Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 6:59:39 AM EDT
My 18 year old Trane heat pump was just replaced with a shiney new XL18i that I already enjoy very much (damn thing is silent compared to the old system. I had to put my hand over the vent to make sure it was actually doing stuff.). Thread was here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_139/1610348_Deciding_between_three_HVAC_set_ups.html

Anyway, we have (had?) two Nests in the house controlling the two old heat pumps and enjoyed them a bunch. Worked great. With the new system though the installers couldn't get the Nest to work. They said when they set the Nest to heat it would try to kick on the A/C. They put on a cheap Trane thermostat and I emailed Nest support. Then I read about a guy online who had a similar-ish sounding problem with a XL15i that ended up with a broken condensor.

Nest gets back to me with this:

The Trane XL18i is most likely not compatible with the Nest Learning Thermostat.

I can tell you how it would be wired if it was compatible, but I can't make any guarantees on whether or not it will work, though.

R - RC or RH (no jumper)
O - O/B
Y - Y1
G - G
B - C
Y2 - Y2
W1 - W2
X2 - depends on exactly what it is, would probably go to (* star) as emergency heat

If you want to hook it up and test it out, feel free to give our technical support line a call, we'll be glad to run through some troubleshooting with you.
View Quote

Of course, I'm not that inclined to "test it out" on a $7k system, especially when they said it is "most likely not compatible". Come on, it either works or it doesn't. It's also funny that cutting edge google owned technology can work with a 18 year old system, but not anything new.

Anyway, now I've got $500 worth of Nests to replace (stupid to have the two systems on different units).

I'm trying to find something that's easy to use, has mobile apps, helps with energy efficency, and has a humidity sensor. Our house has a humidity problem, and one of the things the Nest was supposed to do was monitor the humidity and run the A/C more if needed to keep it down (not energy efficent, but I'd rather burn energy then have my humidity up in the 70% range again).

Basically, I'd like something that will do what the Nest does (or is supposed to do) but will work with my system.

The Honeywell RTH9580 looks nice, since it appears to do that (what do I know, though?) and it seems like I can install it myself. But dunno if it will actually work with the XL18i. The Venstar T5800 got top billing on Consumer Reports, but I know fuck all about it. It's also nicely cheaper than both the Nest and the Honeywell.

Anybody have any suggestions? And anybody want to buy two Nests?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#1]
$87 for both. I'd ask nest if there is an update they can do for the trane system.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The 18 SEER Trane is a two stage system with a variable speed blower.  I would look at the Trane XL900 or the Comfort Link II paired with an equipment interface panel.  You will be able to control the auxiliary heat stages separately and you will be able to slow the blower fan down and use the air conditioning mode to dehumidify.  The Comfort Link II will also be able to lock out the electric heat stages at different temperatures.  The Comfort Link II can also be accessed from smart phones and also has the ability to link to the Nexia home security system.  The Nest is a good thermostat, but it is not optimal for your system.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the honeywell redlink prestige 2.0 thermostats at my house

It's the non wifi version of the. 9580

Redlink is a wireless system that allows the thermostats to communicate with a hub and other redlink accessories

I have a wireless outdoor thermometer/ hygrometer that displays on all 5 thermostats

The prestige also has a 5 year warranty vs 1 y

The prestige also has wired inputs at the control panel for accessories

I have sensors on the floor and wired to the condensate pump

If I have any type of failure I get a text and it displays on the thermostat

All that said , my HVAC guy said the new prestige thermostat is even better

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top