That lower grill guard looks good
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
DIY around the house . but nothing house related

Made a lower grille for the truck out of old busted grille
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/rmwRuP" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7623/16641268987_c99799b662_b.jpg</a>DSC_2515 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/qJ4SyP" target="_blank">https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8601/16228610703_dbd53d2a68_b.jpg</a>DSC_2514 by jamiehstanley, on Flickr

That lower grill guard looks good

Thank ya .. I may try to cut the center vertical  supports out since they are off center and driving me crazy.

ETA since its a new page pics required
Bored build

Ski wine rack

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 2:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Replaced a bad chain light switch on a ceiling fan when the switch wouldn't turn the lights on anymore, 3$ and five minutes later good as new.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Plumbed air and a switched electrical circuit to the new-to-me reelcraft hose reel in my garage.

ETA - Also caulked the master shower.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:18:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my window put in the front of my house. Sum bitch was a heavy mofo. Looks damn good though! Tomorrow I will get the outside trimmed out and hopefully the inside. For now the Zip tape is holding the rain out. I'll post a picture here in a little while, phone is on the charger.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I made a rolling base for the drill press.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Replaced my 65 year old galvanized steel water pipes with pex, Took more time than I thought but my water flows like Niagara Falls compared to the old pipes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Resurrecting this one.  

Replaced a 4'x16' strip of grass with 1000lbs of rocks, and planted 4 plants.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:14:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Replaced the kitchen light fixture, built and installed a cedar raised planter bed, dug out a flower bed in preparation to replant, caulked around a few doors, and a few other things. Been a busy couple of days!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:52:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Closed up the first half of the walls in my shop.  Beadboard plywood over drywall and insulation with some 1x trim.
I have all of the electric boxes running at just over 48" around the perimeter.
The boxes are trimmed by a 1x6 board running horizontally, with bead board above and below.
1x4 trim as a "baseboard" and eventually a soffit around the ceiling intersection for running air piping, trimmed with another 1x6.
I will also add French cleats in several rows for cabinets, shelves and other tool storage so it's reconfigurable/modifiable.
I screwed on all of the drywall, bead board and trim so if I have to get into the wall I can take it down in a specific area.

Also built a 4' 6x8 lam beam/header I'll need when I cut into my laundry room wall and cut one of the 2x6 studs away for the new dryer vent system (so I can push the dryer back against the wall).
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Just tried replacing the static shower head with a handheld one.  The bracket I bought won't angle the new handheld shower head down far enough.  Looks like I'll be holding the shower head until Wednesday, when Amazon delivers a different bracket.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Climbed up into the attic through a tiny little hatch and ran some 14/2 for a new ceiling fan. The worst part was drilling the top plate and fishing to the switch box. That and duck walking across the trusses.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Cut down a tree, trimmed another waaaaay back, cut back overgrown holly bushes from the previous owner and dug out some overgrown plants. Today I get to try and pull some stumps. Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Patched drywall where the kid accidently pulled down the towel bar.  Repainted her bathroom, and hung a new light fixture as well.

Yesterday I repaired the outside porch light, mowed the grass and applied stuff to treat the yard for grubs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:11:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Replaced an exterior door that had rotted away from the bottom. I put in a full light door with the internal blinds. I now know what it takes to build a ship in a bottle

Naturally there was rot on the floor that had to be addressed but nothing like the front door had. I'll hang the new storm door tomorrow.

Just a heads up, if you have to hang a door, I can't recommend these enough!

EZ Door Hangers

I've used them twice now and both times the door was plumb and square without shimming and on first try.

Link Posted: 4/24/2015 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Installed a storm door and replaced some siding. Naturally the siding colors don't quite match. Hopefully a few years of sunlight will fix that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Repaired all the drywall screw pops through out the house. Not fun, but looks a lot better
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:29:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll share. Last yr we bought a foreclosure which will be an ongoing project for some time. One bite at a time we're getting thru it. Latest project was repainting one of the bedrooms which was painted red with black & white stripes. It also had a built in shelf of some sort on two walls up about 18" from the ceiling which I took out. Turns out the bedroom had been painted 3 times which left hard lines everywhere.
Took a ton of sanding, filler, re-texture some areas, two coats of primer, but I'm finally ready for color.

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />
" />
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#18]
We laid more sod strips along the yard we've spent the last 3 weekends working on. It might be finally done.

And we started cleaning and trouble-shooting this 1964 Coke machine.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 1:59:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I cleaned out my gutters. Two sliced open fingers and 3 hours later and they are clean.

