Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2014 6:04:28 PM EDT
Central air unit's fan isn't running and unit is making a fairly load buzzing noise. Blower inside the house is running. Unit is 9 years old.

Shut it down for a while. Then turned it back on. Outdoor fan turned on but then shut down a short time later, buzzing but not as loud. Haven't checked out the unit closely nor took any panels out yet since it is dark out at the moment. Rather do it in the light of day.

Best guess from googling is a blown capcitor (looks like a fairly easy DIY job) but was wondering if it might be something else?

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Sure sounds like the cap to me.

Pull it tomorrow and take it with you to buy a new one.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Most likely the run capacitor. Its a $20 fix. Most caps run both the compressor and the fan. The capacitor terminals will be marked C for common, H for the hermetically sealed compressor, and F for fan.

Get a capacitor with the same voltage and capacitance values or larger.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep sounds like the capacitor. Just take a picture with the current wiring setup, get an identical one and swap it out. No problem. $15 part and two minutes of your time.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Loose connection

Wire falling off the cap at terminal marked "fan"

Could also be the thin wires that send the communication to tell the fan when to turn on. These wires are thin like the ones running to your thermostat, only these run between the unit outside to the furnace inside.  

A loose connection at any one of these points would cause the condenser fan to not run
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#5]
had the same happen to me. started out as teh capacitor, just unhook it and take it with you, also get your model number of unit. they are around $15-$20. might want to take a picture of teh connections before unhooking it. forgot to say that later the fan motor burned out which wasnt but about 80 bucks to replace but it can be a chore to install the new fan depending on how old your unit is. the newer fans have a few more connections we had to route to the panel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:27:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most likely the run capacitor. Its a $20 fix. Most caps run both the compressor and the fan. The capacitor terminals will be marked C for common, H for the hermetically sealed compressor, and F for fan.

Get a capacitor with the same voltage and capacitance values or larger.
View Quote

Increased voltage rating is ok, but keep the capacitance values the same.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:25:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like it was the capacitor. Old one's top bulged out pretty badly. Part was $20 at Grainger and was switched and tested in less than 10 minutes. I can only imagine what the HVAC guy would have charged me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like it was the capacitor. Old one's top bulged out pretty badly. Part was $20 at Grainger and was switched and tested in less than 10 minutes. I can only imagine what the HVAC guy would have charged me.
View Quote

Thats the only part they keep in the back of their van. Just tons of capacitors. And they go around changing them out for $120 bucks a pop
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

They would have charged you a service call ($59 at the place I use but I've seen as high as $99) plus the marked-up capacitor (varies, probably $30-$40).  Some will charge you an additional fee if they do additional work, like checking the freon.  

When I was young, dumb, and hot as hell because the AC wouldn't turn on and therefore not thinking straight, I paid an HVAC company to come find out what was wrong with the AC.  It was just the cap and a little low on freon.  $220.  

You saved yourself about $100 doing it yourself, maybe more if your local HVAC companies are crooks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I had to deal with this today, I knew something was wrong when I got home from work at 630am and the house read 78 degrees, by noon inside the house it was up to 94 degrees (one of the perks of living in florida ) , and yep a fuckin $11 45uf capacitor was more swollen than someone who ate at a Chinese buffet that used sodium and msg. Funny part. It's a rental house, it eats capacitors and external compressor fans like candy, probably 15 years old, and the owner lives in NY and demands a call authorization for that fix. What a fuckin tightwad. Over a capacitor. Luckily enough we have the cell number of the AC tech guy and it was swapped out in 5 minutes for my elderly dad on dialysis stuck in the house. Now if that cheap bastard in ny would spend 3500 on a new unit he wouldn't be paying all the tech fees every 6 months for the past 10 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top