Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2014 3:54:28 PM EDT
If you want to skip straight to the issue/problem skip to paragraph two.....We had an insane winter in Indiana with WAY colder temps and WAY more snow.... I also had some other issues possibly related....  First of all... I have the lighted water return jet that comes out in the winter and I have a rubber plug that fills the hole so the water don't have to be drained far.  Due to all the freezing (I'm guessing) the plug worked out so water dumped into the (low, leveled) ground around the pool.  Also had tons of snow that melted and went to the low ground, meaning lots of water that refroze under the pool.  ALSO the winter cover got holes and started sinking/freezing and pulling on the walls.  The combination leading to what I have described below...

One (or a combination of) the above items caused roughly half of the upright posts and top caps to be raised above the wall when the cover was removed.  Either freezing water/earth lifted them or the sagging cover pulled them, but the posts were lifted up out of their "sockets" that are on each patio block.  The earth and lavarock make them around 6" deep.... I've dug them out and got them back down enough to get the caps back over the walls and stuff.  Everything seems secure, but looking at each post I can see some are 1/8" or so from being totally seated in the socket.  Is this ok/normal or should I spend the time to keep taking them all out and back in perfect?   I want it right, but it's a real pain messing down in the mud/water/sand over and over testing each one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:23:07 PM EDT
[#1]
AGP owner here.

The posts are nothing more than a metal support for the top rail pieces to screw to. They carry no real load related to the water. As long as your wall is level, and there are no gaps at the bottom edge against the ground, you're OK. The weight and pressure of the water is spread across the wall itself and straight down into the ground. When the wall isn't level, or there are gaps at the ground from erosion or weather, you need to be concerned. There also needs to be a smooth or angled transition from the pool floor to the wall for the liner to spread the force of the water evenly to both wall and floor. Leaks and liner tears can occur when there is a break or erosion of this transition. Check that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top