Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2012 7:28:35 PM EDT
I have a question about a chimney chase.  The chase is in the side of a two story house.  The chase begins at the first floor and goes up past the roof line (hop roof) about 12 feet.  From what I have read, the inside of the first and second floor walls of the chase should be insulated and sheetrocked.  When the chase leaves the top of the second floor it should be firstopped (and between the first and second floor as well).  When the chase becomes free standing is where I have much conflicting advice.  By code I need to sheet rock the inside of the entire chase, but what about insulation once I hit the roof line?  I am assuming the chase is not outside the thermal envelope of the building and insulation may only help the flue draw better?  My main concern is do I need to vent the chase above the roof line?  I basically have an enclosed boc that is exposed to temp extremes.  Anyone have advice or experience with this?

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen the inside of a chase sheet rocked around these parts, I rebuilt one last week that was rotted, fire stop was sheet metal from floor to floor, framing past the roof line was sheathed and sided, we vented the chase lower near the firebox.  They are all built like that here in Mo/KS, What is the crown detail?
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  You vented the chase at the bottom, what about at the top?  I am thinking of having my cap made with a penetration diameter that is slightly larger then the flue so air can escape from the chase.  Are your chases insulated from the rooms?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top