Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2014 7:01:55 PM EDT
I've assisted with tile and have done other flooring projects myself.

I want to tile my utility room and 1/2 bath.  Here are the dumb questions I've come up with:

Question #1:  Interior transition.  This one really has me scratching my head.  I'll be going from tile to wood (soon, wood isn't in yet it's just vinyl at this very second) where the utility room opens to the rest of the house.  The door here is a bifold, so I'm not sure where to stop the tile and start the wood.

Question #2:  When doing a 1/2 bath am I better off with a wood baseboard or a tile baseboard?  I'm thinking wood.

Question #3:  What's the proper way to tile up to an exterior door threshold?  Get it close and grout between the threshold and the tile?  That doesn't seem right to me.

Anyone have photos?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Transition under wher the door sits closed. Then each room has its own flooring.

2. Whichever you want.

3. Yep, but I would use silicone rather than grout.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]
#3 Sanded caulk

Its flexible and wont crack like regular grout
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've assisted with tile and have done other flooring projects myself.
I want to tile my utility room and 1/2 bath.  Here are the dumb questions I've come up with:

Anyone have photos?
View Quote

the ARFCOM of setting tile:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.

Think the matching sanded caulk will fix my transition problems.

If I use 3/4" hardwood or engineered flooring it will be a very close match to that of my new tile so I may be close enough that I can take the hardwood up to the tile with no transition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top