I hate Maple trees
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:27:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Now what do I do?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I mowed the yard swamp. I attempted to edge it, got covered in muck after doing the driveway, and said F*** it and quit. The runners can just grow on the sidewalk until it dries out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 6:55:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Replaced the torsion springs on my automatic garage door after one of them snapped.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#23]
I did some more painting this past week. Got half the living room ceiling painted before I ran out of paint. I think 2-3 more gallons should get me all of the ceilings painted. Love that BM Ultraspec paint, goes on so easy.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Three sheets of drywall up and mudded with Easysand45 on a bunch of joints.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Installed chain link fence around part of my backyard.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#26]
We continued the slow retrofitting of the workbench so that it can have drawers. It's hard to see much progress when we work on it for less than 2 hours...

The coke machine is still at the body shop. I need to remember to call them tomorrow and get an eta.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#27]
We finished the drawers this weekend, and reorganized the garage. (The bench on the right originally looked just like the one on the left.)

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Installed this today.  I didn't use the molly bolts included and instead only used the long screws after locating the studs with a finder.  I'm in LOVE!!

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Painted the walls and tiled the floor in my bathroom yesterday, time to grout it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:07:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Upper and lower ball joints, outer tie rods, sway bar links and a wheel bearing on the wife's Trailblazer
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Changed out the Condenser Fan Motor in the A/C. House is cooling off as I write this.

Got up to 89° in the house today.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I needed a portable shooting bench, so I found some plans and put it together.

Glued two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood together.  I have zero woodworking clamps.

Laying out the leg mounts

Welded

Mounted.  Grade 8 hardware is overkill, but I have a lot of it.

Test fit legs

Completed.  Second coat of polyurethane is drying.
Link Posted: 7/12/2015 7:13:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Second coat on 320 sq ft of drywall.
48 feet of inside corner (ceiling and one vertical corner).

Reminds me why I hate finishing drywall.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Finally done with a bathroom project - new vanity, sink, faucet, countertop, mirror, light.  

Vanity & mirror frame - reclaimed barnwood
Countertop - polished/waxed concrete (diy precast)
Light fixture - black iron pipe, antique braided wire, Edison lamps

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 7:59:52 AM EDT
[#38]
That bathroom turned out great.

I worked on clearing a clogged hvac condensate drain in my attic. I think I got it. Today I'll work on painting and laying hardwood.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Hung a new bedroom door. Never done one before. It was quite the frustrating experience. The floor in that area is not level at all and silly me didn't expect that. I got it all squared up and put into place only to have the door fall down, take out a pedestal fan which cause a huge crack in the door. Went back and bough the exact same door and learned from my mistakes and used my success from the first go around and had the door hung and square within an hour. Still could use some minor tweaking but I'm happy with it. I used the quick door hangar product from Home Depot and it was as easy as they said. If anyone decided to go that route, I suggest buying two bags for one door. The difference between 3 brackets per side and 4 brackets was huge plus you can manage the reveal around the door a lot easier. I would have used the remaining two brackets but they got twisted up in the first install.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Found the failed section of very old NM in dad's house (old enough to be two wire with no ground).
He only lost one outlet for now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Replaced both upper ball joints on sons blazer.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Replaced a garbage disposal today - old one decided to start leaking.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Going to be a total of 500 sf or so. Nearly done. Next up will be new baseboards and trim around the front and back doors.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Installed thermostat and electrical outlet for garage heater
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Discovered that the water leaking out on the kitchen floor is due to a cracked drip pan under the fridge.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Bolted a flagpole bracket on the front of the house.  Old Glory now flying proudly.  3x5 nylon, made in USA.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Got new windows installed last week.  Old windows had the alarm sensors embedded in the frame.  New windows couldn't be drilled through in that position w/o voiding their warranty, so the installers pulled the sensor and about 4" of wire in and left them on the windowsill.

Ordered up some replacement magnetic red switch sensors from Amazon, and installed them yesterday.  Was stupid easy to do, but damn if I didn't feel proud for doing it myself rather than calling the alarm co.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Buddy called, said he was stumped trying to replace a shower faucet cartridge. Long story short, he broke the valve getting the cartridge out. I helped him replace it. We broke another line somewhere in the floor. His living room had a temporary water feature I told him we could fix it but he's calling a plumber in the am
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#49]
I hung fiber-cement siding by myself with a pair of PacTool Gecko Siding Gauges.  I seriously wish I had known about these years ago when I built my shop, instead of yelling at my teenage kid, or last fall siding part of the house and yelling at both kids.

These things rock!  They don't wander off, take breaks, talk, or let the siding shift out of level right before I nail it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I wrote a check and watched someone to put in new interior and exterior parts to replace my AC. Does  that count as DIY?

If not, I finished assembling the lifted floor for the shower in the basement bathroom - needs to be lifted so it can flow downhill into the tank for the upflush toilet that will be installed.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top