BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buddy called, said he was stumped trying to replace a shower faucet cartridge. Long story short, he broke the valve getting the cartridge out. I helped him replace it. We broke another line somewhere in the floor. His living room had a temporary water feature I told him we could fix it but he's calling a plumber in the am
View Quote

Found out that one of the shark bite fittings didn't have a solid connection due to sloppy soldering by the original builder's plumber. He let solder run about 3 feet down the back of the pipe. Given that it was behind a stud we had no way to visualize it and there wasn't even enough room to get our hands on it to feel it out. Pretty shitty situation. Luckily the plumber that fixed it today only hit him for about $100 to solder in a new elbow.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Spent another 3.5 hours after work hanging siding with my PacTool Gecko's.  I swear I wish I could travel back in time and use them when I sided my shop and spent hours yelling at my moron teenager, who was a gym rat and could bench over 350 and squat 500+ during his football days, but couldn't carry a sheet of plywood and had issues holding one end of a 12' hardieplank board against the sheathing so I could nail it.  God what a time suck that was.

The course right at the windows is where I stopped last night.  Everything above that I did in 3 hours today.  By. My. Fucking. Self.  It was glorious.

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Spent another 3.5 hours after work hanging siding with my PacTool Gecko's.
View Quote

I had no idea such a tool existed.  I now am looking for stuff to put siding on so I can justify buying those.

Nice work on the siding.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
YouTube taught me how to cope baseboards today. I won't show you my first two efforts, but here's number three

Let's just say it's a good thing they make caulk for the first two! I have the floors finished and got about 80% of the baseboards painted and cut. I'm holding off nailing until I get them all cut in case I need to do any adjusting.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#5]
15 and 15' 11" foot baseboards sections.

The 15' 11" is square to square. Corner to door casing.
The 15 needed a cope end. Corner to the longer piece.

I have been pre painting it for the last few days.
One coat of primer front & back.
Two coats of gloss acrylic on the front, one on the back.

S-W gloss acrylic with about 10% Floetrol works just like the old oil based stuff did.
Paint, lightly sand after it completely sets up, paint again.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I poured concrete and I hurt all over.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 10:34:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Does car repair count?  I replaced two front strut mounts and bearings in a 2001 Highlander.  She smooth and quite now.......but still an old hooker.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Drain valve was leaking on my water heater. It snapped off when I tried to remove it. Used a hacksaw to score it then snapped it out with a screwdriver. Screwed in the new one. Voila, no more leaks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 10:58:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Replaced the traction cable on the mower and then took the tank off which was leaking.
Melted the tank with a propane torch and pressed the molten plastic over the crack.  good as new

mower repair...does this count?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Replaced the traction cable on the mower and then took the tank off which was leaking.
Melted the tank with a propane torch and pressed the molten plastic over the crack.  good as new

mower repair...does this count?
View Quote

I'll allow it! Good solution man, I wouldn't have thought of that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I cleaned the carpets
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Going to attempt to change a garage door opener today.

I'm very handy, but have  never done one before.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Pulled the last for multiwire cables (12-3) into the sub-panel.

Added the cable clamps.
The top of the box is getting crowded so I will have to tighten the clamps on the cable.
Then lift them out slightly for final clamping.
Drop them back in and tighten the ring nuts.
By leaving a few inches of cable jacket on the conductors it makes it easier to organize and dress the individual conductors.

Leave neutral and ground long enough to land them on bars near the breaker they are fed from.
A short length of jacket keeps the wire ends under control.

Being neat and tidy makes further work in the panel a lot easier in the future.

It used to be called 'workmanship' but seems missing from anything but some commercial work (and many times even that is a mess).
As a PE a get to inspect and seal off jobs.

It better look neat or I am not going to pass you.
My license is on the line also.

Page / 11
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top