Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2014 2:16:10 PM EDT
I'm pretty anal about my stuff as I have several hundred metal CD's that are not easy to replace.
I've thought of putting the cases and books up in the attic or something, and the discs in one of those binders.
Is this a good idea?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah, pretty much what we do/did. except my wife made me through out the cases.

and I rip everything to mp4 or mp3 now and leave the books alone.

anything out like that the kids eventually rip up.

my favorite ps2 game got left out and got some pretty good scratches in it.

backup copies don't work well in that, so I keep the original normally out of their reach.

movies, I do the same now. as soon as we get it, I rip it to hd and convert it to mp4 and put it up on my pvr so they can watch it there.
learned from other kid dvd's that bought the farm even after they learned to take them out of the dvd player to change them, they tend to drag them over the tables.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
You should have long since ripped all your audio to digital files, that way you can put the CDs themselves into storage in their jewel cases.

DVDs I can understand many folks not ripping, since not everyone has access to terabytes upon terabytes of convenient, accessible network storage like me.

My games I just store on shelves in their jewel cases or game boxes.  PC games have mostly been installed with no-disk cracks and I can archive their directories off to local magnetic disk or my local network storage if I'm not playing them at the time and need some room on the game computer's SSD.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Shelves. Line the walls with shelves if you have to.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Rip the CD's to .flac files (mp3's are lossy).  Then back it up a couple times for redundancy.  Sell the rare cd's and profit.

You can get 3000 .flac cd rips onto 1tb drive.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rip the CD's to .flac files (mp3's are lossy).  Then back it up a couple times for redundancy.  Sell the rare cd's and profit.

View Quote

Now you're violating COC by advocating piracy.  If you sell off the CDs you are required, legally, to delete your digital media files linked to ownership of those original CDs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#6]
My buddy lined the walls of his media room with racks from Boltz

They are pricey, but look great.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I ripped all my CDs and store them in the basement.

Don't keep them where they get warmer than room temp.  That will degrade them faster.

Now I just have a couple of terabyte drives with my music on it.  No stereo at the moment and MP3s sound just as good as a cd when played through a computer.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I ripped all my CDs and store them in the basement.

Don't keep them where they get warmer than room temp.  That will degrade them faster.

Now I just have a couple of terabyte drives with my music on it.  No stereo at the moment and MP3s sound just as good as a cd when played through a computer.
View Quote
I kept them for YEARS in a case in my car before compressed storage became popular.  My Cinderella "Night Songs" CD from 1986 looks and sounds exactly like the day I bought it.

Mine have been ripped to WMA lossless for home listening and a copy in WMA 320kbps for listening in the car.  The lossless copy is backed up on two different NAS drives and the original CD is boxed up in a bedroom closet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I like iTunes and ripped mine to Apple Lossless.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now you're violating COC by advocating piracy.  If you sell off the CDs you are required, legally, to delete your digital media files linked to ownership of those original CDs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because every time someone says "and profit" on this message board they are giving someone literal instructions... It's obvious you don't understand sarcasm my friend.

You ever read the GD?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top