Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2012 9:31:11 PM EDT
Had the dryer exhausted to the outside today.  Had an HVAC company come and run the 4" ductwork to the outside and install the dryer vent.  Dryer is in the basement, and had very limited options on where it could be vented.

They used one of these:

The problem is while in it's "rest" state, dryer not running, the flap stays open about 1".   It's not normal to stay that far open, is it?  I'm worrying about pests getting in it like birds and mice, etc.  Vent is about 8" above the ground.  If I press down on the circular flap, it feels like it wants to stay open, and will never shut and stay shut.    In WI, I shudder at the draft of cold air coming in.

The way it was installed onto the vinyl siding, it must not be exactly level.  Options?  (I'll probably send up calling them back to re-do that, if the flap opening isn't normal).

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be more comfortable if it was a little higher off the ground, too - looks like you're in snow country.  If the flap stays open, it ain't working right. Make the call.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#2]
If you cant put the vent higher - you can put a piece of ratwire across the bottom of the vent opening, but then you'd absolutely have to check it frequently to clean the lint off.

BIG trouble if you don't.

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I'd be more comfortable if it was a little higher off the ground, too - looks like you're in snow country.  If the flap stays open, it ain't working right. Make the call.

Yeah, figures I had the dryer running as he was leaving.  Went to inspect the handywork, and didn't catch the flap issue until laundry load was done.  argh.

I wish it was higher too.  At least the roof overhangs a little bit so snow usually never settles right up against the house.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2012 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If you cant put the vent higher - you can put a piece of ratwire across the bottom of the vent opening, but then you'd absolutely have to check it frequently to clean the lint off.

Damned if I do (lint risks with wire), and damned if I leave wire off and they get in :/

I guess I'll have the lid/flap thing addressed first and hope that's far enough off ground to keep the mice/rats/etc out of it.  Definitely should be closing shut with ease, and it's not.

Link Posted: 12/1/2012 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damned if I do (lint risks with wire), and damned if I leave wire off and they get in :/

I guess I'll have the lid/flap thing addressed first and hope that's far enough off ground to keep the mice/rats/etc out of it.  Definitely should be closing shut with ease, and it's not.

You could try duct-taping a fat washer or two to the lid, see if you can find just enough weight to close it but light enough that it'll blow open anyway....

Link Posted: 12/1/2012 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Call  the HVAC company and have them replace the defective part. After all, you PAID them to do the job right.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 11:20:20 AM EDT
[#7]
My house had one of those installed when I bought it... 2" off the ground under the porch that was 8" off the ground (no access). I knew it was stuck open because I kept getting mice in the dryer vent hookup by my dryer. Then I would cook 'em when I ran the dryer.

A year ago I had to do some deck repairs so I decided I was going to kill multiple birds with one stone and fix the deck and fix the dryer vent issues (more than one issue) all at once. I extended the vent out to the edge of the deck what the cap was accessible and re-installed it. It still wouldn't close after cleaning. As it turns out, the flap inside was bent in a way that prevent it from closing. A few "adjustments" to the bend angle on the flap and no problems since then.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My house had one of those installed when I bought it... 2" off the ground under the porch that was 8" off the ground (no access). I knew it was stuck open because I kept getting mice in the dryer vent hookup by my dryer. Then I would cook 'em when I ran the dryer.

A year ago I had to do some deck repairs so I decided I was going to kill multiple birds with one stone and fix the deck and fix the dryer vent issues (more than one issue) all at once. I extended the vent out to the edge of the deck what the cap was accessible and re-installed it. It still wouldn't close after cleaning. As it turns out, the flap inside was bent in a way that prevent it from closing. A few "adjustments" to the bend angle on the flap and no problems since then.

I have a similar vent. Get some quarter inch hardware cloth to prevent rodents from entering your house.

You will also need to clean your dryer ducts much more frequently.  On the timeline of at least three months or less if you dry clothes multiple times weekly.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a similar vent. Get some quarter inch hardware cloth to prevent rodents from entering your house.

You will also need to clean your dryer ducts much more frequently.  On the timeline of at least three months or less if you dry clothes multiple times weekly.

