Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 12:58:56 PM EDT
My brother is really into "Rat Rods" and is getting further and further into the hobby.  He came from a background of having hardly held a wrench but is really enjoying this and learning alot.  He doesn't have much in the way of tools though...hardly anything at all and he can't afford very much.  He and his buddies have rented a structure for a "shop" and his buddies allow him to borrow their tools and share and such.  For gifts and holidays I like to get him the things that he needs, that he wouldn't or couldn't get for himself.  Problem is I know almost nothing about working on cars, tools needed, etc.  I don't even change the oil on my own car.

For Christmas, this is what I got him...

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-283-pc-mechanics-tool-set-with-tool/p-00935283000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

It seemed to really help because he says they are holding up well compared to the cheaper stuff he was working with.  He was telling me that the difference in working with these compared to what he had was night and day.

His birthday is coming up and I'd like to get him another kit or collection of tools to help him out but I have no idea what to get him.  All he really has of his own right now is that kit I bought him for christmas, his run-of-the-mill homeowner tools, and a batch of what he calls "Chinese crap that breaks all the time".  I'm looking to spend between $200-$500 give or take.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Get him a couple of pneumatic tools.

If he's got access to a compressor.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
makita 3/8 drive 18v lithium impact. or similar.

eta: dead blow hammer
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree, if he doesn't have a compressor, pick up a portable 30 gal vertical, oiled if possible, oiless if not.
an impact gun and air wratchet.

those 2 items alone made my life so much better when working on my own stuff.

you should be able to pick up all 3 on the budget you laid out.
plus that will let him go to pawn shops and pick up other items he might use later.

if he does have one, then HD or Lowes has some pretty nice 1/2 impact wrenches in the 100-150 range that are very nice.
a speed wrench, and maybe the wratcheting wrenches.

5 pound sledge and some cheater bars/breaker bars.

cutting torch perhaps, plasma cutter.

if he is building, some welding gear, mig welder.
english wheel? guess it depends on how skilled he is.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]

ETA - I consider the following a must for safety if he doesn't already have them - Good set of gloves, Good, comfortable eye protection he can and will wear all the time. Ear pro if he's running air tools. Face shield if he gets into using grinders and a big fire extinguisher suitable for shop use. Good quality jack stands.

A nice set of coveralls is always nice too.

Ratcheting combo wrenches aka Gear Wrench are surprisingly handy. Great for tight spots. I prefer the non-reversing models myself.
http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-8-pc-standard-flat-full-polish-ratcheting/p-00944001000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Make sure he has his most commonly used sized sockets in all available flavors - Deep, short, 6pt, 12pt, and swivel head. If most of the nuts he turns are in the 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 range, fill in the missing slots with those different sockets.
Make sure he has all the various lengths of ratchet extension bars. Being able to get just the right length extension and socket together can make a BIG difference.

Breaker bars in 3/8" and 1/2" drive if not include in that set.

1/2" drive torque wrench for wheels and suspension parts, 3/8" drive torque wrench if he's assembling any engines or transmissions.

A multimeter if he's doing any electrical work:
http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-MM200-Ranging-Multimeter/dp/B003LCITWA/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1397770084&sr=1-4&keywords=multimeter

A rolling tool cart to keep his tools on that he is using at the time:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-43-1-2inch-2-drawer-deluxe-mechanic-cart/p-00959355000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Good rechargeable LED drop light and/or good headlamp

Magnet on a steeek - http://www.sears.com/craftsman-pocket-telescopic-magnetic-pick-up-tool/p-00946948000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Picks - http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-pc-hook-and-pick-set-with/p-00941634000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

All of these items I've found very useful to have on hand. I'm sure there are many more. I wouldn't hesitate to buy these as basic, standard, must have items.

Combine these with what he already has and then buy tools as specific needs come up. Since you say he likes Rat Rods I'll assume that the large percentages of fasteners he will encounter will be Standard. Look for sets that don't include Metric tools unless he happens to have a modern daily driver he will maintain.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]
if he has access to air a 1/2 impact and 3/8 and 1/4 inch air ratchets all are great ideas and really save a lot of time.
if he doesn't have access to air most portable 30 gallon air compressors is not going to be big enough in a shop use, a 1/2 inch impact uses a lot of air and you really need to pay attention to cfm ratings at rated pressures and your usually looking at 60 gallon or larger compressors that are capable of supplying more than 10cfm at 90 psi to be able to keep up and run air tools a lot.
some quality ratchets with a flex head might be another good option.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I disagree, I have used a 30 gal compressor for 14 years. same one. I have taken apart 2 cars with it, plus sand blasting, and metal cutting using a body saw and nibbler.
it has done everything I needed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a harbor freight coupon for a 4 drawer tool cart for $99, which is a smoking deal.  I also have one for a 5 drawer for $159 I believe.  HF generally makes cheap stuff but there are a few diamonds in the rough, their red tool boxes/chests are awesome!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice fine tooth ratchet. I don't use my other craftsman ratchet after getting the fine tooth. Different extensions. I like the MAC ones with the easy on/off mechanism.

