Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2014 2:48:06 PM EDT
Hey guys, I just bought my house last year and I just started hearing beeping like a smoke detector battery was dying. I replaced all of my smoke detector batteries and went on my merry way (my CO detector is one of those nifty lithium joints and it's brand new). I still heard the beep and couldn't narrow it down. I disconnected all of the smoke detectors and put them next to me and the beep was still coming from something else.

The hunt was on. I went into the basement and heard the beep loud and clear. It was coming from the sump (I'm pretty sure).

I figured the sump must have a backup battery that is dead or won't hold a charge. I popped the cover off and this is what I see:

I have no idea what I'm looking at outside of a crusty rusted pile of shit. I'm assuming a battery must be in one of those two terminals but again no idea. Should I just bite the bullet and replace?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm.  The battery backup in our house is a regular car sized deep cycle battery (actually we have two in parallel).  I wouldn't think such a small battery as would fit in there would be enough to run the pump.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If that is the case I have no idea what is beeping.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If that is the case I have no idea what is beeping.
View Quote

I'd run for it....LoL.

Can you trace any electrical lines running down to the pumps to see if the battery is located elsewhere?    The alarm on ours goes (beeps) if the battery gets low or the pump activates.  

I can't see the battery being installed in the actual sump well.  You might not even have a battery backup.  My sisters house was built with a sump pump, but no backup.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Does your house have municipal sewer or a septic system? If you have septic it could be a high water alarm or other system issue. Just a guess off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Check your inter webs or cable or phone. I have verizon and there's a battery back up for it. Just a wee one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Looking at the pic again, I think the big cylinder is your main pump and the smaller one is a battery backup pump.  I bet you have a battery located somewhere close.....
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#7]
You have tinnitus welcome to the club.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like the alarm to let you know the sump's not pumping.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Looking at the pic again, I think the big cylinder is your main pump and the smaller one is a battery backup pump.  I bet you have a battery located somewhere close.....
View Quote

They both plug directly into the wall above.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I guess you don't have a battery backup.
I'd bet that one of your floats is waterlogged and is causing an alarm (though a beep is hardly an alarm) or you actually have too much water in the crock (though it looks dry in the pic).
Move the float up and down and see what happens.
You really do want this to work.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'd bet that one of your floats is waterlogged and is causing an alarm (though a beep is hardly an alarm) or you actually have too much water in the crock (though it looks dry in the pic).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It works and I have not hear anything. I think at this point I'm going to replace it. It's original to the house (built in the late 1990s) so it's probably time
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LoL, thats a pretty shitty backup system then (if that is what it is).  

I think the backup systems at Lowes was just over $200, and was a pretty easy install.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I did some research, that's not a battery. I don't know where this beeping is coming from. I'm at my wits end.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I did some research, that's not a battery. I don't know where this beeping is coming from. I'm at my wits end.

View Quote

Did someone hide an Annoy-a-tron in your basement?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:30:45 AM EDT
[#15]
My sump has a battery powered backup high water alarm. Not the pump itself, but just a water sensor that will go off when the water level gets close to overtopping the sump. Beeps with a warning when low battery. Mine is zip tied to the outlet pipe about 3' above the sump with a small wire running down to the sensor.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:53:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the replies.

I fucking found the fucking fuck. Down in my basement the previous homeowner was nice to leave their left over paint cans and on top of a white paint can was a new smoke detector which matched perfectly. I did not see it until yesterday. The smoke detector did not make it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You have tinnitus welcome to the club.
View Quote

This.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:57:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

I fucking found the fucking fuck. Down in my basement the previous homeowner was nice to leave their left over paint cans and on top of a white paint can was a new smoke detector which matched perfectly. I did not see it until yesterday. The smoke detector did not make it.
View Quote

Haha excellent. When we moved into our new place a watch alarm went off every day at 3:15, so I only had about 10 seconds to find it, it was a mystery for about 3 months, I eventually discovered this busted ass 20 year old timex in my ac vent. Shot that thing with a 7mm mag lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Haha excellent. When we moved into our new place a watch alarm went off every day at 3:15, so I only had about 10 seconds to find it, it was a mystery for about 3 months, I eventually discovered this busted ass 20 year old timex in my ac vent. Shot that thing with a 7mm mag lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

I hope you were outside when you did!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Battery backup pumps still plug in.
They need power to charge the batteries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top