Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 7:03:24 PM EDT
I had a backhoe and bobcat on my front lawn last summer fixing a drain tile and after it was complete, I bought a truck load of topsoil and re seeded the affected areas.
the seed did grow, however I yellows much faster than the rest of the lawn. is this because I did not use enough topsoil?
or because the soil beneath is compacted rock hard?
the summer in Wisconsin has been cool and fairly wet. seeds were planted last summer/fall and grew in fairly thick.
what am I missing?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#1]
What's ph?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's ph?
View Quote

I would have to check. im not sure.
the lawn all around the area where the machinery operated is just fine, as it always has been.
the area that was driven over a lot is what is afflicted
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#3]
might be too compacted. try to aerate the area.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
might be too compacted. try to aerate the area.
View Quote

is that something I can DIY or do I need to hire out for it
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
you can DIY. What seed did you use? Sunny vice shade. Making sure your using the right mix.

Does the damaged area drain slow? Try pushing a screw driver down 5-6 inches in various spots. If its hard to do, its compacted making it hard for the roots to get air and water.

If you can hold of, do it in the fall. You should do the entire yard; one pass one way and then another 90 degrees the other way.

Its a bitch though, much easier to hire it out than to load, unload and get your ass kicked while doing it! I have mine done, aint nobody got time for that!
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Pos ted By audimurf:
you can DIY. What seed did you use? Sunny vice shade. Making sure your using the right mix.
View Quote

I used a sunny shade mix.
I did notice that the scotts seed I got to fill the dead patches from my dogs has grown much greener than the seeds I originally used.
I will see if I can find the brand as I saved the first bag in my garage.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a backhoe and bobcat on my front lawn last summer fixing a drain tile and after it was complete, I bought a truck load of topsoil and re seeded the affected areas.
the seed did grow, however I yellows much faster than the rest of the lawn. is this because I did not use enough topsoil?
the summer in Wisconsin has been cool and fairly wet. seeds were planted last summer/fall and grew in fairly thick.
what am I missing?
View Quote

The roots aren't able to break through the hard pan. I'd suggest that you aerate, or look into a variety with a shorter root base, and re seed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
You can DIY it with a pitch fork.  I don't know how big the area is but the pitch fork and time is all it takes.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:50:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The roots aren't able to break through the hard pan. I'd suggest that you aerate, or look into a variety with a shorter root base, and re seed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what am I missing?

ok, time to look in the classifieds for lawn aeration services.
i hope these dont cost an arm and a leg
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I would water some before they come and aerate.  I don't mean the day before but several times over a week or two.  Don't make it a muddy mess just enough so the tines will have a better chance of penetration.  I've had people ask me to aerate their yard.  I get there and they've never watered a day in their life so the yard is like concrete.  The aerator cannot penetrate through that to do any good.

Make sure they understand the problem and to go over the area several times.  You don't want them sending out some kid thinking he's just going to make one pass and jump back in the truck.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
what am I missing?

If it is a small area, just rent one.
Home Depot and Sunbelt rentals both should have them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Rent one. 40 dollars for 4 hours.  Be sure you had rain previous day or water for a couple days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top