Good Plier set, pry bar, breaker bar. Vice GRips, adjustable wrench. Torque wrench. Gear wrenches are handy. Wobbly sockets. Measuring tools. Calipers and such. magnet tray, magnet stick/ mirror combo. Most of my hand tools are Craftsman Professional and made in USA. Good stuff.

I like my Milwaukee 12V 3/8 Ratchet. They make a 12v impact wrench, too. Not too powerful, but will speed things up. My 18v impact driver will rip lug nuts off of a passenger vehicle. No cord to drag around, but you may need a compressor for other tasks. Impact sockets are a must of you use air or electric tools.

Lots of good suggestions here.

A tool box is nice and secure.

Ear plugs that are easy to wear, carry, hang. Maybe a different brand than linked, these got low ratings. This style is what I keep around.

http://www.amazon.com/SAS-Safety-6102-Banded-Plugs/dp/B000M5Z6HK/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1397807814&sr=8-12&keywords=sas+ear+plug

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:10:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I disagree, I have used a 30 gal compressor for 14 years. same one. I have taken apart 2 cars with it, plus sand blasting, and metal cutting using a body saw and nibbler.
View Quote

A 30 gallon air compressor for sandblasting?  What was you sandblasting, sparkplugs.  I have a 90 gallon and can only run a sandblaster for about 15 minutes. Then must allow compressor to catch up. At work we use 2  90 gallons tied together to run a sandblaster.
a 30 gallon tank isnt good for much more than running an impact for short periods of time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:21:03 AM EDT
[#10]
lol, I don't use it for work.
I use it for my hobby car.
I have sandblasted the rear qtr panel of a 68 fury convertible, spindles for the disk brakes for the same, exhaust manifolds for that and a 5.9 magnum, and probably a few other small parts I have forgotten.

the body saw uses a lot of air, but I have cut out the floor of the same 68 fury, as well as numerous other things when using hack saw blades instead.

that marginal impact use you speak of, has allowed me to pull the whole sub frame out of that same fury, the front suspension out of a 65 coronet, plus take apart most of the front of a 2006 jetta to change the timing belt, 1997 sentra to change the timing chain and front main seal.

I think you are comparing hobby work vs job work on a compressor and your view is a bit skewed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have sandblasted the rear qtr panel of a 68 fury convertible, spindles for the disk brakes for the same, exhaust manifolds for that and a 5.9 magnum, and probably a few other small parts I have forgotten.

the body saw uses a lot of air, but I have cut out the floor of the same 68 fury, as well as numerous other things when using hack saw blades instead.

that marginal impact use you speak of, has allowed me to pull the whole sub frame out of that same fury, the front suspension out of a 65 coronet, plus take apart most of the front of a 2006 jetta to change the timing belt, 1997 sentra to change the timing chain and front main seal.

I think you are comparing hobby work vs job work on a compressor and your view is a bit skewed.
View Quote

I think you are the one with a skewed view I work on cars as a hobby and have a 60 gallon that's barely big enough. Judging from what you claim you have done with a 30 gallon compressor if you were  to use a 60 or bigger you would realize just how undersized your compressor is.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#12]
OP if your bother has an air compressor get him IR 231 1/2in drive impact you can get them from Northern tool  for around $160 bucks. He will love it for remove lug nuts, spindle nut, or any other torqued or stuck fastener.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_17802_17802

