Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2014 3:35:58 AM EDT
I need to do something with an outdoor concrete slab patio.  I went to Home Depot yesterday looking at my options.  I was leaning toward stone pavers but noticed the rubber pavers.  They look pretty good and would be a breeze to instal.  It is pretty small, square, about 28 sq ft and flat with concrete in good condition so there won't be any prep work or hard cuts.  This slab is an eyesore.  I built a deck around it but should have just covered it up with the deck.

Has anyone used them before?  Im looking for info about how they stand up over time?  Do they fade? Do they compress if I have my grill on them?  Do they get shitty if they get wet and dirty?

Here is what I am talking about for those who may not know:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Envirotile-18-in-x-18-in-Gray-Rubber-Cobblestone-Paver-MT5000695/202817011?N=5yc1vZbx4b
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 3:41:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need to do something with an outdoor concrete slab patio.  I went to Home Depot yesterday looking at my options.  I was leaning toward stone pavers but noticed the rubber pavers.  They look pretty good and would be a breeze to instal.  It is pretty small, square, about 28 sq ft and flat with concrete in good condition so there won't be any prep work or hard cuts.  This slab is an eyesore.  I built a deck around it but should have just covered it up with the deck.

Has anyone used them before?  Im looking for info about how they stand up over time?  Do they fade? Do they compress if I have my grill on them?  Do they get shitty if they get wet and dirty?

Here is what I am talking about for those who may not know:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Envirotile-18-in-x-18-in-Gray-Rubber-Cobblestone-Paver-MT5000695/202817011?N=5yc1vZbx4b
View Quote

interesting.    Is this a warm climate thing?   I've never seen them in the Midwest.   I'd imagine a harsh winter would challenge how those things connect.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Rubber when properly compounded will begin to degrade pretty rapidly at about 5 years due to oxidization.

I would expect that reclaimed/recycled products devoid of compounding to prevent/slow oxidization would probably look pretty shitty after a few years in the sun.

I think this is one of those products designed to be used when selling a home, but I could be all wrong.

Personally I would use stone or concrete pavers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
If the concrete is still in good shape, see if someone in your area foes concrete stamping and staining.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It's pretty easy to stain a slab, look it up on YouTube. My friend did the interior of his house a stained slab, looks great.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I read your post and thought this would work well under my grill.  Then I read the reviews:

"Utter garbage. None of them line up, the clips break easily, they're OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive if you have to cover a large area and they are a NIGHTMARE to clean! And even then, they're still filthy. I walked across them with a bit of dirt on my shoes and I CANNOT get the footprints to come off, even with a power washer! Awful, terrible, horrible I could go on all day. DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT!"
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read your post and thought this would work well under my grill.  Then I read the reviews:

"Utter garbage. None of them line up, the clips break easily, they're OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive if you have to cover a large area and they are a NIGHTMARE to clean! And even then, they're still filthy. I walked across them with a bit of dirt on my shoes and I CANNOT get the footprints to come off, even with a power washer! Awful, terrible, horrible I could go on all day. DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT!"
View Quote

Yeah, I saw that too.  

Since the area I would cover is rather small. I figured I would go to the store and lay out a pattern similar in size on the ground and pick the tiles that fit the best.  I didn't examine them too closely but when I looked at them they were all in a pile and none of them were too grossly mis-sized
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Imagine the molds, mildew and fungi which will colonize the underside of that rubber.  You will want to get rid of them but will have to deal with what they leave behind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top