Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 9:03:21 AM EDT
We have a large ranch house with a walk out basement.  We bought the house in foreclosure and the basement, although finished ( perimeter walls, drop ceiling, commercial carpet) is basically a large ~3000 sq/ft room.
I'm in the planning stages of framing it out for (2) bedrooms, gym, bathroom and billiard/bar/entertainment room.
I'm focusing on the 2 bedrooms and gym on the one end for now as we're preparing for the arrival of our 2nd child, and we'll be having a relative from Italy come help us - hence the reason I need to start on the bedrooms first so she has a place to stay.
I'm a bit perplexed about temperature control.  We have 2 furnaces on opposite ends of the house.  Both zones feed both the upstairs and down stairs off the plenum.  
The basement is usually ~10* cooler than upstairs, and I understand why.  
What I'm needing to know is what I should do to heat the basement more consistently/efficiently and closer to the temps we maintain upstairs?  Obviously in the summer, the basement is perfect.  In the winter, it's a bit nippy.  
I was figuring I'd run ducts off the plenum to each room as well as adding an individual electric baseboard or in-wall heater to each room to control heat.  I'm concerned though that the heat generated by the electric heaters will be minimized/eliminated by the returns at the furnace.
Also, not sure if the slab is insulated, but I've read about people insulating the slab with 2" XPS foam boards, and then the sub floor framed ( I saw 2x4's laid flat and the XPS boards laid between the "joists") and the subsequent flooring installed above.
Well, what do you guys think?  Thanks for any advice.

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You can also use infrared"spot" heaters if the typical electric heaters aren't effective enough at boosting the HVAC heating
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:48:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can also use infrared"spot" heaters if the typical electric heaters aren't effective enough at boosting the HVAC heating
View Quote
So would you support my idea of installing supplemental electric heat in addition to the forced air from the furnace in each room?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#3]
What do you think about using a mini-split to condition the bedrooms and bath because they'll have doors to isolate those spaces?  The furnaces could still be used to condition the remaining space.  If your bath will have a tile floor you could use an electric heat mat beneath the tile which could be nice.

I think you make a good point about the basement return air pulling heat from the bedrooms and bath.  If you do decide to use the existing forced air to heat those spaces I would undercut the doors rather than having a high air return grill.  That way you'll be pulling the cool air from floor level back to the furnace if those doors remain closed.

Is the stairwell to the first floor open?  In what state do you reside?  Do you have egress from the bedrooms that will satisfy the building code?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What do you think about using a mini-split to condition the bedrooms and bath because they'll have doors to isolate those spaces? I'm inclined to tap into the plenum as the 2 systems are sufficient for the whole house.  I might run 20A circuit in the wall for the future if I feel the need to add either a electric baseboard or in wall heather.  The furnaces could still be used to condition the remaining space.  If your bath will have a tile floor you could use an electric heat mat beneath the tile which could be nice.

I think you make a good point about the basement return air pulling heat from the bedrooms and bath.  If you do decide to use the existing forced air to heat those spaces I would undercut the doors rather than having a high air return grill.  That's what I was leaning towards That way you'll be pulling the cool air from floor level back to the furnace if those doors remain closed.

Is the stairwell to the first floor open? Yes In what state do you reside? Western Colorado - the climate is pretty good.   Do you have egress from the bedrooms that will satisfy the building code?  Yes - Windows at ground level facing Nort-West

View Quote

Answers in RED

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've found that basements are often cold because they are damper than above. Run one or more dehumidifiers and some fans on timers to move the air around and see if things improve. While it's nice in the summer, it shouldn't be that cool.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:22:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've found that basements are often cold because they are damper than above. Run one or more dehumidifiers and some fans on timers to move the air around and see if things improve. While it's nice in the summer, it shouldn't be that cool.
View Quote
Not dampness.  I live in one of the driest parts of the country.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#7]
my folks have supplemental electric baseboard heat in their basement here in CO.  It works great but the electric bills are whoppers.

pretty sure thermal break/ insulation is required on basement walls only to meet code.  ( not sure if your pulling a permit or not).   New houses generally have a thick blanket looking insulation with a plastic vapor barrier on it.  If you don't have that you glue 1/2 inch foam board to the wall then frame a wall out in front of it and insulate between the studs to get the required r value.

Also be sure to float all walls with at least an 1 1/2 inches.

2" insulation is a lot for a floor.   Plus it would mess with your stairs rise and they would fail inspection (if going the permit route)

an easy thermal break for a floor would be something like a dri core product.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 3:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're getting such a wide swing in temp, I bet it's damper. Being in a drier part of the country has nothing to do with it. If the basement is cooler than above and there is moisture in the air, it will move down. Doesn't mean you're at the point of condensation but get a hygrometer and see what is going on. A dehumidifier and fan is pretty cheap compared to some other fixes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top