Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 5:36:52 AM EDT
Since I am remodeling our landry room from the studs, I realize that I could run a gas line through a masonry wall to what could be a convenient place for a gas bbq grill.

I have no experience with outdoor  gas appliances. Has anyone tips or guidlines to share?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:37:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a grill picked out?

Reason I ask is I had a Weber 6 burner grill, and my ex-wife paid some one to run the gas line to our deck.  Run was about 40'.  They did not use a large enough pipe, so the grill never got hot enough. (I think they used 1/2")

When I moved out, I rented a house for 2 years, and put my own gas line in, I used a 1" pipe out to the deck and the grill worked a lot better.

So use the largest diameter pipe you can, cause once it is installed and covered up, you can not change it!  Bigger is better in this case.

I just looked up the specs and for my grill they say runs under 50' should be at least 5/8 OD Tube, and I believe that should include the hose that goes to the grill in that length.

#1, T off of a larger pipe then you are going to use, to ensure you have enough gas volume. (or the main line)
#2, Use a large enough pipe to where you will hook up the grill.
#3, I put a shut off where I teed off of the main line, and also at the end of the line where I had a quick coupler.  (the bozo that did my first house, did neither, and under speced the line)
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:48:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Thanks for the info. I am t ing off from a half inch pipe, the total run from where the half inch pipe connects to the one inch main is about 18 foot long. I wonder if this will starve the volume?

And I dont have a grill picked out until our newer charcoal Weber quits. So this is for a future need.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have a grill picked out?

Reason I ask is I had a Weber 6 burner grill, and my ex-wife paid some one to run the gas line to our deck.  Run was about 40'.  They did not use a large enough pipe, so the grill never got hot enough. (I think they used 1/2")

When I moved out, I rented a house for 2 years, and put my own gas line in, I used a 1" pipe out to the deck and the grill worked a lot better.

So use the largest diameter pipe you can, cause once it is installed and covered up, you can not change it!  Bigger is better in this case.

I just looked up the specs and for my grill they say runs under 50' should be at least 5/8 OD Tube, and I believe that should include the hose that goes to the grill in that length.

#1, T off of a larger pipe then you are going to use, to ensure you have enough gas volume. (or the main line)
#2, Use a large enough pipe to where you will hook up the grill.
#3, I put a shut off where I teed off of the main line, and also at the end of the line where I had a quick coupler.  (the bozo that did my first house, did neither, and under speced the line)
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
http://apps.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-calculator-a_9.html

If you scroll in put boxes you will get up-down arrows

Good Luck
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
http://apps.engineeringtoolbox.com/natural-gas-pipe-calculator-a_9.html

If you scroll in put boxes you will get up-down arrows

Good Luck
View Quote

Thanks MrHold, I have no clue how to find most of the data to input in to that calculator. Its a bit over my head I'm afraid.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:14:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I found a useful (for a neo like me) chart online:

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hogasflow.htm

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:01:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Gas Pipe Sizing

1 cfh = 1,000 BTUs

Maximum BTU rating of the grill, determine length and buy your pipe. Keep in mind adding the grill could require you to up the size of your supply pipe to feed other appliances

ETA:

How often do you grill, how far is the run, do you have the proper tools? Why are you wanting to do it, perceived cost savings or convenience?

Black pipe cost money (I don't know enough about the flex pipe sold at box stores) so do wrenches, dope and fittings. Assuming you have propane now there will a number of years until you see any "savings".

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:08:15 AM EDT
[#7]
pay someone with insurance to do it, that is licensed and gets a permit
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Go all the way to the meter and put in at least 1 inch.

Gas lines are rarely large enough to be tapped or extended for another appliance.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:01:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Our gas company was offering to install new lines for grills, free of charge.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Lowes stocks all the flex line and fittings.  You technically have to pass a test and have a card to buy it, but the test is you just saying you read the manual.  In the end the cashier didn't ask for my card, though he was prompted.

I was quoted $500 for the job. The parts from Lowes ran me less than $150.

It was fairly easy.  My run was '30 and I used 3/4.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top