with 2x4's? What about 2x6's? It's going to get framed like a big box to start. Then I will get it weather resistant and then worry about windows and what not later on. I will frame those from the inside and cut out the sheathing when the time comes. The reason for this is because I'm not sure what the window dimensions will be. Obviously I will need an entry door, but this is my plan as of now.

Thoughts?
View Quote

For footers you could rent a skid steer or mini track hoe with a 12 inch auger attachment and drill your pier footing down below the frost line. You can then line the holes with 12" sono tubes leaving them sticking up out of the ground 3 feet and pour them full of concrete. Don't forget to drive some stakes and use some bracing to hold to tubes plum and to keep them from floating out while being poured. In the top of these you can imbed some type of anchor to hold your frame to the round columns. Also don't forget to rent a vibrator to vibrate the concrete as your pour.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy plans.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Buy plans.
View Quote

QFT.

If it's "floating" on piers, remember you'll have to insulate the floor more than you might with a crawlspace. Air blowing underneath will suck heat out like nobody's business.

2x4 studs go on 16" centers, 2x6 can go on 24" but check your local codes.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy plans.
View Quote

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#5]
QFT = ?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:31:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any suggestions?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy plans.

Any suggestions?

I don't have any particular source for you because there are too many.

A randomly selected source for plans

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
QFT = ?
View Quote

Quoted For Truth
or
Quite F'ing True
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Country plans

They have a forum too with information that you might find useful.  There are quite a few off grid homes on there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Country plans

They have a forum too with information that you might find useful.  There are quite a few off grid homes on there.
View Quote

Thanks!

This site is really informative for anyone else that is interested.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in the Wausau area and am slowly finishing up a project very similar to what you are planning. I don't have many pictures saved but here are a few older ones.

I also used the country plans website for help and insperation. I'd be glad to help out in any way I can.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Start off with a plan, you want it to be a home not a kids fort. What about having the house off the ground 1 floor with a small walk in room under it or just plain storage. I have seen homes in Alaska that are built this way, and they can store wood under it, tools, snow machines or other supplies. You can have a big walk around deck too with an overhang roof that will make the house feel bigger and make a nice place to be outside.

I suggest 2x6 walls 16" on center. Make it strong and seal it up with spray foam. Thicker walls with a closed cell foam will make the house be like an igloo cooler, warm in the summer and cooler in the winter. It will cut your energy consumption way down which would be good off the grid. Don't forget to do the bottom too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:48:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Country plans

Thanks!

One of my favorite threads from the country plans site
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I would also cover the exterior with rigid foam, regardless of what type of insulation you use.  It helps by providing a thermal break between the framing and the exterior.  For an off grid home, you want to insulate heavily because you don't want to use a lot of energy to heat and possibly cool it.  Off grid homes work because of energy conservation...not by adding more and more solar panels.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#15]
My aunt is doing the same thing here in Northern MN.  Hers is smaller though...16'x16' I believe.  It has 2x6 walls and is sitting on 6x6 treated timbers for skids.  Insulated under the floor.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Insulation is key here.  getting a floor comfortable is challenging.

I'd recommend radiant food heat if you can pull it off.

Batt insulation is terrible, foam is pricy.  I'd be tempted to run sleepers on the floor with ridged foam in-between.  Need s thermal break or something.

You'll need to plan a heated pipe chase for the water

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top