Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 7:18:01 AM EDT
Spare bedroom we used as a catch all since we moved in in Sep. Going to be a craft room for wife and daughter and double as an office. Lifted the carpet to see if there was flooring underneath. Fo'd! Its funny when you do something as easy as pulling carpet, then realize that you went to far and have to do 10 times more work in cleaning it up, removing tack strips, and the rest of the room!

Room before.

SIL had some left over paint my wife liked but it was only enough to do 2 walls. I have never used Sherman Williams before so when I went to get another gallon, the sticker shock was insane at $61 per gallon. They guy laughed at my reaction and gave me a 40% off coupon; paint FSA I am!

Painted walls, cleaned floor, made desk top. Bought the cabinets though.

Pay no attention to all the pocket holes on top of the one under the window; I was tired and built it upside down, it's fixed. Obviously need to sand and stain the top; going with dark walnut. After that, I'll join the 2 halves together.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks good.

Sherwin Williams runs sales/coupons all the time, btw.  Sign up for an account with them, if you didn't already to get email alert of upcoming sales.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd suggest that you stain a piece of scrap wood first and then decide on color. Dark Walnut is a weird stain. Sometimes it comes out looking like an English Walnut and sometimes its practically black. Depends a lot on the wood.

Arfcom is the king of the kreg pocket screw jig. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I was just unaware that they were that popular.

I'd also suggest that you run a piece of 3/4" stock for a backsplash. I built a similar desk a while back for a client and got called back to add the "backsplash". Paper clips, staples, and all manner of assorted crap was collecting in that crack.

Looks good though.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:40:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Came out pretty good. Daughter already claimed a spot! Just need to find some new chairs, not the standard office height chairs that wont brake the bank. Need 2 and a wing-chair for the corner.

good call on the "backsplash"

Pocket holes are as handy as a cordless drill!
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#4]
looks goods now you just need to mount your presses and you be all set
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Where'd you buy the cabinets?

I'd like to build a desk (standing height though) and some cabinets in my gun room, and fear the whole "real base cabinet mounting to the wall thing" because I'd have to remove the existing molding. This seems like a good compromise.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where'd you buy the cabinets?

I'd like to build a desk (standing height though) and some cabinets in my gun room, and fear the whole "real base cabinet mounting to the wall thing" because I'd have to remove the existing molding. This seems like a good compromise.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top