Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 4:21:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah that's good stuff, I live in a condo, I have the small sjoberg hobby bench. I had to reinforce the base to prevent racking, and I don't really like the vises much. Plus I want something I can break down when I'm not using it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2017 11:46:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's another GJ bench thread.

Pretty cool ideas there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Just moved into a new townhouse and starting to set up my garage. Got this awesome Bench Solutions 4' work bench that folds down when not in use. Also using Wall Control peg board for all the tools. You can use any type of peg board hooks/mounts to hold your tools. Next weekend I'm having the floor epoxied.

Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Bump
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Lot of great info in here. Gonna be building a general duty workbench and reloading bench here shortly, y'all've added a lot of things to consider!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad is into wood working, so I had him help me with a simple workbench since he has a table saw, etc.  We cut all of the pieces at his house, made the drawers, drawer box, and lower shelf, then took it to my house for assembly

I started with the plans from here:

Simple Workbench Plans

and modified to fit my limited space.  I also opted for a butcher's block top instead of plywood.

Link Posted: 12/24/2018 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Not many steel workbenches on here.

Bump for some help. Need something a large vice would bolt up to easily.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 1:15:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: Not many steel workbenches on here. Bump for some help. Need something a large vice would bolt up to easily.
View Quote
Are you a member at Garage Journal?  There's a nearly 200 page workbench thread here.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I am wanting to make a few work benches. One would be a reloading bench and another would be general purpose with a vise.

I have about 20 sheets of 3/4” plywood - hardwood - sourced for free. I do not have access to 2x4s nor can I readily purchase dimensional lumber(not in US)

Question:  Should I rip down the plywood into 3.5” strips and glue/screw it together to make the frame members of the bench.  Basically sandwich two pieces of 3/4” together to make 2x4s.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted: I am wanting to make a few work benches. One would be a reloading bench and another would be general purpose with a vise. I have about 20 sheets of 3/4” plywood - hardwood - sourced for free. I do not have access to 2x4s nor can I readily purchase dimensional lumber(not in US)

Question:  Should I rip down the plywood into 3.5” strips and glue/screw it together to make the frame members of the bench.  Basically sandwich two pieces of 3/4” together to make 2x4s.
View Quote
I think that would be fine.  As long as you have good glue coverage on the strips and use a straight edge to ensure everything remains the same width, or a table saw.

20 sheets of material could build several benches.

If I were using plywood only, I'd make the strips 3 5/8" in case there was any movement when clamped so that there'd be a little material to remove if needed once glued.  If you had a table-saw to bevel with, you could cut the hardwood on a 45° to make the legs look solid.

A double-layer top at 1 1/2" and a 3 1/2" edge would look pretty awesome if there was a 5" border.  It would look great not seeing any laminated edges.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not use the plywood to make cabinets? They would be just as strong as 2x construction.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Ended up finding 8 - 5ft - 2x6s to frame with. Hopefully can scrounge through some more next week.

Unfortunately, I do not have a table saw yet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I’ve tried a few commercial type workbenches and one homemade one in this corner of my garage and haven’t been happy with any of them. Yesterday morning I was looking at a pile of steel and decided to make a better one. I have a few heavy steel benches in the middle of my garage but this one is going to be a light duty gunsmith bench/desk.

The way the floor slopes near the wall and the footer sticking out just didn’t work for most premade benches. This one has 8 lag bolts holding it to the studs and 3 tapcons nailing it to the floor.

ETA: one last pic of it installed before it gets covered with junk:
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 10:42:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted: I’ve tried a few commercial type workbenches and one homemade one in this corner of my garage and haven’t been happy with any of them. Yesterday morning I was looking at a pile of steel and decided to make a better one. I have a few heavy steel benches in the middle of my garage but this one is going to be a light duty gunsmith bench/desk.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196570/5F090C63-953C-4CA5-9C87-BA337EF38A39-1033344.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196570/B915AA78-879A-40BA-861F-642272610674-1033343.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196570/EF4F9678-A5F0-469A-B829-7313AFE60428-1033348.jpghttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196570/E8AD95DB-4B9A-4360-AB30-0FA6CC2A6BFC-1033349.jpg

The way the floor slopes near the wall and the footer sticking out just didn’t work for most premade benches. This one has 8 lag bolts holding it to the studs and 3 tapcons nailing it to the floor.
View Quote
Nice work.

It is almost begging for a butcher-block top and one of those Wilton restorations you did.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Nice work.

It is almost begging for a butcher-block top and one of those Wilton restorations you did.
View Quote
Funny, I was thinking the same thing. I spent all my allowance on an old gun last week so I may have to wait for another paycheck to get the butcher block top. Those things are pricey.
Link Posted: 9/9/2019 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just moved into a new townhouse and starting to set up my garage. Got this awesome Bench Solutions 4' work bench that folds down when not in use. Also using Wall Control peg board for all the tools. You can use any type of peg board hooks/mounts to hold your tools. Next weekend I'm having the floor epoxied.

https://i.imgur.com/Or662g2.jpg
View Quote
Have a couple of these folding benches myself.  They're incredibly handy. Cannot be beat.
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 1:03:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Popular Mechanics has plans you can adapt.

I used the basic base but added a foot in length and made my own top.

Also added wheels.

It’s very solid.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/interior-projects/how-to/g2051/how-to-build-a-workbench/
Link Posted: 9/18/2019 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Popular Mechanics has plans you can adapt.

I used the basic base but added a foot in length and made my own top.

Also added wheels.

It's very solid.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/interior-projects/how-to/g2051/how-to-build-a-workbench/
https://i.imgur.com/MMDO5dk.jpg
View Quote
Do those wheels retract away so the bench sits directly on the floor?  Do you have the brand/model of them?
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Bench I made up a little bit back, Just basic 2x4 frame up with 4x4 legs boxed in at the bottom 30" work surface that's 8' long.  I used 3/4" plywood zipped down with some deck screws and sanded relatively smooth on the top.  I used the rest of the plywood sheet to make a half shelf on the bottom, the other half is reserved for a tool cart that fits neatly under it  I did not do it full with because i always hit my shins on the bottom and it gives me somewhere to stand.  Easy as pie, and very nice work surface very stable and level.  May not be as complex or pretty as some guys, but it works well for me.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/14/2019 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I built this last winter.  The frame is made of 2x4s and 4x6s.  The top is 2 3/4" plywood topped with an ESD/ chemical resistant rubber sheet.  I was planning on on hiring it to the wall but it's so heavy it doesn't need it.  Some day I will get around to making drawers for it.   The left drawer pocket will get a vice in it instead of a drawer.  I have my great grandfathers vice that I need to clean up before mounting.  It's one of the ones that mounts to the edge and the body/screw are under the bench.  If you look closely you can see the threaded mounts I imbedded in the wood.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top