Was going to suggest this as well. Just remember to clean it out OP. Just roll it in with one of your chores. Only take a couple of mins anyhow. Mow the lawn, clean the vent. Shovel the drive, clean the vent.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:54:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They did this to the dryer vent at work. A couple months after moving into the new building guys were bitching about the dryer taking forever to dry clothes. They were having to dry their clothes for hours before they were somewhat dry. I went outside and checked the vent, it was completely clogged with lint. I'm surprised no one started a damn fire with how much crap was in there.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They did this to the dryer vent at work. A couple months after moving into the new building guys were bitching about the dryer taking forever to dry clothes. They were having to dry their clothes for hours before they were somewhat dry. I went outside and checked the vent, it was completely clogged with lint. I'm surprised no one started a damn fire with how much crap was in there.

I check mine but it doesnt really build up.

fwiw OP I did mine myself and my problem with the vents Home Depot sold like yours. a good bit of them did exactly that. the flaps wouldnt move freely or would stick open
I went with the plastic setup and the plastic animal guard they sell to go over it. its gets a little lint on the guard about once every 3 months I clean it.
I am pretty crazy about the dryer lint trap being cleaned every single load.
my wife doesnt seems to think that matters
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Take the dryer loose from the duct, take any outside wire off, put a leaf blower to the duct from the inside.

That part about 'from the inside' is important.

And an electric blower works better inside the house.

Might want to drop a tennis ball into the duct first.

Sometimes the lawn outside the duct area looks like it got snowed on.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 2:06:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Take the dryer loose from the duct, take any outside wire off, put a leaf blower to the duct from the inside.

That part about 'from the inside' is important.
And an electric blower works better inside the house.

Might want to drop a tennis ball into the duct first.

Sometimes the lawn outside the duct area looks like it got snowed on.

Lol.

Don't give me ideas.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 2:08:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 3:33:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Glue a penny or nickel to the bottom of the flap.  When air flows through, the flap will open.  When not in use, the weight of the coin will keep it closed.

That's a pretty good idea, why didn't I think of that?
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Birds can learn how to open them and enter the line.

I used to watch the starlings go in the neighbors bathroom vent.

The plastic ones with multiple vanes seem to stop them though.

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.amazon.com/Lambro-Ind-289W-Dryer-Closure/dp/B000BOB1FI/ref=pd_sim_hi_7

there's a more expensive version from a different manufacturer as well.  not sure what the difference is.
Link Posted: 12/6/2012 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

http://www.amazon.com/Lambro-Ind-289W-Dryer-Closure/dp/B000BOB1FI/ref=pd_sim_hi_7

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21JvDsJBreL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

there's a more expensive version from a different manufacturer as well.  not sure what the difference is.

Not bad, I wonder how well that keeps rain/snow out.  Also another "bend" in the system, but at least it's not facing the ground for mr. mice.

Link Posted: 12/6/2012 12:39:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Glue a penny or nickel to the bottom of the flap.  When air flows through, the flap will open.  When not in use, the weight of the coin will keep it closed.

I'll have to see how that works.  The metal still seems pretty rigid where it wants to stay about 1/4th of an inch open.  If I press hard on the metal of the flap, it seems to stay pretty much closed until the dryer runs again.

I'll try to get some pictures to show how it's sitting at rest.

Link Posted: 12/6/2012 12:41:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was going to suggest this as well. Just remember to clean it out OP. Just roll it in with one of your chores. Only take a couple of mins anyhow. Mow the lawn, clean the vent. Shovel the drive, clean the vent.

Problem is I'm going to turn the house into a rental, and I don't trust the tenants to clean that out.  I suppose I could add it to the list to clean out everytime I do furnance filter visits.  But I just don't like the idea of having a cover over the exit, especially if tenants are bad about cleaning the dryer lint trap.

Link Posted: 12/7/2012 6:20:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21JvDsJBreL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not bad, I wonder how well that keeps rain/snow out.  Also another "bend" in the system, but at least it's not facing the ground for mr. mice.

Here's some pics of the identical, but more expensive, Heartland unit.  You can see from the illustration how the air is vented, and that there is nothing open to the elements.  The top cap that you do see is actually just there for clean out.  All the magic happens inside the unit.