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200124424_200124424
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Skewed????I think not, you just have no real knowledge to compare with.
Sorry op I will abandoned now, this is no place to argue, but I can assure you  using a  larger air compressor is well worth your time and money.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Does he have a GOOD jack and GOOD jack stands?  
And if you go to Garagejournal.com there is a great thread on what is good at Harbor Freight Tools.  Some is great, some is crap.  They have some pretty good floor jacks, but stay away from their stands.
A good work light is always handy.
Consider a quality fire extinguisher for him too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sorry op I will abandoned now, this is no place to argue, but I can assure you  using a  larger air compressor is well worth your time and money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use to paint cars in my back yard garage with a 30 gallon compressor.  It was hard, but I did it.  I now have a 60 gallon, and it is a WORLD of difference in the torque tools have with enough CFM and pressure.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:18:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I am not arguing a bigger compressor isn't better.
I am saying a 30 gal can get the job done. and is within the op's budget to pick one up if he is so inclined.
a 60 or larger is just outside of that budget, and is not always needed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Though numbered in no certain order.
1. If he has access to an air compressor, then impact drive is what I would look to get him. If not there are plenty of nice battery powered ones.
2. Rachet wrenches, handy in tight spaces.
3. Good low profile floor jack. Best thing ever when dealing with a flat tire or lower profile car.
4. Jack stands, I don't care how good your jack is don't trust your life to a $.03 o-ring.
5. Breaker bars. Same logic as an impact when working on older cars. Things get stuck and you need that extra omph to get it unstuck.
6. A good headlamp, nothing better than having light where you are looking and still have both hands free.
7. Extra sockets, wrenches, rachets, extensions. you can never have enough of these. 6 point 12 point etc etc.
8. Creeper cart, allows you to slide under a raised car easier. Some love them some hate them. Alternative would be an adustable low profile stool on casters.
9. Pliers. Needle nose, end cutters, wire strippers, adjustable wrenches, vise grips.
10. magnetic part holder, nice to keep those bolts in one place when you are taking them off or putting them back on.
11. protective gear. Hearing, eye, face, hands, respirator. You don't have to go high dollar here at first just the basics to start. Last I checked they can't regrow eyes or ear drums.
13. Speciality tools for the car/truck he is currently working on. One advantage to older vehicles is there are not a ton of these and generally apply to a lot of models. Example pulley puller.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Though numbered in no certain order.
1. If he has access to an air compressor, then impact drive is what I would look to get him. If not there are plenty of nice battery powered ones.
2. Rachet wrenches, handy in tight spaces.
3. Good low profile floor jack. Best thing ever when dealing with a flat tire or lower profile car.
4. Jack stands, I don't care how good your jack is don't trust your life to a $.03 o-ring.
5. Breaker bars. Same logic as an impact when working on older cars. Things get stuck and you need that extra omph to get it unstuck.
6. A good headlamp, nothing better than having light where you are looking and still have both hands free.
7. Extra sockets, wrenches, rachets, extensions. you can never have enough of these. 6 point 12 point etc etc.
8. Creeper cart, allows you to slide under a raised car easier. Some love them some hate them. Alternative would be an adustable low profile stool on casters.
9. Pliers. Needle nose, end cutters, wire strippers, adjustable wrenches, vise grips.
10. magnetic part holder, nice to keep those bolts in one place when you are taking them off or putting them back on.
11. protective gear. Hearing, eye, face, hands, respirator. You don't have to go high dollar here at first just the basics to start. Last I checked they can't regrow eyes or ear drums.
13. Speciality tools for the car/truck he is currently working on. One advantage to older vehicles is there are not a ton of these and generally apply to a lot of models. Example pulley puller.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
View Quote

These things.  OMG, these things.  If he's working on cars in particular, these things!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#19]
oh, cheap video camera.

while a camera in general is nice, a cheap video camera is better.
I can't tell you how many times that has saved my ass.
I take something apart, and video tape it.
I turn it over and show how it came out and put it back in. how the connector faced and what the color of the wires were on it.

pictures can only tell you so much. if yo forgot to cover one particular angle, you really needed, you can't put it back together.
especially something months down the line.

not a "tool" per say, but actually more useful than you can imagine.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
oh, cheap video camera.

I turn it over and show how it came out and put it back in. how the connector faced and what the color of the wires were on it.

pictures can only tell you so much. if yo forgot to cover one particular angle, you really needed, you can't put it back together.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
oh, cheap video camera.

so you have never taken something apart, and forgot how to put it back together again a few months later?
heck even a few days later?
tried to remember where every fastener went?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:08:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

so you have never taken something apart, and forgot how to put it back together again a few months later?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
oh, cheap video camera.

I have to mess with a lot of electrical stuff in my line of work. I'm no electrician and never claimed to be. I take pictures of practically everything that has more than a couple wires on it. Saved me from having to call an electrician more than once.

I just use my cell phone though. Most of the newer ones have built in video cameras as well.

OP my suggestion for tools would be:

A nice set of pliers. Channel Lock are extremely nice and hard to beat for the money.
Multimeter, you don't need to spend $300 on a Fluke, Gardner Bender makes a very nice model in the $50 range.
LED drop light, always handy, LED is a must as they don't produce heat.
Some good hammers, not all are created equal. A 16 oz and 32 oz Ballpein are always handy as is a 3 pound shop hammer (mini sledge)
Nice Shop-Vac, again not all created equal. The only ones I've used that were worth a damn are the Ridgid vacs from Home Depot and the yellow Shop Vac Pro series.
Set of 1/2" drive deep well 6 point sockets and a good breaker bar.
More screwdrivers, they always get broken, bent, and abused you can never have too many spares on hand.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Building rods?  He needs a welder.  A 110 volt Lincoln MIG.  It's portable and enough to learn and get started with.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

ETA - I consider the following a must for safety if he doesn't already have them - Good set of gloves, Good, comfortable eye protection he can and will wear all the time. Ear pro if he's running air tools. Face shield if he gets into using grinders and a big fire extinguisher suitable for shop use. Good quality jack stands.

