Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2014 11:09:34 AM EDT
I have a Husqvarna 128LD and am using string but am tempted to get one of those fancy replacement heads. Anybody ditch the string and get those fancy heads with the gizmos? Can anybody recommend one?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#1]
From my experience, buy the head. Winding your own sucks!
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it does suck.......I'll wind it up and run it for a few minutes then the string will break off inside the head and I've got to take the head off and run the lines trhough the holes again.....Maybe my line sucks. IDK
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Replacement heads.

Pre cut some line and put it in your back pocket.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes it does suck.......I'll wind it up and run it for a few minutes then the string will break off inside the head and I've got to take the head off and run the lines trhough the holes again.....Maybe my line sucks. IDK
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I think that's because you aren't winding it right? Don't feel bad I can't either which is why I buy a new head.

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a Husqvarna 128LD and am using string but am tempted to get one of those fancy replacement heads. Anybody ditch the string and get those fancy heads with the gizmos? Can anybody recommend one?
View Quote

it depends on what you are whacking.  

seriously, if you weed whack along a lot of hardscape (stone or concrete walls, for example), or you use the weed whacker as a makeshift edger, then you should use a head system that can auto-feed line with a tap.  but if you are just cutting grass without danger of striking stone or concrete, then a gizmo head may work.

ps you can also get a single strand head.  it accepts a ~1 foot long piece of standard string.  you use it until it's worn, pull it out, put a new piece in.  you can even purchase the string in pre-cut lengths.  take a bundle with you and head out with the weed whacker.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I replaced mine with one of those easy windup ones.
you cut a length and slide it through till it is even on both sides then wind it up and it sucks in the string.

worked much better than trying to hand restringing all the time. and let me use my left over line as well.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#7]
If you buy a new head, get one that can accommodate thick(er) line.  I would say 0.080" line is the minimum for a lot of work, thicker is better.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Buy the head. Mine has 4 attachment points for 8 strands of cutting power. I have not changed a single one in two cuts and I live on an acre.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Replacement heads.

View Quote

I run a replacement head and the only downside is you waste more string;  there's always a chunk in the middle of each pre-cut that is too short to use.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had really good luck with this one

Amazon
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#11]
replacement head.

Then buy a spool of string that you like and cut what you need.  Might be able to use your current stuff if it is thick enough.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Suggest NOT buying a gizmo head. Too many stories of the arms breaking loose and achieving orbit. Get a good speed loading head like a Shindiawa and upgrade your line. I don't buy line at Walmart either; a big box store or a power equipment dealer. Good line really holds up better.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Buy the head. Mine has 4 attachment points for 8 strands of cutting power. I have not changed a single one in two cuts and I live on an acre.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind do you have?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:43:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Just bolt on a circular saw blade.

Buddy of mine did this, said it worked great till he hit a rock and almost lost his foot below the ankle.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Buddy of mine did this, said it worked great till he hit a rock and almost lost his foot below the ankle.
View Quote

Not such a good idea. Usually weedeaters spin a lot faster then circ saws do. The saw blades aren't made for it and I've heard they can come apart as a result.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not such a good idea. Usually weedeaters spin a lot faster then circ saws do. The saw blades aren't made for it and I've heard they can come apart as a result.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a great idea! Until he almost lost his foot that is..
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I replaced mine with one of those easy windup ones.
you cut a length and slide it through till it is even on both sides then wind it up and it sucks in the string.

worked much better than trying to hand restringing all the time. and let me use my left over line as well.
View Quote

My echo is like that. Very easy. Pull 6' off the roll, cut, slide through teh trimmer head, twist until there is about 6" on each side and go. Works great every time. Bump feed when needed.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I've always used the bump head type and just restring it when needed.  Never had a problem, except when I used a spool of cheap string that kept breaking all the time.  Threw the cheap string away, bought some good string and have never had a problem again.  

This has been over prob 5-6 weedwackers and multiple replacement heads from them wearing out from use.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Replacement heads.

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:36:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

They do make blade kits for string trimmers. I have one for my Echo. Cuts like hell. :)

I work with a guy who cut his right index finger clean off trying to cut laminate flooring with a circular saw blade chucked in an angle grinder. When it kicked back and lopped off his finger it cut the power cord too. That's the only reason it didn't kill him. They were able to reattach the finger too. I busted his balls for weeks because if he had made a simple phone call, there were a couple of guys who would have lent him a correct tool for the job.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've always used the bump head type and just restring it when needed.  Never had a problem, except when I used a spool of cheap string that kept breaking all the time.  Threw the cheap string away, bought some good string and have never had a problem again.  

This has been over prob 5-6 weedwackers and multiple replacement heads from them wearing out from use.
View Quote

This ^^^ The OEM bump-feed head that came on my Stihl commercial works great!!! It winds easily, doesn't bind, and the only time the strings breaks off inside is if I use cheap string or I let the string get too short (don't bump it often enough).

But this does bring up another question... the main problem with string trimmers is the strings wearing out. In the search for a solution to that problem we've had many people come up with blades and all sorts of fancy heads. Why can't we get more durable strings? Say maybe some 1/16" braided steel cable? What would be the down-sides to that? Flying wires?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This ^^^ The OEM bump-feed head that came on my Stihl commercial works great!!! It winds easily, doesn't bind, and the only time the strings breaks off inside is if I use cheap string or I let the string get too short (don't bump it often enough).

But this does bring up another question... the main problem with string trimmers is the strings wearing out. In the search for a solution to that problem we've had many people come up with blades and all sorts of fancy heads. Why can't we get more durable strings? Say maybe some 1/16" braided steel cable? What would be the down-sides to that? Flying wires?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flying wires would be my guess as well. Of course, natually, now I'm going to try it next time I mow! Can't be much worse than the wire strands that fly out of the wire wheel on my disc grinder, right? lol
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:29:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Tried braided stainless aircraft cable BRIEFLY in an old Ryobi trimmer I had. Literally in a few seconds use that shit had unbraided and frayed. It didn't throw wires but that was only because I stopped immediately and went back to regular plastic line. Wear ALL your protective gear if you experiment with steel cable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:05:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Make sure you use fresh string if you're having problems with it breaking, stuff gets brittle if it sits in the garage too long.

Also, thicker line is better. I like 0.080" but 0.095" is even better. Stihl KM130 FTW!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have had really good luck with this one

Amazon
View Quote

I bought one like that and love it.  Well, I'm about as excited as I can get over a string trimmer head.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:45:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may or may not have experimented with heavy coat-hanger wire in my youth. The results were not as impressive as I had hoped, and safety-consciousness got the better of me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hate winding!  Total PITA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top