It's not the most attractive unit, though and some say it's larger than you would think.  My dryer is on the 2nd floor which means to clean it i need a ladder which makes the above kind of a pain in the ass, I'd imagine.  

I also found these for a reasonable price that also have a trap door inside the unit to prevent critters and back drafts:

http://www.seiho.com/product/sfz/sfz.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEIHO-ALUMINUM-DRYER-VENT-4-with-BDD-SFZC4-/160932601860?pt=Air_Conditioner&hash=item257854a004

I personally like the look of the Seiho a lot better, but it's more expensive.  I'm also curious how it performs with the fixed louvers on the outside and the lint that gets stuck.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 8:20:38 AM EDT
[#22]
OP:
Sorry but that specific type of vent just isn't worth a damn.  I know because I had that same one in my house.  The stupid flap will get stuck in the open position mainly because of the design of the metal is junk.

Get something at a local Lowes or whatever that has plastic flaps, Deflecto is one company that comes to mind.  These things are relatively easy to replace if you are handy enough.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 10:36:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP:
Sorry but that specific type of vent just isn't worth a damn.  I know because I had that same one in my house.  The stupid flap will get stuck in the open position mainly because of the design of the metal is junk.

Get something at a local Lowes or whatever that has plastic flaps, Deflecto is one company that comes to mind.  These things are relatively easy to replace if you are handy enough.

thats what mine is.  flaps open and close no problems, would spend the extra bucks for the plastic cage that snaps over it
as I said earlier. it does get a tiny bit of lint buildup on the cage part but its a clean every 3 months type of thing
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OP:

thats what mine is.  flaps open and close no problems, would spend the extra bucks for the plastic cage that snaps over it

as I said earlier. it does get a tiny bit of lint buildup on the cage part but its a clean every 3 months type of thing
Just be careful with the plastic flaps, especially if it's exposed to sunshine.

The UV rays will make them either brittle or gummy (depending on who made it) and you might find yourself inadvertently snapping a flap that seemed fine last time.

Link Posted: 12/8/2012 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OP:

Just be careful with the plastic flaps, especially if it's exposed to sunshine.

The UV rays will make them either brittle or gummy (depending on who made it) and you might find yourself inadvertently snapping a flap that seemed fine last time.

Hardly any sunlight on the vent side of the house.  Fence and trees.  I'm game for upgrading to a better vent, this one is junk.  Will just have to re-caulk around the new vent, but that's no big deal.  I was at lowes yesterday to scope a few things out.   They did have the plastic flap one there in stock.

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a similar issue with that type of dryer vent and ended up with extremely long dry times due to birds getting in there.
old vent

after ripping it out and finding bird nest inside the pipe.

replaced with this one

found here
Imperial Dryer vent at lowes
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I had a similar issue with that type of dryer vent and ended up with extremely long dry times due to birds getting in there.

old vent

http://www.njrod.com/images/hf/dryervent1.jpg

http://www.njrod.com/images/hf/dryervent2.jpg

replaced with this one

http://www.njrod.com/images/hf/dryervent3.jpg

found here

Nice!!   They didn't cut my vinyl siding when the vent hole was made and vent installed.  If I get this vent, should I cut the vinyl around the vent outline?  It sits on top of the siding as is.  Not very flush.  Any tips?

This video pretty wells looks like the original install.  Note the vent just lays on top the siding.

Link Posted: 12/9/2012 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
old vent
http://www.njrod.com/images/hf/dryervent1.jpg
http://www.njrod.com/images/hf/dryervent2.jpg

replaced with this one
http://www.njrod.com/images/hf/dryervent3.jpg
found here

Nice!!   They didn't cut my vinyl siding when the vent hole was made and vent installed.  If I get this vent, should I cut the vinyl around the vent outline?  It sits on top of the siding as is.  Not very flush.  Any tips?  

This video pretty wells looks like the original install.  Note the vent just lays on top the siding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsHHcp_m3xM&sns=em

the vent has a flange.which you tuck under the siding. mine is aluminum so a set of tin shears was all it took to get the opening right. I remember there was 4 screws as well that i used to screw the flange on. it does use the internal 4" round connection..

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top