Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2014 5:19:40 PM EDT
Howdy guys,

Question: I'm going to be restaining my deck in a month, and have been looking at a long-term (allegedly) deck stain called Rustoleum Deck Restore.  They have giant displays for it at Home Depot and Lowes, and I know they sell a ton of it.  My understanding is that it's almost more of a thick paint rather than a stain, and it's supposed to last longer than the normal 2-3 years or so that regular stain lasts.  It's also plenty expensive, and will cost about $500 just in stain.

Anyone ever use this product, or know anything about it?  Are there better alternatives?

My only hesitation is I just read the Amazon.com reviews, and was surprised by the number of poor reviews.  I'm starting to think that might be what's known as a "clue".

Any suggestions, advice or ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks much!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I used it and was disappointed.  The texture is very rough - which was something that attracted me to it because it is non-slip and hides imperfections in old decking - but it collects and holds dirt and water.  Also, it came off in the highest traffic area of my deck.  To be fair, when I complained Rustoleum sent me a 5 gallon bucket of Deck Restore in amends.  I only needed 16 ounces maybe; so I'm prepared for the future....  I could probably recoat my whole deck actually.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used it and was disappointed.  The texture is very rough - which was something that attracted me to it because it is non-slip and hides imperfections in old decking - but it collects and holds dirt and water.  Also, it came off in the highest traffic area of my deck.  To be fair, when I complained Rustoleum sent me a 5 gallon bucket of Deck Restore in amends.  I only needed 16 ounces maybe; so I'm prepared for the future....  I could probably recoat my whole deck actually.
View Quote

Thanks for the input.  I've seen other people claim it flakes easily after 6+ months.  The more reviews I read, the more I'm thinking I should probably look at other options.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:49:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you backbrush it?

If you go over it twice or something it'll come out smoother.

On the flaking thing, well, after doing my own deck (and comparing it to a guy I know who got his start in construction by building decks), I'm fairly sure that 90% of issues people have with all kinds of deck stain are related to improper wood prep. Including my own.

The two people I know personally that used it love it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:54:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Did you backbrush it?

On the flaking thing, well, after doing my own deck (and comparing it to a guy I know who got his start in construction by building decks), I'm fairly sure that 90% of issues people have with all kinds of deck stain are related to improper wood prep. Including my own.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you backbrush it?

Thanks for weighing in, Spade.

That's a fair point about wood prep.  Same thing often happens with firearms.

Do you suggest I use a deck cleaner first, or do I need to full-on sand the deck before applying a stain?  (As you can tell, I've never stained a deck before.  I've always hired someone, but am going to do it myself this time.)
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to use a similar product from menards.
The reason is because we have recently had TWO threads on this, and the majority of arfcommers have found it favorable.
Even the lady at the store said it's all about the prep work.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's my perspective.  Take it for what it's worth.

Stains are fundamentally different than paints.  Stains are mostly oil.  The oil penetrates into the wood.  They usually have a pigment in them which sits on the surface and adds color.  The thing about stain is, it needs to be replenished every so often based upon weather, use, etc.  The ting about replenishing a stain is, it is EASY to do - clean the surface and roller on a new coat.

Paints, on the other hand, are mostly solids that create a film on the surface.  From the day it is applied, that film is doomed if it is on a flat deck surface, especially so if it is subject to foot traffic and wear (BBQ, etc).  It is a matter of time before it starts to peel and flake off.  In fact, the process starts before you are finished applying it.  When you need to remove that paint coating to refresh the surface, it will be a major undertaking to get back to the wood surface.

My advice - use an oil-based stain and reapply as needed.  If you want to replenish the oil without adding more color, there are clear oils available that will go down over your existing color coat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The Rustoleum, if you do some homework, is not made to be a stain at all.  Its for decks that beyond power washing and staining, but still have life left.  If the deck is decent, power wash and restain.  If its at the end of that life and the wood is wearing, buy it.  

As for the bad reviews, and as pointed out, 99% of the bad reviews are because folks do not read, assume, nor follow every direction.  There is prep work needed, and specific conditions and drying time.  Mess one up and it fails, whose fault is it?  Most will blame the product....when its the idiot with the product.

It works, but you need to follow directions.  It will be a "textured" surface and is not feet friendly for long periods of time.  It will last if done right, and put down with appropriate tools.  I have painted and hired painters.  If you use a roller at my house, it better be new.  I don't want to hear your story or anything else on why your roller is so great and can be used a hundred times.  BS- after one use the fibers are damaged.  If you can't afford a $10 roller or learn to bill it in appropriately, you should not be in business.  If you use this stuff, buy a good roller......and not one you will find a box store...your paint store!  You will see a huge difference.  Also double the dry time before walking.  We did my sisters deck, ensuring everything was followed, doubled the drying time, and the stuff is doing an incredible job, even with dogs and kids all over it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the last three posts, guys.  Extremely helpful!  I got more useful info out of those posts than I did scouring the Internet for two hours.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:41:20 AM EDT
[#9]
I used it, so far happy - except I left the texture rough, which in hindsight was done for safety, but not as good looking as it holds a little dirt and I knew I could have back brushed - But I didn't want people slipping on a smooth surface.  

Key to it is the best surface prep possible and sanding often to clean, bare wood.  Most decks have been sealed stained and painted with a  variety of products by the time someone tries this Rustoleum stuff.  If you take it to bare wood that is clean and sealer free, it holds up great.  Had a neighbor that really didn't prep his and it went on the same time as mine and his lifted in some areas. - with the old finish - duh!

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:48:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you properly prepare the old decking, prior to applying the finish?

Any finish will wear over time and with heavy traffic.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:51:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks for the input.  I've seen other people claim it flakes easily after 6+ months.  The more reviews I read, the more I'm thinking I should probably look at other options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flaking can be attributed to improper preparation and application.

Whatever way you go READ THE DIRECTIONS and follow them to the letter ...... this is the only way to get the best results.

Pay attention to time limit windows as well ....... if they tell you to apply the next coat after 12 hours and before 24 hours ...... do not try to apply the next coat in 11 or 25 hours and get expected results.

ALSO take into consideration application guides pertaining to temperature and humidity as well.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:04:26 AM EDT
[#12]
The stuff has the texture of a truck bed liner/stucco house.  I was going to use it on a cement patio and passed since I knew it would hold every bit of dirt that fell on it. For a wood deck it probably is a better option but there are stains that have sand mixed in to give them a non slip surface too and have a smoother surface.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:39:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you suggest I use a deck cleaner first, or do I need to full-on sand the deck before applying a stain?  (As you can tell, I've never stained a deck before.  I've always hired someone, but am going to do it myself this time.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you backbrush it?

Fuck if I know. I used 25 gallons of deck cleaner (the deck was really bad) and the semi-transparent we used still peeled.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been considering it, but for a lot less $ I can glue down some outdoor carpet. . I'm serious. Home Depot has 4 color choices and it is $0.42 a sq ft.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top