Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Looking good. How deep is the motor home side of the garage?
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

Looks like you're using steel for the opening of the taller shop? What are the openings on the side of the shorter structure?

I wonder how much the snow has slowed progress. If it was being built here (as if you could find the land and get the permits ) you'd be done in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looking good. How deep is the motor home side of the garage?
View Quote

18' x 40'

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 5:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Nice!

Looks like you're using steel for the opening of the taller shop? What are the openings on the side of the shorter structure?

I wonder how much the snow has slowed progress. If it was being built here (as if you could find the land and get the permits ) you'd be done in a few weeks.
View Quote

Actually we had great weather in January and I'm incredibly happy with the progress. We didn't get anything done this week because it was bitterly cold and we are awaiting an inspection on the frame and roof from the city. I'd say another 3 weeks and it'll be fully complete with some luck.

We are using steel for the large opening because engineering told us we had to. The small opening is just wood frame.

Link Posted: 2/9/2014 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Waiting to the it completed.

Are you leaving the floor bare concrete or coating it or using those plastic tiles?

Wish I could build a shop where I am.
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 6:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Waiting to the it completed.

Are you leaving the floor bare concrete or coating it or using those plastic tiles?

Wish I could build a shop where I am.
View Quote

I think I'm going to epoxy it, not sure yet. Maybe nothing. There will be a lot of welding/cutting/grinding going on in this shop- wondering how an epoxy coated floor would hold up.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you finish this puppy?
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Did you finish this puppy?
View Quote

Getting close! Siding is done, brick out front in place. We had a bit of a set back- the lift I ordered showed up in a crate that looked like it took a few tumbles down the road.... so we declined delivery. Can't pour concrete with that lift. Want to be exactly spot on for our pour there so it looks nice and neat.

I'll try to grab some photos tomorrow. It's all wired up. I bought an 80 gallon compressor and we are going to enclose a small corner of the big bay, about 8' off the ground and sound proof it as much as possible so I don't have to hear that thing run. Should be pretty slick.

Can't wait to lay some welds down! I'm going to fabricate up my work benches and space from scratch. Trying to think of some pretty trick ideas to work into my design. Maybe bend some tubing for the top rail then lay bead on 1/4" steel for the work top. Couple swing arms for vices and cutting saws or something. Possibilities are endless!

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, looking nice! Awaiting more updates and pics.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:41:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice build man!

You putting a lift in there?

I'll be hanging 'rock in my shop today.  Then I gotta run some PEX for my sink and NG line for my radiant tube.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Very cool looking shop!

Quoted:
Nice build man!

I'll be hanging 'rock in my shop today.  Then I gotta run some PEX for my sink and NG line for my radiant tube.
View Quote

I think he said he is parking his RV in there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Very cool looking shop!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Very cool looking shop!

Quoted:

Nice build man!

No RV here. I am putting a 7K lift in. I wanted it big enough for someone with an RV to park it in there. Hopefully that will appeal to some buyers down the road.

Thanks for the compliments all!
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Here is the platform we ended up building for the compressor. They are going to insulate and put an insulated door on it to keep it quiet. Vented to the outside, or inside. Haven't decided which yet.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool.  Did you run airlines in the walls?
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 12:20:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not yet, but we screwed those panels into the wall instead of nailing them. I am not sure I want the air lines behind the walls yet, however we will run the discharge to the outside so I never have to hear that painful noise again.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not yet, but we screwed those panels into the wall instead of nailing them. I am not sure I want the air lines behind the walls yet, however we will run the discharge to the outside so I never have to hear that painful noise again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice.  I'm running the RapidAir Maxline setup in my walls.

Link Posted: 4/3/2014 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Planning to run RapidAir as well- however I was wanting the majority of the system on the outside of the walls for ease of service.

Those RapidAir systems are pretty cool! Looking forward to that install.

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:12:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/10/2014 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Planning to run RapidAir as well- however I was wanting the majority of the system on the outside of the walls for ease of service.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did I not know of this RapidAir system? Great now I need to add this to the list of improvements to the garage.

OP thanks for the updates on this I love following builds like this. Keep them coming, especially waiting to see the lift installed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How did I not know of this RapidAir system? Great now I need to add this to the list of improvements to the garage.

OP thanks for the updates on this I love following builds like this. Keep them coming, especially waiting to see the lift installed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're not on garagejournal, you need to be.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:21:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been warned about it. I don't think my budget could take the hit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:26:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I've been warned about it. I don't think my budget could take the hit.
View Quote
Yep.  Makes guys' stuff on here seem small time.  Well, they are when you look at garages that are a few $mil with 4+ super cars parked inside.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Don't go to garage journal.

EVAR.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Concrete poured..... looks great!

Link Posted: 4/29/2014 10:36:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Why chipboard? Isn't it more expensive than sheetrock? Are you going to paint it or coat it with something?
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I chose particle board because we screwed the sheets into the studs rather than nailing them, so if I want to get access to run electrical, make changes, or whatever it is done very simply. Also, I can nail or screw anything to the walls quite easily and know it is going to stay.

I will not be painting it.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#28]
MY LIFT IS UP AND RUNNING!!!

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Looking good OP. If you were to spray the OSB white you'd certainly have a brighter shop. For a minimal investment it would be worth it IMO, but that's me. I agree with your reasons for using OSB over drywall.

Thread needs more wife pics.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Looking good OP. If you were to spray the OSB white you'd certainly have a brighter shop. For a minimal investment it would be worth it IMO, but that's me. I agree with your reasons for using OSB over drywall.

Thread needs more wife pics.
View Quote

Hahaha thanks..... she's not my wife though. Girlfriend.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:57:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Whitewash?

Seriously, I would look into it. I've seen more than enough OSB garage interiors weather the years. No thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Pretty much done

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:31:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks really good OP.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 8:53:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice.

I absolutely love it. I would throw paint on the walls........personal preference.  Hell.....I would throw drywall up ......then paint it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:14:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s.photobucket.com/user/mtechgunman/media/8E177BBA-640D-49A8-AE7F-7CA241F7DE90_zps9fayuqdd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/mtechgunman/8E177BBA-640D-49A8-AE7F-7CA241F7DE90_zps9fayuqdd.jpg</a>

View Quote

She carries her 3.5 tons well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks fellas.

I am not going to paint. I labored over my decision to just to go with OSB over a different siding- steel (still can do), drywall, etc. Quite honestly, I like it without paint.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 5:34:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

<a href="http://s.photobucket.com/user/mtechgunman/media/8E177BBA-640D-49A8-AE7F-7CA241F7DE90_zps9fayuqdd.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/mtechgunman/8E177BBA-640D-49A8-AE7F-7CA241F7DE90_zps9fayuqdd.jpg</a>

I'll let her know
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Looks good op I to went with osb wall and for the same reasons. I did paint it's something you can do later if you change your mind
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice shop, and girlfriend. I'm very jealous, I hate you now
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Nice shop, and girlfriend. I'm very jealous, I hate you now
View Quote

Yup. Well done.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top