A nice set of coveralls is always nice too.

Ratcheting combo wrenches aka Gear Wrench are surprisingly handy. Great for tight spots. I prefer the non-reversing models myself.
http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-8-pc-standard-flat-full-polish-ratcheting/p-00944001000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Make sure he has his most commonly used sized sockets in all available flavors - Deep, short, 6pt, 12pt, and swivel head. If most of the nuts he turns are in the 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 range, fill in the missing slots with those different sockets.
Make sure he has all the various lengths of ratchet extension bars. Being able to get just the right length extension and socket together can make a BIG difference.

Breaker bars in 3/8" and 1/2" drive if not include in that set.

1/2" drive torque wrench for wheels and suspension parts, 3/8" drive torque wrench if he's assembling any engines or transmissions.

A multimeter if he's doing any electrical work:
http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-MM200-Ranging-Multimeter/dp/B003LCITWA/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1397770084&sr=1-4&keywords=multimeter

A rolling tool cart to keep his tools on that he is using at the time:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-43-1-2inch-2-drawer-deluxe-mechanic-cart/p-00959355000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Good rechargeable LED drop light and/or good headlamp

Magnet on a steeek - http://www.sears.com/craftsman-pocket-telescopic-magnetic-pick-up-tool/p-00946948000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Picks - http://www.sears.com/craftsman-4-pc-hook-and-pick-set-with/p-00941634000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

All of these items I've found very useful to have on hand. I'm sure there are many more. I wouldn't hesitate to buy these as basic, standard, must have items.

Combine these with what he already has and then buy tools as specific needs come up. Since you say he likes Rat Rods I'll assume that the large percentages of fasteners he will encounter will be Standard. Look for sets that don't include Metric tools unless he happens to have a modern daily driver he will maintain.
View Quote

Lots of good suggestions.

I have that multimeter, and for around the house it works well.  I have an almost identical Craftsman cart, again, great piece of kit and very handy.  Head lamps are a huge help, and good safety glasses, gloves, etc are a must.

If he is working on rat rods, he needs a Metabo.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And if you go to Garagejournal.com there is a great thread on what is good at Harbor Freight Tools.  Some is great, some is crap.  They have some pretty good floor jacks, but stay away from their stands.
View Quote

This exactly. Good 5+ ton floor jack and four 6+ ton stands are a godsend for working on cars safely.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This exactly. Good 5+ ton floor jack and four 6+ ton stands are a godsend for working on cars safely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't need no freaking jack stands, have concrete blocks and scrap 2x4s.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:48:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
oh, cheap video camera.

View Quote

Most digital cameras can also do video.  I haven't done video of my projects but have taken pictures during the disassembly.  It can be useful sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:17:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A 30 gallon air compressor for sandblasting?  What was you sandblasting, sparkplugs.  I have a 90 gallon and can only run a sandblaster for about 15 minutes. Then must allow compressor to catch up. At work we use 2  90 gallons tied together to run a sandblaster.
a 30 gallon tank isnt good for much more than running an impact for short periods of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the type of sandblaster.  The small ones can run off a 30 gallon for short periods with no problem.  An industrial sandblaster...a 30 gallon could never keep up even for short bursts.  

I used to have a 20 gallon compressor and I did everything a homeowner would ever need to.  I have since upgraded to a 60 gallon and I love it.  However, a 20-30 gallon compressor is an ideal size for a homeowner.  It won't do everything but it'll do everything a homeowner realistically needs.  Also, since many people rent, they usually move every few years.  It's a lot easier to more a 20-30 gallon compressor vs a 60-80 gallon one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks!

You guys rock!  Thank you so much!  And thanks Reubjames for even including all those links.  Thats awesome.  Guess we have alot of guys that know their car stuff here on arfcom.

Those are some really great ideas and that helps alot.

Some of that stuff some of you mentioned left me scratching my head going "A What?!?"...lol.  Might as well have been talking about Marvin the Martian's elunium pu36 explosive space modulator

My brother, The person I'm shopping for, "probably" has access to things that guys could easily share in a shop, or that might be provided by a friend like car jacks and such.  However when it comes to just personal tools and items that might not be shared, he has very very little.  Its also difficult because I've never seen the shop with my own eyes as he and his wife moved down to Oklahoma and I'm up here in Illinois.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#31]
You're welcome. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top